Compatibility Issue with JDK 1.5.0

2004-06-16 03:24:09 AM
jbuilder1
I am running JBuilder8 Enterprise edition, and I recently tried using Sun's
new 1.5.0 JDK for an existing application. When doing so, I am receiving
the following error(s). They occur everytime that I add a new tab to a
JTabbedPane. Here is a copy of the error message:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassFormatError:
Duplicated LocalVariableTable attribute entry for 'base' in class file
com/borland/dbswing/DBUtilities
I am wondering if the dbswing jars are not compatible with the 1.5.0 JDK, or
if there is some other problem that I am overlooking.
Thanks for your help,
Nick

Re:Compatibility Issue with JDK 1.5.0

Nick wrote:
I am running JBuilder8 Enterprise edition, and I recently tried using Sun's
new 1.5.0 JDK for an existing application. When doing so, I am receiving
the following error(s). They occur everytime that I add a new tab to a
JTabbedPane. Here is a copy of the error message:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassFormatError:
Duplicated LocalVariableTable attribute entry for 'base' in class file
com/borland/dbswing/DBUtilities

I am wondering if the dbswing jars are not compatible with the 1.5.0 JDK, or
if there is some other problem that I am overlooking.

Thanks for your help,
Nick

JBuilder 8 is about 18 months old now, and was released FAR in advance
of JDK 1.5, which is still in BETA. Your first thought is most likely
correct, they are NOT compatible.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:Compatibility Issue with JDK 1.5.0

You don't have to worry, JBuilderX doesn't support JDK 1.5.0 either.
Btw, when is Borland going to officially support 1.5?
IMHO, all they have to do is recompile their libraries with JDK 1.5.
(ok, maybe they have to resolve all the deprecated calls and change a bit
of swing interface logic)
regards,
Dar7yl (the 7 is silent)

dar7yl wrote:
You don't have to worry, JBuilderX doesn't support JDK 1.5.0 either.
Btw, when is Borland going to officially support 1.5?
IMHO, all they have to do is recompile their libraries with JDK 1.5.
(ok, maybe they have to resolve all the deprecated calls and change a
bit
of swing interface logic)

regards,
Dar7yl (the 7 is silent)

Although I have no official knowledge of this, it would be quite unusual for
Borland to support 1.5 while it is still in beta.
Whatg changes could be made in the core of the SDK and jre before the final
release? I doubt that Borland would want to take a chance on making these
kinds of gambles.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:31:32 -0700, "dar7yl" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Btw, when is Borland going to officially support 1.5?
IMHO, all they have to do is recompile their libraries with JDK 1.5.
(ok, maybe they have to resolve all the deprecated calls and change a bit
of swing interface logic)
"all they have to do"? You should look at the size of the JBuilder
libraries that comprise the IDE. That's hundreds of thousands of
lines of code. It's an *enormous* development and regression effort
to change JDKs.
Regardless - JDK 1.5 is still in beta. Borland's policy in the past
has been to *not* support a JDK until it's in official release. I see
no reason for them to change this now. Changes to core JDK libraries
can and *will* happen between now and final release. Recompiling
JBuilder and threatening it's stability in the name of being "bleeding
edge" is hardly worth it, IMNHO.
Oh yea, I have a blog: mywebpages.comcast.net/daorriss/
Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

David Orriss, Jr. [TeamB] wrote:
"all they have to do"? You should look at the size of the JBuilder
libraries that comprise the IDE. That's hundreds of thousands of
lines of code. It's an *enormous* development and regression effort
to change JDKs.
Not to mention that if it was really that easy you wouldn't need to
recompile anything. JDK 1.5 can run classes compiled with JDK 1.4. All
you would need to do is change the jdk.config file to run JBuilder with
JDK 1.5.
Oh, but wait. That doesn't work. Maybe it's not so simple.
In an application as big as JBuilder there are all kinds of little
incompatibilities, bug workarounds, etc. that won't work on a new JDK.
Also, for it to be of any real use you'd want it to actually take
advantage of the new JDK with support for things like enum, generics,
and so forth.
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Re:Compatibility Issue with JDK 1.5.0

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I came off a bit negative.
As a developer myself, I a well aware of the scope of such an undertaking.
"It's just a Simple Matter of Programming" (SMP).
Judging by the response I received, it seems Borland is right-on-top of the
conversion, and we can expect an announcement soon after 1.5 is officialy
released.
regards,
Dar7yl (the 7 is silent)
ps, this conversation belongs in another group, which do you suggest?

Borland wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I [...]
Several times now, you have used the moniker/id of "Borland".
Please change this, since it may cause confusion by giving
readers the impression that you somehow represent Borland.
Obviously, you do not intend to do that, so it would be
courteous of you to correct your id. (In addition, you
may be violating newsgroup rules by using "Borland" in
your id.)
Thanks.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Borland wrote:

>Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I [...]

Several times now, you have used the moniker/id of "Borland".
Please change this, since it may cause confusion by giving
readers the impression that you somehow represent Borland.
Obviously, you do not intend to do that, so it would be
courteous of you to correct your id. (In addition, you
may be violating newsgroup rules by using "Borland" in
your id.)

Sorry about that. I just changed machines and quickly set up MacroSchlock's
newsreader. Put the wrong thing in the wrong box. Won't happen again.
regards,
Dar7yl