dbSwing and ORM

2006-01-25 10:39:09 PM
jbuilder7
Is it possible to use dbSwing for data-enabled GUI widgets together with O/R
mapping tools like Hibernate? How hard is it to integrate the two?
Bruce

Re:dbSwing and ORM

Bruce Alspaugh wrote:
Is it possible to use dbSwing for data-enabled
GUI widgets together with O/R mapping tools
like Hibernate?
Probably not. dbSwing components are simply
Swing components into which DataExpress models
can be plugged. DataExpress is not an OR mapper
per se because it stops at the step which Cayenne
calls "DataRow": not exactly "raw" rows of a resultset,
but not transformed into Java objects.
How hard is it to integrate the two?
My guess is that you'd be spinning your wells trying
to wedge Hibernate into dbSwing.
You'd be better off looking for a rich-client component
set that mates Swing components with Hibernate or Cayenne
data models. Look at Cayenne's "DataView" components;
there's an example called "HRDataView" which you have
to download separately from Cayenne itself:
objectstyle.org/cayenne/examples/index.html
In general, with Swing's pluggable data model, you
craft the model to the underlying data access
technology you are using. Each model is going to
be different because the API to the underlying data
access components/technology is different.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives: