How to make applet that search HTML pages or local file, database

2003-09-16 02:35:11 PM
jbuilder13
I'm software developer for 10 years,
mostly in Borland tools (Delphi,CBuilder).
Now I need to build some Web/CD application
which use to search throw some sort of database:
HTML pages, local text file, real database...
Which way is right ?
I choose JBuilder 9,
because I know Borland development IDE.
But, I'm new in Java.
I'm learning it for a one year,
so basic terms in that language is close to me.
When I read official PDF's from JBuilder,
I still don't know how to do it.
I successfuly make applet,
that work on JDK 1.4.2.,
but I'm stucked in database field...
Please, help me with some instructions...
Best regards to everyone in this newsgroup...

Re:How to make applet that search HTML pages or local file, database

You're going to want to consider a different approach. Applets are
not good for examining data on local storage because they need to be
signed. What you might want to consider is making a webpage that uses
a servlet. The servlet does the search work you need and then returns
the results to the web browser. It still wouldn't search the files of
the user accessing the page but it would search files on the hosting
system. It could also search a database, and so on.
HTH.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:35:11 +0200, "Informacioni Centar"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I'm software developer for 10 years,
mostly in Borland tools (Delphi,CBuilder).

Now I need to build some Web/CD application
which use to search throw some sort of database:
HTML pages, local text file, real database...

Which way is right ?

I choose JBuilder 9,
because I know Borland development IDE.

But, I'm new in Java.
I'm learning it for a one year,
so basic terms in that language is close to me.

When I read official PDF's from JBuilder,
I still don't know how to do it.

I successfuly make applet,
that work on JDK 1.4.2.,
but I'm stucked in database field...

Please, help me with some instructions...

Best regards to everyone in this newsgroup...

Save yourself some time and check these sites:
Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:How to make applet that search HTML pages or local file, database

Hallo David,
I have the same problem, because I need a browser for my files and folders
on the webserver. Can I build my browser with JavaScript or must I use
an Servlet?
Do you have an Servlet-Example for me?
Thanks
Jasper

--
David Orriss Jr. *TeamB*
www.davenet.net/

Save yourself some time and check these sites:

Borland Newsgroup Search:
Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic:

Re:How to make applet that search HTML pages or local file, database

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:45:59 +0200, "Jasper Friese"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Hallo David,

I have the same problem, because I need a browser for my files and folders
on the webserver. Can I build my browser with JavaScript or must I use
an Servlet?
Actually most web servers allow this automatically. Apache, for
example, calls it their "Fancy Indexing" option or something like
that. See what your Webserver provides for this feature. That's what
I would do given a similar situation.