Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

2003-07-17 12:25:46 AM
jbuilder2
Many times, I experience slow responsiveness while using the IDE. For
example, after building my project I have waited for about a minute before
the editor responds.
In my jbuilder.config, I have turned on the incremental garbage collection
as well as set the initial heap space to 128MB.
Any other suggestions that I can do to make the IDE respond faster.
Michael Walker
System Arts, Inc.

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

Michael Walker wrote:
Many times, I experience slow responsiveness while using the IDE. For
example, after building my project I have waited for about a minute before
the editor responds.

In my jbuilder.config, I have turned on the incremental garbage collection
as well as set the initial heap space to 128MB.

Any other suggestions that I can do to make the IDE respond faster.

Michael Walker
System Arts, Inc.

What version of JBuilder? What are the specs on your machine?
Processor speed, memory, etc? Are you running other applications at the
same time?
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

In my jbuilder.config, I have turned on the incremental garbage collection
That really doesn't help in the 1.4.x series (definitely not in 1.4.1,
which is the JDK that hosts JBuilder). I've posted about this before.
as well as set the initial heap space to 128MB.
That may or may not help - it really depends on your maximum heap size
and how much physical memory you have. If you're running on Windows,
fire up your Task Manager and switch to the view of the CPU utilization
(or just iconize it, and look at the CPU load bar in the SysTray), and
also watch your "disk activity" light, when this pause happens.
If the CPU is pegged at 100% and the disk activity is low during this
long pause, then that means that your garbage collection is
CPU-intensive (i.e. it already has all its pages in memory, but is just
doing lots of work). Increasing your maximum heap size may help (but
keep it well below your physical memory size).
If, on the other hand, your disk light is solidly on and the CPU load is
low, then that means that the garbage collection is spending all its
time paging in the pages it wants to garbage collect. This means that
you've set your max heap size too high (and lots of your process pages
have been swapped out to disk); you may either have to bring down your
max heap size, or if it's already low (<= 192MB), you may want to
increase your physical memory size if you can.

{smallsort}

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

Sorry to leave this info out. Here is the information you requested:
JBuilder Version: 9.0.125.0
CPU: 2.4Gz Pentium 4
RAM: 512Mb
I have experienced poor performance even when I don't have any other apps
running.
"Lori Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Michael Walker wrote:
>Many times, I experience slow responsiveness while using the IDE. For
>example, after building my project I have waited for about a minute
before
>the editor responds.
>
>In my jbuilder.config, I have turned on the incremental garbage
collection
>as well as set the initial heap space to 128MB.
>
>Any other suggestions that I can do to make the IDE respond faster.
>
>Michael Walker
>System Arts, Inc.

What version of JBuilder? What are the specs on your machine?
Processor speed, memory, etc? Are you running other applications at the
same time?

--

Regards,

Lori Olson (TeamB)

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

That may or may not help - it really depends on your maximum heap size
and how much physical memory you have. If you're running on Windows,
fire up your Task Manager and switch to the view of the CPU utilization
(or just iconize it, and look at the CPU load bar in the SysTray), and
also watch your "disk activity" light, when this pause happens.
My max heap size is set at 256Mb. During the time where the IDE is not
responding, The CPU
usage, according to the Task Manager is near 0%. I don't believe the disk
is active
during this period.
Just for reference, I'm repeating my system configuration below:
JBuilder Version: 9.0.125.0
CPU: 2.4Gz Pentium 4
RAM: 512Mb
"Shankar Unni" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>In my jbuilder.config, I have turned on the incremental garbage
collection

That really doesn't help in the 1.4.x series (definitely not in 1.4.1,
which is the JDK that hosts JBuilder). I've posted about this before.

>as well as set the initial heap space to 128MB.

That may or may not help - it really depends on your maximum heap size
and how much physical memory you have. If you're running on Windows,
fire up your Task Manager and switch to the view of the CPU utilization
(or just iconize it, and look at the CPU load bar in the SysTray), and
also watch your "disk activity" light, when this pause happens.

If the CPU is pegged at 100% and the disk activity is low during this
long pause, then that means that your garbage collection is
CPU-intensive (i.e. it already has all its pages in memory, but is just
doing lots of work). Increasing your maximum heap size may help (but
keep it well below your physical memory size).

If, on the other hand, your disk light is solidly on and the CPU load is
low, then that means that the garbage collection is spending all its
time paging in the pages it wants to garbage collect. This means that
you've set your max heap size too high (and lots of your process pages
have been swapped out to disk); you may either have to bring down your
max heap size, or if it's already low (<= 192MB), you may want to
increase your physical memory size if you can.

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

On W2K, JB9 has huge memory leak ... which can cause big time performance
problem.
Are you on W2K/XP?
-D

news:3f15861a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Dan Tran wrote:
On W2K, JB9 has huge memory leak ... which can cause big time performance
problem.

There are no bug reports about such a problem in JB9. If this is a
problem for you, then you should probably be reporting it.
qc.borland.com
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)
question.
Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

Dan:
I've seen reports of increased memory usage, but that doesn't
necessarily mean a leak. If you've got a reproducible case of a leak
(or at least think you do because you can't tell for sure without a
profiler on Windows), you should log it. These are informal, peer
supported groups. Borland provides the disk space and a few borlanders
along with TeamB help out on their time (uncompensated) so it's not a
lock that the elves will log a bug based on a claim with no semblence of
steps to reproduce.
Heck, Elvis sitings have been confirmed on the newsgroups, too. Doesn't
mean we need to dig up his coffin to check. :)
-Rich
Dan Tran wrote:
I am very surprise that there is no bug report for this, since It has been
comfirmed in this group before.

-D

"Lori Olson (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3f16c72c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Dan Tran wrote:
>

>>On W2K, JB9 has huge memory leak ... which can cause big time

performance

>>problem.
>>

>There are no bug reports about such a problem in JB9. If this is a
>problem for you, then you should probably be reporting it.
>
>qc.borland.com
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Lori Olson (TeamB)
>
>------------
>
>Save yourself, and everyone else, some time and search the
>newsgroups and the FAQ-O-Matic before posting your next
>question.
>
>Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
>www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
>Other Newsgroup Searches:
>www.borland.com/newsgroups/ngsearch.html
>Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:
>www.visi.com/~gyles19/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Re:Experiencing poor performance while using IDE

may be Borland should make reporting mechanism more friendly like using
JIRA!!! ;-)
-Dan