Does JB9 raise its own CPU priority?

2003-07-07 06:40:11 AM
jbuilder4
JBuilder has had (since JB8) these bugs in the editor that cause it to
spin in an infinite loop if there are certain syntax errors in the file
(the combo that triggers it seems to be poorly understood).
It's usually been easy to just kill JB and start a new one. But with
JB9, it's now a big problem because the process seems to be almost
uninterruptible. It does not respond to "X" on the title bar, and also
to right-click/close on the icon in the task bar. Worse, at that point,
the system itself (Win XP SP1) becomes nearly unresponsive. Only the JB
window is responsive - it can raise and lower itself. Everything else
(including right-click on clock and bring up Task Manager) is inoperative.
It's almost as if JB9 is running in some sort of real-time priority. Is
it? Has someone at Borland tried to make JB9 "more responsive" to
compensate for Swing sluggishness by jacking up its own priority to the
max? Please tell me it ain't so. If y'all did this, you'd better bring
it back down..
When this happens, windows is not hung, it just takes a *VERY LONG* time
to respond. In my case, I tried bringing up the task manager 5 or 6
times, and finally gave up, and tried to log out (that also didn't work
too well - processes weren't getting enough CPU time to shut down), then
tried to shut down (again, I had to do this 2 or 3 times). At that
point, (nearly 5 minutes into this process, now) somehow, the system got
enough CPU to suddenly bring up 6 Task managers (!! including 6 little
CPU meters in the SysTray), and then the Logon process died and the
system crashed.
So it looks like JB9 is militantly grabbing CPU cycles, even from the
kernel and window manager. Bad news..

Re:Does JB9 raise its own CPU priority?

On 7/6/2003 at 6:40:11 PM, Shankar Unni wrote:
So it looks like JB9 is militantly grabbing CPU cycles, even from
the kernel and window manager.
JBuilder is a pure Java program and there is nothing in Java that would
allow a program to do this. If that is happening, the problem must be
in the JVM or in the host operating system.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]