Kylix now officially alive?

2004-12-05 03:21:13 AM
kylix0
Sorry for the provocating subject line ;)
For those of you who haven't noticed, Borlands Danny Thorpe recently has given quite a few
indications of a planned Kylix update.
The most recent one is this:
"We're working on the Kylix compiler plan. There is strong interest in updating Kylix, but
nothing I can say for sure about Kylix compiler plans. Main focus is bringing platform
support up to latest Linux OS levels."
(From the live chat with Danny Thorpe on Delphi 2005,
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,32789,00.html)
At least we now have a more positive subject line to discuss under than the previous one ;)
Simon

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

Simon Kissel wrote:
"We're working on the Kylix compiler plan. There is strong interest in updating Kylix, but
nothing I can say for sure about Kylix compiler plans. Main focus is bringing platform
support up to latest Linux OS levels."
This is certainly good to hear, but one of the main problems is the old
Qt binding in combination with the 'buggy' IDE...
Just my 0.2
Willi

Willi Krenn wrote:
but one of the main problems is the old Qt binding
That's where the FreeCLX community project comes into action.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Simon Kissel wrote:
Sorry for the provocating subject line ;)
There was never any doubt <G>;)
For those of you who haven't noticed, Borlands Danny Thorpe recently has given quite a few
indications of a planned Kylix update.

The most recent one is this:

"We're working on the Kylix compiler plan. There is strong interest in updating Kylix, but
nothing I can say for sure about Kylix compiler plans. Main focus is bringing platform
support up to latest Linux OS levels."

Thanks for the post, certainly any news good news is great news :)
Please see my reply to you I made a few minutes ago in the 'Is there a
future for Kylix? [from Borland...' - before I read this one.
To repeat something from it, the suggestion I made about Borland paying
CrossOver Office/Code Weavers to be exact to make the latest Delphi
Win32 IDE compatible like they did with MS Office XP for example.
Perhaps they would do it for free if Kylix developers will pay an
additional license for CrossOver Office? It would then be up to Code
Weavers to make sure their desktop stays stays compatible with the Kylix
IDE. This could be a win win senario for all of us..
On top of that if the FreeCLX community project work with the QT3?4
bindings are included, it could seriously re-invigorate lost interest in
Kylix and more.
I can see a great potential emerging :) continuing?
siegs

Simon Kissel wrote:
For those of you who haven't noticed, Borlands Danny Thorpe
recently has given quite a few indications of a planned Kylix
update.
Don't forget the compiler job posting from a while back. We never
heard if it was filled or abandoned, did we?
-Brion

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

Good.
Perhaps I will order another copy of Pro and keep it at office.
- lou

Brion L. Webster wrote:
Don't forget the compiler job posting from a while back. We never
heard if it was filled or abandoned, did we?
I don't think we ever knew if that was a Borland listing or not.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

"We're working on the Kylix compiler plan. There is strong interest in updating Kylix, but
nothing I can say for sure about Kylix compiler plans. Main focus is bringing platform
support up to latest Linux OS levels."

Sounds good. I'd be happy if Borland would simply sell a Delphi-Compiler
for Linux in the future. The "develop Linux on Windows"- people have
their solution already (Crosskylix) and the others could find a solution
for their Linux-IDE.
For the widgetset-part, be it CLX or not, we could use the (hopefully)
upcoming Qt3/4 solution from Andreas or a WxWidgets solution or
whatever, (maybe even my Qt3pas for the beginning
www.theo.ch/Kylix/qt3demoapp.png) combined with the RTL and
non-visual stuff from CLX.
In short: I'd happily use FPC and Lazarus if FPC was on the level of the
Kylix-Compiler. But it isn't. I need a Borland-Delphi-Compiler for Linux
with a future. That's all I _really_ need.
Only question: Is this economically interesting enough for Borland?
Maybe I've just found a good reason for myself to support the Crosskylix
approach.. ;-)

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

Danny was talking about a compiler plan, which is much less
expensive then an IDE and compiler. So maybe it is feasible.
theo wrote:

>"We're working on the Kylix compiler plan. There is strong interest in
>updating Kylix, but
>nothing I can say for sure about Kylix compiler plans. Main focus is
>bringing platform
>support up to latest Linux OS levels."

Sounds good. I'd be happy if Borland would simply sell a Delphi-Compiler
for Linux in the future. The "develop Linux on Windows"- people have
their solution already (Crosskylix) and the others could find a solution
for their Linux-IDE.
For the widgetset-part, be it CLX or not, we could use the (hopefully)
upcoming Qt3/4 solution from Andreas or a WxWidgets solution or
whatever, (maybe even my Qt3pas for the beginning
www.theo.ch/Kylix/qt3demoapp.png) combined with the RTL and
non-visual stuff from CLX.

In short: I'd happily use FPC and Lazarus if FPC was on the level of the
Kylix-Compiler. But it isn't. I need a Borland-Delphi-Compiler for Linux
with a future. That's all I _really_ need.

Only question: Is this economically interesting enough for Borland?

Maybe I've just found a good reason for myself to support the Crosskylix
approach.. ;-)
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

A first step can be to bring Delphi 2005 language in sync with the Kylix
compiler
and just release a command line compiler without VCL, IDE, etc. ...

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

Hmmm...
I for one would like an IDE on Linux. I would be even happy with something
that was just stable without the need for lots of comnponents. Just some
basic things to get some GUI apps built. I do not necessarily need a
de{*word*81} integrated in IDE (it would be nice). If I could just take a D7
app and recompile for linux, then a compiler only option would work, but my
goal is to primarily do Intraweb stuff w/Kylix along with some basic apps
including comandline and CGI for web. Perhaps an IDE where the compiler
plugs in and the IDE generates a minimum set of source that is compatible
with the compiler.
Just my $0.02
- Lou

theo wrote:

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

Well, everything is relative, but a compiler ;-)
You can hack into kwrite and compile on the command-line or write your
own litte IDE using Synedit and call the compiler in your code or
convince Eclipse to do this...
You can use Andrea's "Qt3 for Kylix" or my "Qt3pas" or something else to
get some widgets on the screen.
The real "show stopper" is an unsupported compiler.

On 2004-12-06, Nick Hodges [TeamB] < [email protected] >wrote:
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>Don't forget the compiler job posting from a while back. We never
>heard if it was filled or abandoned, did we?

I don't think we ever knew if that was a Borland listing or not.
There was an add of borland IIRC for Kylix in comp.compilers' weekly "open job
positions" postings somewhere in the summer IIRC.

theo wrote:
Well, everything is relative, but a compiler ;-)

The real "show stopper" is an unsupported compiler.
Which is what makes Lazarus so appealing.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
www.cpcug.org/user/delphi/index.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uopl/
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re:Kylix now officially alive?

In article <41b7549a$ [email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
theo wrote:
>Well, everything is relative, but a compiler ;-)

>The real "show stopper" is an unsupported compiler.

Which is what makes Lazarus so appealing.

Has any sort of data-aware support evolved yet in Lazarus?