Linux 2.4.x kernel

2003-08-20 01:16:01 PM
kylix2
Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
stable manner)
Don

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

Don wrote:
Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
stable manner)
This is not 1 kernel but a series of 21.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/
www.ibrox.demon.co.uk/

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

Ger Remmers wrote:
>Not with 2.4.18 and below
2.4.19 and up should be fine
On my Red Hat 9 with Kernel 2.4.20 the IDE's open/save dialog hangs.
With Kernel 2.4.21 this is not the case on my computer (PIII 650MHz)
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

D>Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
D>stable manner)
ALT Linux Master 2.2
Kernel: 2.4.20-up works mainly without problems
Of course it does not work in a stable manner. I'm just not noticed increase
of crashes and hangs from times of Mandrake 9.0 which was used AFAIR 2.4.18.

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

You should not use the kernel Red Hat incorporates into their distros.
Please use the generic kernels from www.kernel.org. The 2.4.21 kernel is
very stable with Kylix 3.
Chris Woodruff
"Don" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
stable manner)

Don

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

Dave Nottage (TeamB) wrote:

I wouldn't use Mandrake 9, mainly because it's impossible to debug anything
with Kylix in it.

Does this include Mandrake 9.1 or simply Mandrake 9.0?
--
Cheers,
Phillip Flores

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

Hello, Dave!
DNT>I wouldn't use Mandrake 9, mainly because it's impossible to debug
DNT>anything with Kylix in it.
Strange. I'm debug what i wanted on Mandrake 9.0 usually without problems. I
moved on ALT Linux Master 2.2. without any cogent reason, just because of
that new fancy things like KDE 3.1 and probably better support for russian
language.
My opinion - best distro for Kylix 3 is Mandrake 8.2. Just load into it
latest appropriate windowmanager and be happy.

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

I'm using Kylix 3 C++ on a RH7.2 with a kernel 2.4.20 built by myself.
It is relatively stable... (Don't forget to update the Qt.hpp file).
Fabien

Ender wrote:
>I wouldn't use Mandrake 9, mainly because it's impossible to debug
>anything with Kylix in it.

Strange. I'm debug what i wanted on Mandrake 9.0 usually without
problems.
Hm.. I wasn't able to. That was a straight install of 9.0 (ie no updates).
My opinion - best distro for Kylix 3 is Mandrake 8.2. Just load into
it latest appropriate windowmanager and be happy.
We're pretty happy with RH 7.3 so far <g>
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

Slackware 8.1 with 2.4.18 Kernel runs fine
(1.6GHz Pentium 4 with NVidia card.)
Don wrote:
Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
stable manner)

Don

--
Dave

Re:Linux 2.4.x kernel

hi,
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:44:46 -0400, dave wrote:
>Is Kylix 3 happy with this kernel? (ie does it install and work in a
>stable manner)
Slackware 8.1 with 2.4.18 Kernel runs fine (1.6GHz Pentium 4 with NVidia
card.)
debian 3.0 sid, kernel 2.4.18, nvidia drivers, gnome works very well :)
greetings
marcin