Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

2003-11-06 05:25:17 AM
kylix1
Pete Gajria wrote:
if you do get a newer winelib working please post the details on your
website & post
a msg in this newsgroup
The current state is that I get ./startdelphi relocation error
./bplvcl.6.9.so undefined symbol "DefMDIChildProcA".
The reason is that the original Kylix WineLib "dlls" require each other.
The new WineLib just require libwine.so and libwine_unicode.so but no
user32.dll.so, kernel32.dll.so, ... But I found a way how the WineLib
shared objects may require each other. (I hope it will work.)
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

On 11/06/03 02:09 +0900, Captain Jake wrote:
In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Peter Nunn < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>Even if its not from Borland, this sort of stuff can't help...
>
>www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php
>
>Peter Nunn

Well, I have no way to know if it can help or hurt. I use IE and it doesn't
display with any kind of
scrollbars, so I can's read most of it. So it is irrelevant.
Reprinted without permission:
Borland's Kylix in limbo
Paul Krill, InfoWorld
05/11/2003 08:01:55
Borland Software Corp.'s Kylix development software remains in
limbo, with no new release having been issued for a year and the
company not saying whether there will be an upgrade.
Kylix is a rapid application development environment for Linux
that supports both C++ and Delphi development. An attendee at the
BorCon conference in San Jose, California, this week expressed
doubt, during a question and answer session, that the company
would ever upgrade the product.
"If you can't resuscitate the patient, remove the feeding tube.
Don't just let it linger in a vegetative state," the attendee said.
Borland's Michael Swindell, director of product development for
Delphi 8, would only say that the company has not announced any
upgrade plans.
"We haven't announced the road map for the next version of
[Kylix]," Swindell said. When asked if there would even be an
upgrade, he responded, "That's the same question for any product."
Borland Chief Technology Officer Blake Stone stressed the
company's C++Builder as an alternative to Kylix.
"We do listen. We do pay a lot of attention to what the community
is telling us, and the community told us they need a solution
that is fairly different than Kylix. I think our C++Builder gives
Kylix people a taste of what they're looking for," Stone said.
But the company is listening to the user feedback, he added.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:33:00 -0800, BoBo wrote:
Any decent suggestions for Windows Delphi programmers who want to start
native Linux development in the near future? ... (Kylix is not supported
nor it is free of serious bugs)

I am a longtime Delphi user who loved the program, but not the OS and who
switched to Kylix a while back. I hope that Kylix stays on the boards but
I have switched to Perl/TK for a while which works well and has LOTS of
support. Don't want to go back to C++ unless every other language and IDE
just collapse - had enough unfindable buffer overruns and malpointing
pointers to last several lifetimes.
I am not 'abandoning Kylix', just putting it aside till I see what comes
out of the washrack from Borland. Since I do tons of text parsing, Perl
was the answer for my processing and for a while I was using Kylix as the
GUI caller for my Perl modules and it worked very well. Then Perl/TK came
along while I was desperately trying to find a replacement for Kylix.
TK is a good GUI for Linux but it is not a drag and drop form developer
like Delphi/Kylix. You have to textually specify as you build your form.
Takes a lot longer to build your visual stuff.
Keogh

{smallsort}

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

Thomas Miller wrote:
Maybe it is time to start helping with Lazarus. Since Novell has
taken over Suse, I expect some great things to happen quickly.
Sooner then later,
It was a good move; probably what we will see is a better
interoperability between Gnome and KDE desktops.

"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Peter Nunn < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >

Well, I have no way to know if it can help or hurt. I use IE and it doesn't
display with any kind of
scrollbars, so I can's read most of it. So it is irrelevant.
I use IE and I can. Of course *that* says nothing
about its relevance.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

No C++BuilderX The X is very important.
ken moffat wrote:
Peter Nunn wrote:

>Even if its not from Borland, this sort of stuff can't help...
>
>www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php
>
>Peter Nunn

Did he say; C++Builder gives kylix people a taste of what they're
looking for? Isn't Kylix exactly that? C++Builder for linux? I'm confused.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

Maybe it is time to start helping with Lazarus. Since Novell has
taken over Suse, I expect some great things to happen quickly.
Sooner then later, I hope we need to start programming software
for the desktop of Linux!!!!
Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Pete Gajria wrote:

>the open/save dialog bug is due to your kernel ver
>download a plain vanilla kernel 2.4.20 or greater & use that & it will
>fix the issue

You talk to the "wrong person". I (author of the unofficial Kylix 3 patch
suite) know this. But this is not the only IDE bug. As the Kylix 3 IDE is
almost the same IDE as Delphi 5 it should work as the Delphi 5 IDE (with
some differences). For example the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable
is not handled by Kylix IDE but by the WineLib layer. And the WineLib
version used by the Kylix IDE is very old.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Hilton Evans
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message <3faa2bae$2
@newsgroups.borland.com>...
I use IE and I can. Of course *that* says nothing
about its relevance.
It was just a joke anyway.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

So when is the last time Novell did anything *smart*? They have been
losers for years now.
Thomas Miller wrote:
Maybe it is time to start helping with Lazarus. Since Novell has
taken over Suse, I expect some great things to happen quickly.
Sooner then later, I hope we need to start programming software
for the desktop of Linux!!!!

Re:Re: The death of Kylix makes it into print...

It does not work. Now I can start ./delphi but before any graphical
element is shown there is a SEGV. And because I'm not that firm with Wine
I cannot (have not the time) fix it. Sorry, it was just a try. Perhaps
there is someone out there with more Wine development experience.