Qt Style on machine without KDE...?

2004-05-01 02:52:53 AM
kylix2
Hello,
I think I've asked this question, but I don't remember getting definite
answer...
I wonder if I can somehow use the same theme I use during Kylix
development in KDE on Mandrake 10 on a stripped down linux distribution
where no KDE/Qt, etc is instlled with my compiled Kylix application.
That is: I develop everything in Mandrake 10 and like how everything
looks, sizes, proportions, fonts... When I run compiled Kylix application
in bare-minimum environment (as the only X application without even a
Window Manager) - everything feels and is different...
How to use Mandrake's Qt style (or any other for that matter) on such a
bare environment so that Kylix-compiled application uses it.
Thank you in advance,
Sergei

Re:Qt Style on machine without KDE...?

Sergei Mutovkin wrote:
Hello,

I think I've asked this question, but I don't remember getting definite
answer...

I wonder if I can somehow use the same theme I use during Kylix
development in KDE on Mandrake 10 on a stripped down linux distribution
where no KDE/Qt, etc is instlled with my compiled Kylix application.

That is: I develop everything in Mandrake 10 and like how everything
looks, sizes, proportions, fonts... When I run compiled Kylix application
in bare-minimum environment (as the only X application without even a
Window Manager) - everything feels and is different...
How to use Mandrake's Qt style (or any other for that matter) on such a
bare environment so that Kylix-compiled application uses it.

Thank you in advance,
Sergei
I do not know how this is possible. If you are not using the QT widgetset,
nor GTK+, then you are probably using Athena or Motif widgetset. These
widgetsets will always have a different look and feel than KDE or GTK+.

Re:Qt Style on machine without KDE...?

What I mean is if I run/compile Kylix application in ICEwm it looks very
different from what I get if I run/compile in KDE... which is weird, but
that's how it works here... :(
So I want to force Kylix application belive that it runs under KDE all the
time and use some theme (style, colors, etc) that KDE uses.
Sergei
On Mon, 03 May 2004 22:43:20 -0400, pnichols wrote:
Sergei Mutovkin wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I think I've asked this question, but I don't remember getting definite
>answer...
>
>I wonder if I can somehow use the same theme I use during Kylix
>development in KDE on Mandrake 10 on a stripped down linux distribution
>where no KDE/Qt, etc is instlled with my compiled Kylix application.
>
>That is: I develop everything in Mandrake 10 and like how everything
>looks, sizes, proportions, fonts... When I run compiled Kylix application
>in bare-minimum environment (as the only X application without even a
>Window Manager) - everything feels and is different...
>How to use Mandrake's Qt style (or any other for that matter) on such a
>bare environment so that Kylix-compiled application uses it.
>

>Thank you in advance,
>Sergei

I do not know how this is possible. If you are not using the QT widgetset,
nor GTK+, then you are probably using Athena or Motif widgetset. These
widgetsets will always have a different look and feel than KDE or GTK+.

{smallsort}

Re:Qt Style on machine without KDE...?

Hello Sergei,
I believe that you are on a wrong way.
The reason for so many different window managers to exist is to provide a
different behaviator, look and feel.
So if the user claims that he/she likes a given style it is a kind of bad
idea to force him/she your way.
Moreover the KDE style causes much more load (processor and videocard
bandwitch) to be used. So if one haves slow PC and uses a minimalistic
manager because of this you will only cause big problems ...
Alex
P.S. I hate the "don't do this" kind of anwers too. But please let leave the
ideas behind Linux and X alive!

On Thu, 06 May 2004 00:29:41 +0200, Alexander wrote:
Hello Sergei,
I believe that you are on a wrong way.
The reason for so many different window managers to exist is to provide a
different behaviator, look and feel.
So if the user claims that he/she likes a given style it is a kind of bad
idea to force him/she your way.
Moreover the KDE style causes much more load (processor and videocard
bandwitch) to be used. So if one haves slow PC and uses a minimalistic
manager because of this you will only cause big problems ...

Alex
P.S. I hate the "don't do this" kind of anwers too. But please let leave the
ideas behind Linux and X alive!
Alex,
thank you for reply. The application we are developing is an embedded
application which will be run in a very limited environment without any
customization choices, etc (the application is a port of original Delphi
app and now must be run on bare X with no window manager or anything like
that).
Sergei

Re:Qt Style on machine without KDE...?

Hello Sergey,
Can you find some third-party library that will provide you with good
enought look of the application without messing with KDE?
If not you may probably edit init scripts of the KDE and disable all
panels/icons and background you don't like. You can connect to the server
the same way as to bare X server but the KDE will still be window manager.
In fact I had similar problem before (for an embed device) but finally we
decide to go back to fvwm and to live in peace.
Alex