Update

2004-12-02 10:02:22 AM
kylix0
Since we're all waiting for something to happen in the FreeCLX group,
and we're all developing Linux-Apps under Windows now (except me) I
thought that any Kylix related news is good news:
I've updated my links on www.theo.ch/kylix/ with some scripting
tools.
Btw: I've downloaded D2k5 and there's no CLX in it :-(
But even if there was, I've only got a 2GB Pentium so I'm out of luck
anyway. ;-)

Re:Update

theo wrote:
..
and we're all developing Linux-Apps under Windows now (except me) I
..
You are not alone :), I just can't emotionally motivate myself to
boot-up windows to create Linux applications.
siegs

Re:Update

On 12/02/2004 08:27 PM +0900, SiegfriedN wrote:
theo wrote:
..
>and we're all developing Linux-Apps under Windows now (except me) I
..

You are not alone :), I just can't emotionally motivate myself to
boot-up windows to create Linux applications.
Man, you are SO not kidding. The point is to finally get the apps needed
to make the final jump away from Windows, not to desperately cling to
it. :-(
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Update

Trane Francks < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Man, you are SO not kidding. The point is to finally get the apps
needed to make the final jump away from Windows, not to desperately
cling to it. :-(
I am trying out Python with wxPython.
Seems reasonable for my purposes so far.
And I dont have to use windows.

Re:Update

Trane Francks wrote:

>You are not alone :), I just can't emotionally motivate myself to
>boot-up windows to create Linux applications.

Man, you are SO not kidding. The point is to finally get the apps needed
to make the final jump away from Windows, not to desperately cling to
it. :-(
(probably makes good sense to you for your needs, but not to me right now)
Not sure if you mean 'cling' as in '..cling to windows' ? In which case
personally quite the opposite!
If I am able to make do with Kylix in the Linux environment, creating
Linux apps in Linux (yes, Kylix is a Windows app..however), why should I
then develop Linux apps on Windows? If I want to create windows apps I
would of course use Delphi on Windows. What's wrong with that? It's my
choice to work in Linux as much as I can/want to. Why not? Only when
Kylix is completely broken on Linux would I move to use Windows ->I
must admit it is good to know that option exists as a fallback and
I also admit I am worried that Borland may see this as a way to stab us
all in the back by withdrawing the Kylix IDE :(((
siegs

Re:Update

Israel T wrote:
I am trying out Python with wxPython.
Seems reasonable for my purposes so far.

And I dont have to use windows.
It may be great, but there are just too many brilliant Kylix 3rd party
components (like kbmMW) to use. It would be very hard to find
replacements for them in an alien environment. In the end you may come
back to Kylix again - I do not have that much time to experiment.
good luck anyways :)
siegs

Re:Update

(probably makes good sense to you for your needs, but not to me right now)

Not sure if you mean 'cling' as in '..cling to windows' ? In which case
personally quite the opposite!
I don't understand Trane's vote either. I think he wants the same thing
as we do: develop Linux-apps on Linux.
must admit it is good to know that option exists as a fallback and
I also admit I am worried that Borland may see this as a way to stab us
all in the back by withdrawing the Kylix IDE :(((

Definitely. I've also asked myself if Simon Kissel has instructions by
Borland to just do this. No offense Simon, but your "offer" really
killed any talk about the future of Kylix on Linux.

Re:Update

Theo,
Definitely. I've also asked myself if Simon Kissel has instructions by
Borland to just do this.
I don't get instructions by Borland. I don't take instructions from anyone,
coding-wise I'm a pretty free man ;)
No offense Simon, but your "offer" really
killed any talk about the future of Kylix on Linux.
I don't see how this could be killing the future of Kylix. IMHO any project
that gives back life and activity to the Kylix community will help Kylix'
future. Also CrossKylix might motivate more Delphi-users including Component
vendors to build their stuff to also be Linux/Kylix compatible. And this
would be a good thing also for those guys who wish to develop on Linux.
I understand your point that Borland could abuse CrossKylix as an excuse
for not doing anything on the Linux front. I doubt they will. CrossKylix
without updated on both the Kylix compiler and the CLX still is a dead-end,
and Borlands knows this.
Simon

Re:Update

theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:41b1028c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

Definitely. I've also asked myself if Simon Kissel has instructions by
Borland to just do this. No offense Simon, but your "offer" really
killed any talk about the future of Kylix on Linux.
I must say that this is the most insulting post that I have read in a
while. Just because Simon does not adhere to your thinking you accuse him
of {*word*97} with Borland, with a decidely negative connotation to the
accusation.
You, sir, are not worth conversing with.

Re:Update

Larry Drews wrote:
theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:41b1028c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>Definitely. I've also asked myself if Simon Kissel has instructions by
>Borland to just do this. No offense Simon, but your "offer" really
>killed any talk about the future of Kylix on Linux.

I must say that this is the most insulting post that I have read in a
while. Just because Simon does not adhere to your thinking you accuse him
of {*word*97} with Borland, with a decidely negative connotation to the
accusation.

You, sir, are not worth conversing with.
careful he could be your next customer or help you with a problem you
may have..
Some background.. I suppose we are getting too sensitive about Borland's
update cycle lack of information, etc of it's 'foster products' like
Kylix. (Lack of resources I believe). To some of us - although we admire
Simon's work and it is very relevant, but only as an alternative - we
are afraid that Borland may see this as a way to s{*word*99} the Kylix IDE (in
reality this is of course completely unfounded!) - in this realm of
uncertainty about the future of Kylix these 'conspiracies' can evolve
..sorry I must be going mad <g>it's late..
We all want Kylix to succeed. there is no need to have strong words
towards one another..
This thread is purely academic - please don't take things so seriously..
siegs

Re:Update

siegfriedn <sniedinger@yahoodotcodotuk>wrote in

[...]

Thank you for the caution. I guess I just have a short fuse for what I
consider impolite and rude behavior by some posters. I felt that his post
was just a cheap shot at someone who is providing a great deal of free
support by someone who doesn't seem to be contributing anything except
bile.
And I have been following these newsgroups for some time. And they have
continued to deteriorate in this manner. I guess I just feel that its time
that the rest of us (that means me in this case) need to make our opinions
known about that kind of behavior. There is no need to insult someone to
disagree with them. It was just a cheap form of character assasination.

Re:Update

Simon Kissel schrieb:

I don't get instructions by Borland. I don't take instructions from anyone,
coding-wise I'm a pretty free man ;)
O.K. I wouldn't mind if you did, I've just "asked myself" ;-)
You are in the FreeCLX-Admin group, so I hope your are "in touch" with
Borland in some way.
Also CrossKylix might motivate more Delphi-users including Component
vendors to build their stuff to also be Linux/Kylix compatible. And this
would be a good thing also for those guys who wish to develop on Linux.
That's right. But I am a little concerned that it might split the
remaining Kylix users in two groups: The ones happily booting windows
for making Linux-Apps and the others - like me - still looking for a
solution on Linux but feeling more and more left alone...;-)

I understand your point that Borland could abuse CrossKylix as an excuse
for not doing anything on the Linux front. I doubt they will. CrossKylix
without updated on both the Kylix compiler and the CLX still is a dead-end,
and Borlands knows this.

Let's hope...
P.S. Sorry for the "attack" but like siegs said "This thread is purely
academic". If I had a problem with you or your work, I'd silently remove
the link to your site on my kylix-page as a first measure ;-)
Theo

Re:Update

On 12/04/2004 09:19 AM +0900, theo wrote:

>(probably makes good sense to you for your needs, but not to me right now)
>
>Not sure if you mean 'cling' as in '..cling to windows' ? In which case
>personally quite the opposite!

I don't understand Trane's vote either. I think he wants the same thing
as we do: develop Linux-apps on Linux.
That's exactly what it's about, mate. I keep looking for the day when I
no longer *need* to have a Windows box for my own needs. I still have
apps on Windows for which there is no workable alternative on Linux. As
for Kylix, I like Delphi as a language and want to continue using it
under Linux. I don't want to boot into Windows to try and write my Linux
apps.
I sincerely hope we get a Kylix 4 in the year to come.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Update

>I don't get instructions by Borland. I don't take instructions from anyone,
>coding-wise I'm a pretty free man ;)

O.K. I wouldn't mind if you did, I've just "asked myself" ;-)
You are in the FreeCLX-Admin group, so I hope your are "in touch" with
Borland in some way.
Yes, I am. My company is a BTP, and I've been in contact with several people
at Borland for a long time anyway. Also, the Borland chats are running our
chat server software, which is written in Kylix.
Also CrossKylix might motivate more Delphi-users including Component
>vendors to build their stuff to also be Linux/Kylix compatible. And this
>would be a good thing also for those guys who wish to develop on Linux.

That's right. But I am a little concerned that it might split the
remaining Kylix users in two groups: The ones happily booting windows
for making Linux-Apps and the others - like me - still looking for a
solution on Linux but feeling more and more left alone...;-)
Well yes, people have different needs. It's up to Borland to decide this ;)
What joins is that we all want to do Linux applications using Delphi/Kylix.
P.S. Sorry for the "attack" but like siegs said "This thread is purely
academic". If I had a problem with you or your work, I'd silently remove
the link to your site on my kylix-page as a first measure ;-)
Ok ;)
After all we are "fighting the same battle". The only postings that really
offend me are the "Kylix is dead, move on" / "I use Lego mindstorms instead
of Kylix, check it out, it's a real alternative!!!!one" ones.
Simon

Re:Update

Simon Kissel wrote:
"I use Lego mindstorms instead of Kylix, check it out
Hey, I'm using Lego mindstorms and I'm even teaching it to 13 to 15 years
old pupils.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen