24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

2005-03-24 07:18:22 PM
kylix0
___________ www.mono-project.com/Main_Page ____________________
24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5
Mono 1.1.5 has been released; Major highlights include Nullable Types
and Fixed Size Buffer features in the compiler; Much more improved
Windows.Forms implementations; Increased performance, reduced memory usage.
See the detailed release notes here: www.go-mono.com/archive/1.1.5/
_______________________________
"Much more improved Windows.Forms implementations"
Does this help with using D2005 for Mono and/or port Delphi code to Mono
in any other way ?
-Michael

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Michael Schnell wrote:
Does this help with using D2005 for Mono and/or port Delphi code to Mono
in any other way ?
For the RTL I have a "to mono"-patch. For the IL time will show.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Michael Schnell wrote:
Does this help with using D2005 for Mono and/or port Delphi code to
Mono in any other way ?
If by that you mean running D2005 on Mono, I doubt. If it means running
apps created with D2005/WinForms on Mono, that might be worth a try,
depending on how advanced their implementation is.
--
Leonel

{smallsort}

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
For the IL time will show.
What do you mean by that? I suceeded running GUI applications on mono,
created with Delphi and wx.Net, so IL seems to be compatible.
--
Leonel

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Leonel wrote:
What do you mean by that?
Wasn't there a bug in Mono which had problems with overriden abstract
methods?
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Wasn't there a bug in Mono which had problems with overriden abstract
methods?
If there was, I wasn't affected by it. I didn't attempt to patch Delphi
RTL to be able to use SysUtils, Classes and others, though.
--
Leonel

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

If by that you mean running D2005 on Mono, I doubt.
AFAIK, D2005 itself is not a .NET application anyway (or am I wrong here).
If it means running
apps created with D2005/WinForms on Mono, that might be worth a try,
depending on how advanced their implementation is.

If project compiled by D2005 can run in Mono/Linux Borland can use it as
an excuse (valid or not is another question) to dump any effort on
Kylix. It could help not all but many of the abandoned Kylix user.
-Michael

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Michael Schnell wrote:
AFAIK, D2005 itself is not a .NET application anyway (or am I wrong
here).
It's a Win32 app that hosts the .net framework, AFAIK.
If project compiled by D2005 can run in Mono/Linux Borland can use it
as an excuse (valid or not is another question) to dump any effort on
Kylix. It could help not all but many of the abandoned Kylix user.
It could be a valid alternative, yes, but IMO native linux binaries
shouldn't be given up just yet.
--
Leonel

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

>AFAIK, D2005 itself is not a .NET application anyway (or am I wrong
>here).

It's a Win32 app
So it's a cross compiler, creating code in another "processor's" native
code than it runs on, itself.
that hosts the .net framework, AFAIK.
what does "host" mean here ?
It could be a valid alternative, yes, but IMO native linux binaries
shouldn't be given up just yet.

Of course you are right. There are appropriate applications (but
supposedly no hope).
-Michael

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Michael Schnell wrote:
So it's a cross compiler, creating code in another "processor's"
native code than it runs on, itself.
Yes, technically that is right, even though it sounds a bit odd. <g>

www.gotdotnet.com/team/clr/what_is_clr_hosting.aspx
--
Leonel

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Michael Schnell wrote:
>If by that you mean running D2005 on Mono, I doubt.

AFAIK, D2005 itself is not a .NET application anyway (or am I wrong
here).
No, it is Win32. It hosts the CLR, but that's it.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eigh{*word*249}."

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Leonel wrote:
Andreas Hausladen wrote:

>For the IL time will show.

What do you mean by that? I suceeded running GUI applications on mono,
created with Delphi and wx.Net, so IL seems to be compatible.
Leonel:
Can you share some doc/steps to make works a D2005 .NET app gui in
Linux/Mono?
I guess you are using only winforms, or you are using VCL forms?
TIA
German.

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Germán Pablo Gentile wrote:
Can you share some doc/steps to make works a D2005 .NET app gui in
Linux/Mono?
I had written an article for BDN, but it was never published. The
simple example for that article is on codecentral:
cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing
In short, add a reference to the wx.net assembly to the project,
compile it, copy to linux. Install the wx.net assembly on mono's gac,
and run your application.
I guess you are using only winforms, or you are using VCL forms?
No, I was using wx.net. Mono had basically no support for Winforms when
I tried, it should be an interesting experiment to try it now.
I think that VCL Forms won't ever work on mono (unless Borland puts a
major effort on it, which I don't see it happening).
--
Leonel

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Leonel wrote:
Germán Pablo Gentile wrote:

>Can you share some doc/steps to make works a D2005 .NET app gui in
>Linux/Mono?

I had written an article for BDN, but it was never published. The
simple example for that article is on codecentral:

cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing

In short, add a reference to the wx.net assembly to the project,
compile it, copy to linux. Install the wx.net assembly on mono's gac,
and run your application.

>I guess you are using only winforms, or you are using VCL forms?

No, I was using wx.net. Mono had basically no support for Winforms
when I tried, it should be an interesting experiment to try it now.

I think that VCL Forms won't ever work on mono (unless Borland puts a
major effort on it, which I don't see it happening).
AFAIK all the form is drawed in the code. I see have nothing to do with
Delphi/Kylix RAD.
Rigth me if im wrong.
German.

Re:24 Mar 2005: Mono 1.1.5

Germán Pablo Gentile wrote:
AFAIK all the form is drawed in the code. I see have nothing to do
with Delphi/Kylix RAD.

Rigth me if im wrong.
In wx.Net yes. Someone could write a designer for it, though. There are
some designers for Gtk#, which should work on mono too. They could be
adapted to generate Delphi code.
--
Leonel