What to use?

2004-02-10 07:19:53 PM
kylix1
Hi all.
I have a application that is written on Kylix, but I need another one part
that must have GUI, but it must be written on something that not need so
many and big shared objects (.so) like Borland's qt. So, my question is. Can
someone tell me what language or tool to use to write that part?
TIA.

Re:What to use?

"Anders" <Anders'at'cosmo.nl>wrote:
Hi all.

I have a application that is written on Kylix, but I need another one part
that must have GUI, but it must be written on something that not need so
many and big shared objects (.so) like Borland's qt. So, my question is.
Can someone tell me what language or tool to use to write that part?

TIA.
The natural one would be Java Swing. It might not be what you want to hear,
but it would be the natural choice for a GUI that is not totally dependent
upon the .so files needed by a QT or GTK+ application.
Of course, you could go to Motif and C if you wish., Still some
dependencies, but not as many that would be dependent upon the specific
libs (aka so's) used. TCL might be an option as well for Motif.

pnichols wrote:
The natural one would be Java Swing. It might not be what you want to
hear, but it would be the natural choice for a GUI that is not totally
dependent upon the .so files needed by a QT or GTK+ application.

Of course, you could go to Motif and C if you wish., Still some
dependencies, but not as many that would be dependent upon the specific
libs (aka so's) used. TCL might be an option as well for Motif.
The natural one would be pure C++/STL/BOOST/QT.
Advantages:
1. It work.
2. It work nearly everywhere.
3. It work fast (at least much faster than any Java).
Disadvantages:
1. Still same stupid C++
:-)

{smallsort}

Re:What to use?

The natural one would be pure C++/STL/BOOST/QT.
Advantages:
1. It work.
2. It work nearly everywhere.
3. It work fast (at least much faster than any Java).
Disadvantages:
1. Still same stupid C++

:-)
Ok, let's say that I'll use C++. So then can you tell me some good GUI
programming tool like Kylix.
TIA

Re:What to use?

I need another one
part that must have GUI, but it must be written on something that not
need so many and big shared objects (.so) like Borland's qt. So, my
Have a look here:
www.freepascal.org/
and here
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
It is often spoken about in the newsgroup.
Regards,
Oliver

Re:What to use?

"Anders" <Anders'at'cosmo.nl>wrote:
Ok, let's say that I'll use C++. So then can you tell me some good GUI
programming tool like Kylix.
Get yourself the latest SuSE and KDE3.2 and have a look at kdevelop3.
--
Ruurd

Re:What to use?

pnichols wrote:
>The natural one would be Java Swing. It might not be what you want to
>hear, but it would be the natural choice for a GUI that is not totally
>dependent upon the .so files needed by a QT or GTK+ application.
>
>Of course, you could go to Motif and C if you wish., Still some
>dependencies, but not as many that would be dependent upon the specific
>libs (aka so's) used. TCL might be an option as well for Motif.

The natural one would be pure C++/STL/BOOST/QT.
Advantages:
1. It work.
2. It work nearly everywhere.
3. It work fast (at least much faster than any Java).
Disadvantages:
1. Still same stupid C++

And so how is C++ going to remove the dependency factors for you? You will
still need all dependencies for whatever widgetset you are going to be
using, resident on the system. Java Swing will require some of the
dependencies, but for the most part, these would be loaded whenever you use
XWindows. This would not be true if you write a KDE app for instance, and
your users are using Gnome GTK+ interfaces.
No one is arguing that C++ would be faster, but I doubt on modern hardware,
your users will notice much, if any difference. However, using Java as the
GUI would be transferable across platforms with no rework or recompiles,
whereas with the C/C++ solution you would have to either link the sos
directly (which could cause conflicts with installed packages), and if you
intend to deliver it on multiple platforms, you are going to have to at
least compile for serveral platforms and more than likely, tweak the code
for each platform you are delivering to.
Depending upon what your GUI must do, however, C++ might be a better option,
or it may not be. The key is, "what are your requirements?"

Re:What to use?

"R.F. Pels" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem

Anders wrote:
Hi all.

I have a application that is written on Kylix, but I need another one part
that must have GUI, but it must be written on something that not need so
many and big shared objects (.so) like Borland's qt. So, my question is. Can
someone tell me what language or tool to use to write that part?

TIA.

use java
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:What to use?

pnichols wrote:
And so how is C++ going to remove the dependency factors for you?
All that three components can be linked statically. Even Qt.
You will
still need all dependencies for whatever widgetset you are going to be
using, resident on the system. Java Swing will require some of the
dependencies, but for the most part, these would be loaded whenever you
use XWindows. This would not be true if you write a KDE app for instance,
and your users are using Gnome GTK+ interfaces.
No one is arguing that C++ would be faster, but I doubt on modern
hardware, your users will notice much, if any difference.
If on my brand new P4 2.6GHz, 512Mb of RAM i personally see difference
between native and Java apps, so users will see difference also.
However, using
Java as the GUI would be transferable across platforms with no rework or
recompiles, whereas with the C/C++ solution you would have to either link
the sos directly (which could cause conflicts with installed packages),
and if you intend to deliver it on multiple platforms, you are going to
have to at least compile for serveral platforms and more than likely,
tweak the code for each platform you are delivering to.
Depending upon what your GUI must do, however, C++ might be a better
option, or it may not be. The key is, "what are your requirements?"
Exactly. For example my applications intend to process huge amounts of
information and work with prooperitary terabyte databases. For example it
is stream of images which should be compressed (WSQ), transferred across
network to the server and stored in the database.

Re:What to use?

>The natural one would be pure C++/STL/BOOST/QT.
>Advantages:
>1. It work.
>2. It work nearly everywhere.
>3. It work fast (at least much faster than any Java).
>Disadvantages:
>1. Still same stupid C++
>
>:-)
"Anders" <Anders'at'cosmo.nl>wrote:
Ok, let's say that I'll use C++. So then can you tell me some good GUI
programming tool like Kylix.
There is no good GUI programming tools like Kylix. Actualy Kylix is very
good as it use Delphi ideas, but it has too much problems itself. You
should look on the Qt designer. It somewhat difficult to use than Kylix but
after some time you will get used to it. Nothing scary. KDevelop may be
used also. CBuilderX + Qt may be good combination.

Re:What to use?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, "Anders"
<Anders'at'cosmo.nl>says...
Can
someone tell me what language or tool to use to write that part?
tools.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/04/02/02/1922256.shtml
Phil

Re:What to use?

Oliver Feins wrote:

>I need another one
>part that must have GUI, but it must be written on something that not
>need so many and big shared objects (.so) like Borland's qt. So, my

Have a look here:
www.freepascal.org/

and here

www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

It is often spoken about in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Oliver
I've try it... to install it. I put some new beta of free pascal, and
Lazarus can't detect it. And all my attempts to remove that FP version
are without a result. :-(

Re:What to use?

CBuilderX + Qt may be good combination.
Can CBuilderX be run under Linux ?

Re:What to use?

How big will be one sumple Application with one {*word*192} form "Hellow
World" written on J Swing, and the same App witten on C++ with Linked Qt's ?