Re: Sound good...is it?- Correction

2004-04-14 05:23:38 AM
kylix2
Ups!!
I read the main page of the project and is only available in japanese...

Re:Re: Sound good...is it?- Correction

mamcx escribi?
Ups!!

I read the main page of the project and is only available in japanese...

I tried coLinux in this Win2000 machine and it runs
nicely, I can pretty much assure it is not japanese :-)
screenshot:
www.vworkers.com/vruz/desktop.gif

Re:Re: Sound good...is it?- Correction

I tried coLinux in this Win2000 machine and it runs
nicely, I can pretty much assure it is not japanese :-)

screenshot:
www.vworkers.com/vruz/desktop.gif
Will it run Kylix? What are the demands on RAM and hard disk space?
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re:Re: Sound good...is it?- Correction

>screenshot:
>www.vworkers.com/vruz/desktop.gif
Will it run Kylix? What are the demands on RAM and hard disk space?
I haven't tested it yet with X, but you *should* be able
to run Kylix using an external X server for Win32, like X-Win32
or the one that comes with cygwin.
I have used Kylix that way across different machines,
starting it from within a Redhat 7.2 machine and it plays
nice with an X server on Fedora Core.
Kylix running from the coLinux virtual machine, across the
virtual tap network driver *should* work the same.
About RAM, there seems to be limitation currently, to 32 Mb
increments, if I understood well the documentation, I
should re-check this. Not sure if it is a Win2K limitation
or an implementation limitation.
There's no problem with the hard disk space, the filesystem
is mounted through a loop device, from an image file residing
in the Windows filesystem.
So the actual disk limitation is given by the size of the
linux distro you want to have installed and by the
available disk space in your windows fs.
The coLinux packages in sourceforge (at least the last time
I had a look at them) included two disk image files to
get you started, a Debian image and a Gentoo one.
The Debian one is a 20 mb compressed file, when uncompressed
it expands to 1 Gb, which was enough for my testing purposes.
I didn't get to check the Gentoo image.
Notice when you set-up your coLinux from those bundled images,
you have to reconfigure the virtual network card of the VM,
so that it can be seen from the outside, and thus used as an
X client or with any other network protocol.
I don't plan to use this in production, just having a look
at the possibilities, there's room for improvement, but
it looks very promising.
(probably putting some pressure on the VMware company)
Hope this helps,
vruz