Board index » kylix » Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Re: looking for a cross platform tool


2006-02-23 03:31:37 PM
kylix1
Quote
Forum:
news://news.dxmachine.com/public.mseide-msegui.talk
Martin, I have to say the posts have been very positive about your work.
everybody should check this one out.
James
 
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

FrankW wrote:
Quote
Hi,

have tried Kylix, works but seems no development, any other alternative?
anybody try GNUStep? any feedback?
MSEide+MSEgui:
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
Screenshots:
freepascal.ru/article//mse/20060109011638/
Forum:
Compiles with FPC 2.0.2, Delphi7, Kylix3, native pascal widgetset, very
productive framework...
Martin
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Martin Schreiber < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Quote
MSEide+MSEgui:
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/

Screenshots:
freepascal.ru/article//mse/20060109011638/

Forum:
news://news.dxmachine.com/public.mseide-msegui.talk

Compiles with FPC 2.0.2, Delphi7, Kylix3, native pascal widgetset, very
productive framework...
A small question about licensing.
I see that this library is licensed under LGPL which in
my understanding do not allow static linking to a commercial
application. This meens that I need to create a number of DLLs
and dynamically link to them on run time for my commercial software.
If I am not misguided then this meens that I can't actually use this.
Thank you for any comments in advanced.
Regards
Yannis.
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Yannis wrote:
Quote
A small question about licensing.
I see that this library is licensed under LGPL which in
my understanding do not allow static linking to a commercial
application. This meens that I need to create a number of DLLs
and dynamically link to them on run time for my commercial software.

If I am not misguided then this meens that I can't actually use this.

License for MSEide is GPL, for MSEgui modified LGPL (like FPC RTL):
"
This is the file COPYING.MSE, it applies to the MSEgui Library.
The source code of the MSEgui Library is
distributed under the Library GNU General Public License
(see the file COPYING) with the following modification:
As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules,
and to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your
choice,
provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module, the terms
and conditions of the license of that module. An independent module is a
module
which is not derived from or based on this library. If you modify this
library, you may extend this exception to your version of the library, but
you are
not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception
statement from your version.
If you didn't receive a copy of the file COPYING, contact:
Free Software Foundation
675 Mass Ave
Cambridge, MA 02139
USA
"
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Hi,
could you pls tell me where i can get lazarus for sparc solaris ?
thank alot
"Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
FrankW wrote:
>have tried Kylix, works but seems no development, any other alternative?
>anybody try GNUStep? any feedback?

Yes, try Lazarus, a multiplatform, open source, Delphi close. Here are a
few links:

www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lazarus_0.9.7.PNG
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_%28software%29

Lazarus IDE is Delphi 7 like and runs on Linux, Windows (95 or later),
FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X.

With Lazarus you write only one software and then you can recompile it
with little modification for all this widgetsets:

Windows 32-bits native
Gtk1 (Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD)
Gtk2
Gnome
Carbon (Mac OS X)

And very soon also:

Qt
Windows CE (For PocketPC and SmartPhones)

In the long term future also:

PalmOS

Also, it is compatible with VCL, so you can recompile your existing VCL
software. After adapting the code you can get the same software to
compile with Lazarus and Delphi. Here is one software that can be
compiled with both:

magnifier.sourceforge.net/

More then 160.000 downloads, so it's really well tested.

--
Felipe
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Thank you for the input.
Regards
Yannis.
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Hi,
have tried Kylix, works but seems no development, any other alternative?
anybody try GNUStep? any feedback?
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

Hi Felipe,
I'd give Lazarus a try, looks promising. spent sometime in OS X cocoa
programming, I found the desktop that is closer to the look of OS X is
GNome, any good tool that you can recommend to program in GNOME? no need to
be Pascal/kylix compatible.
"Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
FrankW wrote:
>have tried Kylix, works but seems no development, any other alternative?
>anybody try GNUStep? any feedback?

Yes, try Lazarus, a multiplatform, open source, Delphi close. Here are a
few links:

www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lazarus_0.9.7.PNG
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_%28software%29

Lazarus IDE is Delphi 7 like and runs on Linux, Windows (95 or later),
FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X.

With Lazarus you write only one software and then you can recompile it
with little modification for all this widgetsets:

Windows 32-bits native
Gtk1 (Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD)
Gtk2
 

Re:Re: looking for a cross platform tool

FrankW wrote:
Quote
Hi,

have tried Kylix, works but seems no development, any other alternative?
anybody try GNUStep? any feedback?


Lazarus
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design
Home of PG Lightning Admin for Postgresql
www.amsoftwaredesign.com