Re: Future of Kylix?

2004-07-20 05:51:38 AM
kylix1
On 07/19/04, I R T said:
>Ha! I bet that very few people on this newsgroup even know what a
>slide rule is. Or have heard of K&E.

Do you mean K & R ?
Hopefully not. K&E (Keuffel and Esser) was once more widely known than
K&R.
--
Bill
--------

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

Larry Drews wrote:
Nope, K & E, or K+E (Keuffel & Esser).

Check here: www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html.
While reading the "How to choose a Slide Rule" was interesting,
thank goodness I was born in the calculator era. Some of my
favorite lines:
"Just think...forty years ago it was possible to graduate even from
an engineering college without ever learning to use a slide rule!"
Um, I think it is again... <g>
"Today, Engineering is a pretty complicated business. Everything
is speeded up. You have to step if you're going to inhale all that
comes your way..."
Some things never change, or the only constant is change itself.
"If slide rules get any better, we won't need brains any more."
If you choose not to excercise yours, do you really need a brain at
all?
-Brion

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

On 07/19/04, Brion L. Webster said:
While reading the "How to choose a Slide Rule" was interesting,
thank goodness I was born in the calculator era.
Some of us were born earlier, and did learn the use of a slide rule.
After college, when the pocket calculator came along (still for pretty
big pockets) I bought a TI SR-10 -- 7 functions! For about $180.00,
IIRC.
--
Bill
--------
"I cannot under-take to lay my finger on that article in the
Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the
object of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James
Madison

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

William Meyer wrote:
Some of us were born earlier, and did learn the use of a slide rule.
After college, when the pocket calculator came along (still for pretty
big pockets) I bought a TI SR-10 -- 7 functions! For about $180.00,
IIRC.
Well, I seem to have been born a little bit later. I do remember sliderules
and worked with them, but just before my finals in 1977 I bought one of
those TI gizmo's that you could actually program, a TI-58.
--
Ruurd

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Larry Drews) writes:
>Do you mean K & R ?

Nope, K & E, or K+E (Keuffel & Esser).

Check here: www.sphere.bc.ca/test/ke-sliderule.html.
Wow !
You must be from w-a-y back!

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

On 07/20/04, I R T said:
You must be from w-a-y back!
Me too! I owned a Dietzgen, and a K+E -- and used them <g>.
--
Bill
--------

"William Meyer" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:40fd45d9$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
On 07/20/04, I R T said:

>You must be from w-a-y back!

Me too! I owned a Dietzgen, and a K+E -- and used them <g>.

If we hang onto each other, maybe we won't need the crutches!<g>

Re:Re: Future of Kylix?

On 07/21/04, Larry Drews said:
If we hang onto each other, maybe we won't need the crutches!<g>
LOL
--
Bill
--------