Help System

2003-08-02 02:10:44 AM
kylix0
Hi,
I am new to Kylix and Linux, and I am totally lost with how to go about
providing help for my components.
For BCB I created WinHelp files for my components and used OpenHelp to
integrate them with the IDE.
With Kylix 3 I don't even know where to begin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Van Tumour
VAN TUMOUR INDUSTRIES
Free and commercial software for C++ Builder 5 and 6.
www.vantumour.com

Re:Help System

Hi,
Delphi 7 shows me always this message when I press the F1(new componnent).
However I can locate the info within the Index Help. How come?
"If you opened Help using a Help button or by pressing F1 and this default
topic appears instead of the topic you requested, it may be that the topic
you're looking for is either not available in your edition of Delphi, or the
topic is not correctly linked within the Help system. If the topic is not
correctly linked, you may still be able to locate the information you need
by using the Help index or full text search feature."

Re:Help System

Hi,
Does anyone know how to rebuild the JB 2005 help system. I canceled the
build during first time startup, and now it doesn't show a table of contents
and when I try to search in the index, it says: No Data Model.
Thanks

{smallsort}

Re:Help System

On 4/1/2005 at 8:43:36 AM, Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
Does anyone know how to rebuild the JB 2005 help system.
Please do not multipost.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:Help System

Please do not multipost.
Wow, is that the only thing you can come up with. I thought you had found me
a solution to the problem which caused me to reinstall JBuilder 2005 Ent and
everything that comes with it.
Regards,
Jenn

Re:Help System

On 4/3/2005 at 2:07:44 AM, Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
>Please do not multipost.
Wow, is that the only thing you can come up with. I thought you had
found me a solution to the problem which caused me to reinstall JBuilder
2005 Ent and everything that comes with it.
Multi-posting is clearly a violation of the newsgroup guidelines. Please
familiarize yourself with them. You can find them here:
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html
Posts in violation of the newsgroup guidelines are subject to cancellation
without notice, although we generally try to be lenient in that regard.
You should also know that you are not entitled to a solution, or even to a
reply. These are peer supported newsgroups, which means that you may post
a question, and if someone knows the answer and has the inclination to
answer, they might do so. And FWIW, multi-posting is likely to make some
people less willing to answer, not more.
And since Gillmer Derge answered your question in the .ide newsgroup, why
should I answer it again? That potential for duplicated effort is one of
the reasons that multi-posting is not allowed. It also clutters up the
newsgroups, which makes them less useful for everyone. So please observe
the guidelines - doing so makes the newsgroups a better place for everyone.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Help System

Multi-posting is clearly a violation of the newsgroup guidelines.
I know John, I know. And I don't have to familiarize myself with any
guidelines. Bus I posted this on b.p.j.n-t, whereas I should have posted it
on p.p.j.ide. Now, I can add new posts, but I definitely cannot delete the
ones already posted.
So, yes it was wrong, but I couldn't do a whole lot about it. I hope you won
't tar and feather me for this.
Bye,
Jenn

Re:Help System

On 4/3/2005 at 7:56:19 AM, Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
Now, I can add new posts, but I definitely cannot delete the ones
already posted.
Actually, you can. Many newsreaders have a "cancel post" option and it
does work. With Outlook Express, you can select the message and then from
the "Message" menu, select "Cancel Message". I think the requirements are
that you need to do it from the same IP address and using the same e-mail
address.
So, yes it was wrong, but I couldn't do a whole lot about it. I hope you
won 't tar and feather me for this.
Oh, no! We only do that after the third time someone multi-posts. :o)
--

John McGrath [TeamB] wrote:
And since Gillmer Derge answered your question in the .ide newsgroup, why
should I answer it again?
I only sort of answered it. I responded to the question, but since my
suggestions didn't actually work, I'd hesitate to call them "answers." :-)
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

Re:Help System

On 4/3/2005 at 11:46:02 AM, Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB] wrote:
I only sort of answered it.
Well, I had nothing to add to what you had said.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Help System

Well, I had nothing to add to what you had said.

Well, at least Gillmer was kind enough to answer, although -I am sorry to
say- it did not do me any good. You on the other hand John, are only loud
mouthing me on the rules and regulations stuff I have always been aware of,
but were just this once poorly implemented by me.
If only you could have come up with one useful technical remark. it would
have done me so much good.

Re:Help System

On 4/3/2005 at 4:38:36 PM, Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
You on the other hand John, are only loud mouthing me on the rules and
regulations stuff I have always been aware of, but were just this once
poorly implemented by me.

If only you could have come up with one useful technical remark. it would
have done me so much good.
I am really not sure what to make of your reaction.
You multi-posted a message against the newsgroup guidelines. Since it is
my job to moderate the newsgroups, I replied with a simple, polite
request: "Please do not multipost."
Now, I would have thought that a reasonable response to this would have
been something like "Sorry, it was not intentional". But your reply did
not indicate that you had not done so intentionally or acknowledge in any
way that that multiposting was inappropriate. Instead, you complained
that I had not provided you with a solution to your problem.
Since your reaction seemed to suggest that you thought my request was not
reasonable, I pointed out that it is the newsgroup guidelines that
prohibit multiposting and provided a link to them. Since you also seemed
to think that I should have provided you with a solution to your problem,
I pointed out that was not true. I also indicated that I did not have
anything to add to what Gillmer had already said.
Given the above, I have a few questions for you: Do you think it was
wrong for me to ask you not to multipost when you had just done so? If
so, do you think that I should not ask anyone to follow the newsgroup
guidelines, or just you? Do you think that there was something wrong with
the way that I phrased the request "Please do not multipost"?
Given your sarcastic reply to this simple request, with no indication that
you felt you should comply with it, do you think it was wrong for me to
point you to the newsgroup guidelines?
On two occasions, you have complained that I did not provide any help for
your problem. Do you think that I owe you an answer? And given that Gill
had already replied to your message, and that I had nothing to add to
that, what would you have had me say?
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]
Before sending me e-mail, please read:

Re:Help System

what would you have had me say?

First let me emphasize the following. Everyone complies with the newsgroup
guidelines. Not because everyone agrees with it, but simply because of the
comprehension that if you do not comply, you get chucked out, your messages
are rendered invalid and/or you become a persona non grata.
In all of your statements that I should have basically adhered to the
guidelines and admitted that I had not, you are right.
But please consider this. When a person posts a message on a newsgroup. The
reason for this usually is that this person has a problem with -in our case-
one of the Borland products or related contextual environments. Often there
is a certain amount of tension regarding this problem and the poster
frequently checks the thread with anxiety in order to find out if there were
any replies. If then you find that the first and foremost reply you get is
"do not multipost", your first reaction may not be "hmmm. he is right".
Instead you will regard this a major deception. I am sorry to enlighten you
on this. It is called being human.
I also understand that I do not have the explicit right to an answer. If
nobody has a clue, or if no-one simply wants to reply, I can't sue anyone
for this. But if you do reply, you must realize that your answer should
raise some expectations to the earlier poster. And although you feel that in
your current role as a Team-B member you have to, you must have been aware
of responses the likes of which I confronted you with. Now, not everyone is
the same and not everyone replies equally, but you must have been attentive.
I don't want to play divide and conquer here, but Gillmer responded to my
needs as apposed to correcting my alleged misbehavior. And Gillmer is a
Team-B member too, so he could have.
Newsgroups are being populated by people and quite often people with a
problem. And like it or not, people are human. If you are making such an
issue of someone responding to your feedback, then maybe you should
reconsider your Team-B membership.
Kind regards,
Jenn

Re:Help System

Crossposting is NOT good etiquette, and people will NOT consider you a
nice person because of it.
I don't need to be considered a nice person, I just want my problem solved.
>In all of your statements that I should have basically adhered to the
>guidelines and admitted that I had not, you are right.

And instead you claimed that you have no reason or intent to even consider
looking at those guidelines...
Hello... is English not your first language?
>"do not multipost", your first reaction may not be "hmmm. he is right".
>Instead you will regard this a major deception. I am sorry to enlighten
you
>on this. It is called being human.

No, it's called being a {*word*97} theorist.
Come on, get a grip!

Re:Help System

"Jennifer Ashley Kuiper" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
what would you have had me say?

First let me emphasize the following. Everyone complies with the newsgroup
guidelines. Not because everyone agrees with it, but simply because of the
comprehension that if you do not comply, you get chucked out, your messages
are rendered invalid and/or you become a persona non grata.

So? The only people becoming persona non grata are people who consistently behave like you are doing here.
In fact you've probably earned yourself a spot in many peoples' killfiles because of this one thread of rants...
Crossposting is NOT good etiquette, and people will NOT consider you a nice person because of it.
In all of your statements that I should have basically adhered to the
guidelines and admitted that I had not, you are right.

And instead you claimed that you have no reason or intent to even consider looking at those guidelines...
environments. Often there
is a certain amount of tension regarding this problem and the poster
frequently checks the thread with anxiety in order to find out if there were
any replies. If then you find that the first and foremost reply you get is
And why would posting that question in many places make that any less {*word*156} you?
"do not multipost", your first reaction may not be "hmmm. he is right".
Instead you will regard this a major deception. I am sorry to enlighten you
on this. It is called being human.

No, it's called being a {*word*97} theorist.
I also understand that I do not have the explicit right to an answer. If
nobody has a clue, or if no-one simply wants to reply, I can't sue anyone
And instead you'll start screaming and ranting that noone has yet given you the reply you were looking for.
We've all seen that too many times.