Re: To buy or not to buy...

2003-11-08 01:56:32 AM
kylix1
ken moffat wrote:
I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a dead
end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, buy it, before they yank it from the
market <g>The Professional version of Kylix has an exceptional
value. For a data base work you will need to supplement it with third
party dbExpress drivers and components so it is an extra cost, but
not much.
What would be the second choice.

Kylix3 and the C++ Qt3 Development Framework.
juliusz

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a dead
end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?
What would be the second choice.

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a dead
end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?

What would be the second choice.
buy D7 you will get K3 for free
-i

{smallsort}

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

juliusz wrote:
Kylix3 and the C++ Qt3 Development Framework.

juliusz

Sounds a bit pricey. Isn't the QT3 stuff more than Kylix3 upgade?

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

Not To Buy.
There is no support/patch anymore.
Kylix 3 would be the last version.
"ken moffat" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a dead
end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?

What would be the second choice.

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

What do you mean "anymore"?
There was never an official bug fix patch for
any of the Kylix versions.
Borland did not say they will not release a
new Kylix version. What they said is that
most certainly there will be no update or
new version of Kylix until 2005.
If somebody is willing to risk that there
might not be any update or new release at
all and he/she is able to use Kylix in its
current state then why not buy?
The current bugs might not effect everyone.
Unfortunately, some known bugs effect me so
I have serious problems with Kylix...

news:3fac384e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:28:11 -0800, ken moffat wrote:
I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a dead
end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?

What would be the second choice.
It is a great IDE and with the unofficial patches it works very well (for
me) and you soon learn not to back into the root of your machine when
opening stuff and a few other little gotches.
But, the cost and dead endingness is not an object with me. The problem
is not wanting to be stuck with years of experience and tons of libraries
and code that I can't use anymore eventually.
Right now I am learning/using Perl/TK which works very well and has the
advantages of working on both Linux and Windows. The only thing I miss is
the interactive form building which is vastly faster on Delphi/Kylix than
textual component creation and placement.
I am not giving up on Kylix, just waiting to see what might happen.
Ken

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

ken moffat < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<3fac384e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
I'm actually considering purchasing K3.
It worth its price even if you only plan to use it as
a development tool for webbroker applications (cgi/dso for apache).
It gives you a strong alternative to perl/python/ecc.. and let you put
your delphi /db skill into web apps for linux/apache easily.
Robert

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

Brion L. Webster wrote:

I'd encourage people to purchase Kylix, especially if trickling revenue
determines a future update, but Software Assurance for Kylix seems
silly, given their stated "no updates in 2004". Delphi 7, with Kylix
thrown in, seems like the better deal.

In this circumstances, for a Linux programer buying Delphi 7 with
Kylix is a mistake. However, buying Kylix as a standalone product
would be the right thing to do.

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

ken moffat wrote:
juliusz wrote:
>Kylix3 and the C++ Qt3 Development Framework.

Sounds a bit pricey. Isn't the QT3 stuff more than Kylix3 upgade?

Yes, it is indeed. For the Qt/X11 Linux/Unix version one would have
to pay as much as for the Kylix 1 Server people did. But the 1500
price tag includes a technical *support*, early access to all betas
and it comes with source code and free updates.
The initial price can be and it is a factor in choosing a development
tool for many of us, but from a practical point of view the inictial
price is not so important, since the real cost one will need to absorb
is the cost of learning the new tool and the C++ environment.
Anyway, choosing a new development tool is a very serious decision to
be made, and since Borland is sending us a mix signals in regard of
Kylix future, I think it would be wise to investigate (just in case)
any other matured C++ environments for Linux, while we are waiting for
the Kylix upgrade or the service pack. The Qt3 Development Framework
happens to be one of them...
tools.devchannel.org/devtoolschannel/03/11/06/191214.shtml

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

ken moffat wrote:
I'm actually considering purchasing K3. I have been using k3OE for a
while with success, with the unofficial patches. I know it may be a
dead end, but it's certainly the best ide for linux, yes?

What would be the second choice.
Fow what it's worth, I'm a Pascal guy through and through now. I
explicitly purchased Delphi 7 at BorCon with Software Assurance because
I wanted the Kylix license with it. The S/A gets me Delphi 8 for .NET
when it's released. I also shared my reason for shelling out more $$$
to Borland folks - Delphi 8 was cheaper, even the version bundled with
Delphi 7, but it does not include a Kylix license.
My thinking, unfortunately, is that Borland is waiting to see how well
Mono does. If Delphi for .NET can compile Mono happy .NET
applications, why would they need to brush up Kylix? Pascal people can
write for Linux desktops (albeit using a Windows desktop to write the
app).
I'd encourage people to purchase Kylix, especially if trickling revenue
determines a future update, but Software Assurance for Kylix seems
silly, given their stated "no updates in 2004". Delphi 7, with Kylix
thrown in, seems like the better deal.
-Brion

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

For me it's come down to a decision on whether to stick with OP, or move to
C++. I already have K3 (i.e. I've "bought product" to use the Borland
vernacular). I considered moving to C++ but so far have decided life's too
short. The Kylix uncertainty has been a pain since I've been doing the
planning work for a cross-platform product for a while now.
In short, I've decided to push ahead with Kylix since I can see other
options allowing me to port/re-use my OP code, and avoid C++. For the server
side - i.e. Linux daemons - I think (hope!) there's mileage in Kylix for a
couple years yet, since QT can be avoided. On the client side it looks like
Andreas' CLX fixes will do the trick (mine is an industrial app so looks
aren't so crucial, but would be nice). Further down the line (or possible
even now) there's the option of using D6/D7 + Wine for the client. Lazarus +
some unspecified OP widget framework is another longer term possibility. K3
Pro is pretty inexpensive anyway, so it's worth buying IMO. I'm not
convinced that I should count on MONO - I hear of compatibility problems and
possible patent/licencing issues, but this might just be FUD.
Cheers
Bob

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

"Bob Devine" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
... I hear of compatibility problems and
possible patent/licencing issues, but this might just be FUD.
Been listening to a Java Junkie (TM)?
Object code compatibility has already been achieved. The level of API
compatibility with Windows is an open question since Mono is still a
work in progress. 100% compatibility is not required in order for Mono to
be a success and perhaps not even desired if it means that the resulting
apps will look and run like Java.
Regarding patent/licensing issues, has there ever been a case where MS has
gone after a smaller competitor in court on the basis of patents?

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

juliusz wrote:
In this circumstances, for a Linux programer buying Delphi 7 with Kylix
is a mistake. However, buying Kylix as a standalone product would be the
right thing to do.
SuSE had a special offer for Kylix 3 Professional this summer (less than 20 ),
unfortunately it expired August, 15, IIRC.
Robert

Re:Re: To buy or not to buy...

www.freepascal.org/
sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus-ccr/