2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

2003-12-03 05:47:55 AM
kylix1
Seems like Linux has come so far in such a short period of time. With the
release of Fedora, I can even play cool games like Battlefield 1942 running
Linux. I'm willing to bet 2004 is going to go down in history as the Year
of Linux. Call this my stone cold lead pipe lock. Borland had the right
idea with Kylix but they got in too early. Kylix was ahead of its time.
With respect to the Linux market, the best is yet to come. Why waste time
with .Net? Linux is the platform of the future. Is anyone willing to step
out on a limb with me and make this stone cold lead pipe lock?

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Seems like Linux has come so far in such a short period of time. With the
release of Fedora, I can even play cool games like Battlefield 1942
running
Linux. I'm willing to bet 2004 is going to go down in history as the Year
of Linux. Call this my stone cold lead pipe lock. Borland had the right
idea with Kylix but they got in too early. Kylix was ahead of its time.
With respect to the Linux market, the best is yet to come. Why waste time
with .Net? Linux is the platform of the future. Is anyone willing to
step out on a limb with me and make this stone cold lead pipe lock?
I believe Linux will increase Desktop use in 2004, but the first migration
from Windows to Linux will come in the business communities. What
development tools they will use, will be determined by their current
overall thrust. Personally, I would see Java ruling here, due to the fact
that recent reports show 70-75% of all Enterprises are using Java now.
Java frees, NET binds.
BTW, I have nothing against Kylix nor Delphi, but since Borland is going NET
with Delphi and Kylix is more or less DOA, doesn't make sense to commit to
Kylix nor Delphi, if you want Linux in your future. BuilderX is another
Borland option (in addition to Java) and even more so once the wxWindows
RAD portion is finished.

"Jeff Undercash" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Seems like Linux has come so far in such a short period of time. With the
release of Fedora, I can even play cool games like Battlefield 1942 running
Linux. I'm willing to bet 2004 is going to go down in history as the Year
of Linux. Call this my stone cold lead pipe lock. Borland had the right
idea with Kylix but they got in too early. Kylix was ahead of its time.
With respect to the Linux market, the best is yet to come. Why waste time
with .Net? Linux is the platform of the future. Is anyone willing to step
out on a limb with me and make this stone cold lead pipe lock?

Yes Linux is going to do very well in 2004. For my part is all of this
I hope BuilderX comes through nicely. I don't want to invest to
much into Kylix 3 ( I own it along with Delphi 7 ). If the wxWindows
GUI builder does not do to well then I may use Kylix for the GUI to
"talk" to my C++ .so.
Of course based on what I have just written I don't seem to be following
the "Web browser is the GUI" do I?
-Jason

{smallsort}

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

I am downloading JBuilderX right now. I don't see any support or updates or
even a future for kylix which sucks. I am also a person who wants to get
away from windows as much as possible. I just can't stay in linux if I
don't have a comfortable programming environment as I do with windows. That
is the ONLY reason why I don't use linux day in/out. I hate how microsoft
controls evrything and the way they do things. I have heard that BuilderX
still has the same GUI builder as JBuilder9 had. That kind of bums me out.
Why havn't they built a drag n drop visual UI yet? I am not familiar with
the wxWindows GUI builder you guys are talking about. Is it the wxGlad
sourceforge project? Any info would be great.
thx!

" Lee Connell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
I am downloading JBuilderX right now. I don't see any support or updates or
even a future for kylix which sucks. I am also a person who wants to get
away from windows as much as possible. I just can't stay in linux if I
don't have a comfortable programming environment as I do with windows. That
is the ONLY reason why I don't use linux day in/out. I hate how microsoft
controls evrything and the way they do things. I have heard that BuilderX
still has the same GUI builder as JBuilder9 had. That kind of bums me out.
Why havn't they built a drag n drop visual UI yet? I am not familiar with
the wxWindows GUI builder you guys are talking about. Is it the wxGlad
sourceforge project? Any info would be great.
The wxWindows GUI builder will be the drag and drop we all want ( like the form
buttons, combo boxes, etc... in Delphi). It is in the preview beta stage right now.
The BuilderX IDE itself is done with JJ (junky java !!) to give it the most available
platforms.

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Where can I find more information on the wxWindows GUI Builder? They are
just going to plug it into the existing X release?

" Lee Connell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:3fcd2ac2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Where can I find more information on the wxWindows GUI Builder? They are
just going to plug it into the existing X release?
www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilderx.html
Download the free editions for Borland BuilderX and the wxWindows preview. Only working
on windows for the moment.

[...]

I think you will like JBuilderX. However, I would read the Java for Delphi
Programmers site, to familiarize you with the differences and simularities
between Delphi and Java. If you fail to understand layout managers, you are
going to be discouraged.
The Database components in JBX work similar to their Delphi counterparts.
The only thing I dispise about them, is the ParamterRow {*word*99}. Why they diod
not mak these components like Delphi/BCB for paramaters or standard JDBC is
beyond me. I simply do not use the ParamterRow stuff in JB. Too much of a
royal PITA.
Actually Database support is much better in Java thn in delphi, BCB, or
Kylix. No BDE and the drivers actually work (as opposed to DBExpress).
With the newer JDK 1.4.2, I think you will see that modern Java is not that
much slower than native (unless you have antiquated hardware). Plus the
options you have at your disposal in the Java world are huge compared to
either Delphi, BCB, or Kylix. Not only a full compliment of GUI
technologies, but also Network, Web, and Remote distributed technologies.
It will require some time to learn them all however.

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Thanks for all of your input, greatly appreciated!
Any books you would recommend to pick up the basics of java and jbuilder:?
or even documentation on the net?
"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Lee Connell wrote:

>I am downloading JBuilderX right now. I don't see any support or
updates
>or
>even a future for kylix which sucks. I am also a person who wants to
get
>away from windows as much as possible. I just can't stay in linux if I
>don't have a comfortable programming environment as I do with windows.
>That
>is the ONLY reason why I don't use linux day in/out. I hate how
microsoft
>controls evrything and the way they do things. I have heard that
BuilderX
>still has the same GUI builder as JBuilder9 had. That kind of bums me
>out. Why havn't they built a drag n drop visual UI yet? I am not
familiar
>with
>the wxWindows GUI builder you guys are talking about. Is it the wxGlad
>sourceforge project? Any info would be great.
>
>thx!

I think you will like JBuilderX. However, I would read the Java for Delphi
Programmers site, to familiarize you with the differences and simularities
between Delphi and Java. If you fail to understand layout managers, you
are
going to be discouraged.

The Database components in JBX work similar to their Delphi counterparts.
The only thing I dispise about them, is the ParamterRow {*word*99}. Why they
diod
not mak these components like Delphi/BCB for paramaters or standard JDBC
is
beyond me. I simply do not use the ParamterRow stuff in JB. Too much of a
royal PITA.

Actually Database support is much better in Java thn in delphi, BCB, or
Kylix. No BDE and the drivers actually work (as opposed to DBExpress).

With the newer JDK 1.4.2, I think you will see that modern Java is not
that
much slower than native (unless you have antiquated hardware). Plus the
options you have at your disposal in the Java world are huge compared to
either Delphi, BCB, or Kylix. Not only a full compliment of GUI
technologies, but also Network, Web, and Remote distributed technologies.
It will require some time to learn them all however.

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Jason I've download JBuilderX, it is already using the wxWindows GUI
Builder?
Where do I get more information on the actual development and news about the
progress of it?

On 12/03/03 06:47 +0900, Jeff Undercash wrote:
Seems like Linux has come so far in such a short period of time. With the
A lot of folks say this, but, honestly, Linux is much the same
for me using Slackware 9.1 as it was using Slackware 1.3. A few
new apps here, a new window manager there -- it all looks very
incremental from my viewpoint.
release of Fedora, I can even play cool games like Battlefield 1942 running
Linux. I'm willing to bet 2004 is going to go down in history as the Year
of Linux. Call this my stone cold lead pipe lock. Borland had the right
I'm still waiting for the widely touted Year of the LAN, which
never happened -- no matter that the LAN is now ubiquitous. ;^)
with .Net? Linux is the platform of the future. Is anyone willing to step
out on a limb with me and make this stone cold lead pipe lock?
Nope, I'm sure not. Linux is just another operating system with
pros and cons like any other. One of the cons is significant: few
in the current Linux community really care about ease of use and
that absolutely buries any hope of Linux making it into the
mainstream. Many in the community don't /want/ Linux to enter the
mainstream. (Note that I'm not equating this with "not ready for
the (corporate) desktop," which I believe is a different
situation entirely.)
Linux can be the answer for a lot of people. It's been my
personal choice for most things for many years now. It wouldn't
be the first choice for most folks I know and I couldn't in good
conscience recommend it as such. As a primary example,
multilanguage support is barely in its infancy in XFree and is,
for the most part, unusable. Ugly fonts and the herculean task of
making Ghostview print Japanese are examples of major obstacles
that would prove extremely off-putting to users. If an old-timer
such as myself can struggle so much with this, I hate to think of
how positively maddening it would be for a new user.
Frankly, when I need to print something in Japanese, I just flip
to one of the Windows boxes on my network and print the content
from there.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

Thanks for all of your input, greatly appreciated!

Any books you would recommend to pick up the basics of java and jbuilder:?

here first: www.computer-logic.net/javadelphi/
Might want to get this free book Thinking in Java Bruece Eckel
www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/
The IBM site has some good interactive tutorials
www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
My favorite text book for Java Newbies is "Java 2 How to Program" by Deitel
and Deitel. We have used this one for teaching in Fortune 500 IT
departments and Universities. A little steep in price, but very, very good.

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

"Jeff Undercash" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm willing to bet 2004 is going to go down in history as the Year
of Linux. Call this my stone cold lead pipe lock.
Careful with that lead pipe Eugene.

" Lee Connell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:3fcd6a32$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Jason I've download JBuilderX, it is already using the wxWindows GUI
Builder?

Where do I get more information on the actual development and news about the
progress of it?

News is slow, but I suppose here.
Borland.public.cbuilderx.preview.wx

Re:2004 - Year of Linux Desktop

I am downloading JBuilderX right now. I don't see any support or updates or
I really wanted to like java but everytime I tried to do anything with
it, i got annoyed.
It's overengineered. Swing is incredibly flexible and is also
incredibly annoying to code. The hoops you have to jump through to
get anything done.
The memory usage is really ridiculous and the fact that you cant share
a VM makes it even worse. So im going to have each app on my desktop
eating up 50MB. No thanks.
Swing is a dog. The GUI is unresponsive and clearly doesnt use native
controls. I much prefer SWT but its in the standard SDK because Sun
has to be a hard ass.
The #1 reason I dont like java.... Sun. Nuff said.