keep Kylix and CLX alive

2005-10-20 10:08:01 PM
kylix0
I develop cross platform software for Linux and MS Windows using the CLX
libraries provided with Kylix 3 and Delphi 7.
It seems to me that Kylix is a remarkable product in that it allows
applications to be developed very quickly for Linux.
This is especially important in that Delphi can be used for cross platform
applications.
I think it is very bad news indeed that Kylix (and thus Delphi CLX) has
passed into being of 'Classic' status.
(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be interested
to know why ?)
Anyway back onto my main point...
Would it be possible for Borland to release the CLX to Qt interface
(wrapper) source code so that a Borland inspired community can continue to
support and fix bugs ?
I have a serious bug issue at the moment and it would be nice to get it
fixed :-)
Thanks
Sylvio

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Hi Sylvio,
Many of us agree with what you are saying.
If you have not heard about the FreeCLX community project here is the link.
freeclx.sourceforge.net/index.php
However, it must be out of date since it still lists Chadn Z Hower as
the chair. He can no longer support Kylix, because he works for MS now..
see discussions in the delphi non-tech group. Does Andreas now have the
chair?
Your best hope could be to have the bug fixed and included in a common
source library is in the link below..if possible
andy.jgknet.de/oss/kylix/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Siegs

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote:
I develop cross platform software for Linux and MS Windows using the CLX
libraries provided with Kylix 3 and Delphi 7.

It seems to me that Kylix is a remarkable product in that it allows
applications to be developed very quickly for Linux.
yes
This is especially important in that Delphi can be used for cross platform
applications.

I think it is very bad news indeed that Kylix (and thus Delphi CLX) has
passed into being of 'Classic' status.
yep
(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be interested
to know why ?)
do not count on it
Anyway back onto my main point...

Would it be possible for Borland to release the CLX to Qt interface
(wrapper) source code so that a Borland inspired community can continue to
support and fix bugs ?
As I also invested heavily in a huge CLX code
base, I agree aswell. If no update of Kylix will come in the
near future, the license of FreeClx should be freed.
Everyone please react aswell.
And Andreas has lots of updates available. So the
community has something to offer.
BTW, I am working on a Qt4 binding,
any community aid is welcome :-) (dry-run the thing)
users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qt4.html
I think my Qt4.pas contains enough of libQtCore.so.4 and
libQtGui.so.4 to start porting CLX to Qt4. So it is really
time that FreeCLX is freed.
Is anyone of Borland still out there. As a long time Borland
customer, I would really appreciate any feedback of Borland.
It is really time.
kind regards,
Den Jean

{smallsort}

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote in message

(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be interested
to know why ?)
$$$

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am contemplating
not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.
I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix going.
- Lou
.
[...]

I have not heard this.... I thought Chad Z Hower was firmly part of A to Z
the makers of Intraweb!
- Lou

On 2005-10-21, Lou Feliz < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I have not heard this.... I thought Chad Z Hower was firmly part of A to Z
the makers of Intraweb!
No, he started a week of two ago for Microsoft in IIRC Instanbul. It was on
his blog btw (can't remember what the URL was tho)

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Lou Feliz wrote:
I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am contemplating
not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives.
You should check out Lazarus, the latest builds are pretty decent, and
the more people the use it the better.

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Go IBM's site (www.ibm.com) and search "kylix" keyword.
You will find at least 100 links.
This means, IBM drove Borland to grow Kylix at the past.
Bob Swart may know why IBM gave up to drive Borland/Kylix.
But, I think that we will never know why Kylix dead...
Kylix must live.
There is no cross platorm development (IDE+RAD+Compiler) alternative of
Kylix.
"Lou Feliz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am contemplating
not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.

I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
going.

- Lou

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

I understand that money needs to change hands. After all I need money to
live too !
I have seen quite a few products where the vendor charges an annual fee so
as to be eiligible for updates.
Maybe Borland should consider this idea ?
I am sure my company would pay a reasonable fee for updates to the product.
I would like to see.
1) Fixes to the IDE so that it will run on later Linux distros.
2) Fixes to the CLX layer (I know that is being done in part by Andreas
Hausladen)
3) Qt bindings in MS Windows that can use later Qt libraries.
4) Re-instate CLX into Delphi so that we still have the cross platform
facility
Perhaps Borland could place an invitation for purchasers of Kylix and (D7
CLX users) on their website to see if they can get enough interested
customers to sign up ?
Sylvio
"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be
interested
>to know why ?)

$$$

"Uffe Kousgaard" <look_at_www.routeware.dk>wrote in message
"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be
interested
>to know why ?)

$$$

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Kylix must live.
There is no cross platorm development (IDE+RAD+Compiler) alternative of
Kylix.
Well I thought that but I eventually got Lazarus installed on Mandrake 9.0
and voila it looks almost identical to kylix.
However being realistic this is not a complete alternative for me since
TClientDataSets and DB connectivity are essential. Still I will still
investigate this because it looks so good.
Sylvio

news:43592cae$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
>Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
>Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am
contemplating
>not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
>primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.
>
>I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
>company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
>going.
>
>- Lou

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Hi Siegs
>If you have not heard about the FreeCLX community project here is the
link.
Unfortunately on this occasion the (latest) bug that I have got appears to
emanate from the Qt libraries themselves.
I downloaded FreeCLX and had a compare to the pas files that I have got with
D7 Enterprise. (My company has spent quite a lot of money on Delphi and
Kylix over the years - We as though we have been dumped ! ).
The majority of the files seem to be very similar to my D7 ones apart from
QStdCtrls.pas.
I notice that even my much loved TClientDataSet is there!
Usually a car-maker has to sell and support models of car he has sold for 10
years after selling it. I know that the software business is different but
Borland have been very quick (IMHO) to dump it's customers without any
alternative path.
If Borland will not try and produce a means of supporting and fixing things
(like on an annual agreement) then I think it should consider releasing code
to somebody (community) who will.
(See my other post - I would still like an Linux IDE that would work on a
wider range of distros???)
Cheers
Sylvio
[...]

Have you tried Lazarus ?
Sylvio
"Hür Akdülger" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Go IBM's site (www.ibm.com) and search "kylix" keyword.
You will find at least 100 links.
This means, IBM drove Borland to grow Kylix at the past.
Bob Swart may know why IBM gave up to drive Borland/Kylix.

But, I think that we will never know why Kylix dead...

Kylix must live.
There is no cross platorm development (IDE+RAD+Compiler) alternative of
Kylix.

"Lou Feliz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:43592cae$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
>Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
>Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am
contemplating
>not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
>primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.
>
>I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
>company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
>going.
>
>- Lou

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Lou
I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
going.
I have used Borland products (including C++ Builder) for many years now.
Frankly I have used Visual C++ and avoided MFC. I like Borland in spite of
it being slow to fix bugs and maybe trying too hard with complex controls.
I really would like Borland to pick up the pieces and keep up good
competition against Microsoft. Personal feelings about Microsoft aside I
have preferred Borland products for end user GUI applications.
Sylvio
"Lou Feliz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I totally agree. I was recently contact by Borland to renew my Software
Assuranc for Delphi and let the kind person know that I really thought
Borland was blowing a huge oppty by letting Kylix die. I am contemplating
not renewing SA and start looking at Delphi alternatives. Heck I still
primarily use D7 and have not yet installed D2005.

I stongly feel that kylix 3 should be supported. Perhaps benevolant
company like Sun or Novell or IBM can convince Borland to keepy Kylix
going.

- Lou

.

"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I develop cross platform software for Linux and MS Windows using the CLX
>libraries provided with Kylix 3 and Delphi 7.
>
>It seems to me that Kylix is a remarkable product in that it allows
>applications to be developed very quickly for Linux.
>
>This is especially important in that Delphi can be used for cross
platform
>applications.
>
>I think it is very bad news indeed that Kylix (and thus Delphi CLX) has
>passed into being of 'Classic' status.
>
>(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be
interested
>to know why ?)
>
>Anyway back onto my main point...
>
>Would it be possible for Borland to release the CLX to Qt interface
>(wrapper) source code so that a Borland inspired community can continue
>support and fix bugs ?
>
>I have a serious bug issue at the moment and it would be nice to get it
>fixed :-)
>
>Thanks
>
>Sylvio

Re:keep Kylix and CLX alive

Hello Den Jean
BTW, I am working on a Qt4 binding,
any community aid is welcome :-) (dry-run the thing)
Do you have a binding for MS Windows please ?
I would like to bind to a more recent version of Qt libraries on MS Windows.
Sylvio
"Den Jean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"sylvio" <non-specified>wrote:

>I develop cross platform software for Linux and MS Windows using the CLX
>libraries provided with Kylix 3 and Delphi 7.
>
>It seems to me that Kylix is a remarkable product in that it allows
>applications to be developed very quickly for Linux.

yes

>This is especially important in that Delphi can be used for cross
platform
>applications.
>
>I think it is very bad news indeed that Kylix (and thus Delphi CLX) has
>passed into being of 'Classic' status.

yep

>(Clearly, Borland have their reasons for doing this. I would be
interested
>to know why ?)

do not count on it