Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

2003-08-31 12:47:05 AM
kylix2
"Dan Palley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I believe one difference is that RH Enterprise
includes support, whereas MS 2003 Server does not.
Enterprise level customers generally don't buy MS products off the shelf and
they always get support.

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote in message
Otherwise, RedHat has simply "sold
out" as there is very little difference, price-wise, between MS and it.
As has been noted repeatedly for years, even with the horrific MS
"monopoly", actual software costs are relatively insignificant in the
overall scheme of corporate IT. RedHat is just now catching on.

news:3f4fbfa7$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Would I be able to get away with buying *one* RedHat "subscription" and
>deploy on as many machines as I like? Otherwise, RedHat has simply "sold
>out" as there is very little difference, price-wise, between MS and it.

Read the first line of the link that you posted:

"Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available on
a per-system, annual subscription basis. "

So you would need to buy one copy for each server and renew it each year (to
keep it up-to-date). I believe one difference is that RH Enterprise
includes support, whereas MS 2003 Server does not.

Dan

How about the CALs (Client Access License) you have to buy for an ms
server (as far as i know the ms servers usually come with only 5 CALs)?

{smallsort}

"RADU" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
How about the CALs (Client Access License) you have to buy for an ms
server (as far as i know the ms servers usually come with only 5 CALs)?

THe enterprise licenses come with 25... But your point stands. Also there
is a WebServer version of Windows 2003 Enterprise I believe.

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote in message

"RADU" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>How about the CALs (Client Access License) you have to buy for an ms
>server (as far as i know the ms servers usually come with only 5 CALs)?

THe enterprise licenses come with 25... But your point stands. Also there
is a WebServer version of Windows 2003 Enterprise I believe.
It would appear that MS is finally feeling some heat from Linux. I just
read that the new version of Small Business Server (a bundle of Windows 2003
Server, Exchange Server, and a few other products), including 5 CAL's, will
start around $500.
dan

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

"Dan Palley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available
on
a per-system, annual subscription basis. "

So you would need to buy one copy for each server and renew it each year
keep it up-to-date). I believe one difference is that RH Enterprise
includes support, whereas MS 2003 Server does not.
Can they do that under GPL?
It seems to me that they might only support one system,
but that due to the unique licensing of Linux they would not
be able to restrict you in this way.
I{*word*7}though.
Mike

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>"RADU" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>

>>How about the CALs (Client Access License) you have to buy for an ms
>>server (as far as i know the ms servers usually come with only 5 CALs)?
>>

>THe enterprise licenses come with 25... But your point stands. Also there
>is a WebServer version of Windows 2003 Enterprise I believe.

It would appear that MS is finally feeling some heat from Linux. I just
read that the new version of Small Business Server (a bundle of Windows 2003
Server, Exchange Server, and a few other products), including 5 CAL's, will
start around $500.

dan

Do you have to buy also 5 Outlook licenses (5x90 USD+VAT~500 USD) to get
connected to the Exchange Server?If the answer is yes, than this is
exactly the price for IBM's Small Business Suite...
RADU

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

"RADU" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Do you have to buy also 5 Outlook licenses ...
No.

Mike Mormando wrote:
"Dan Palley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>"Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available

on

>a per-system, annual subscription basis. "
>
>So you would need to buy one copy for each server and renew it each year

>keep it up-to-date). I believe one difference is that RH Enterprise
>includes support, whereas MS 2003 Server does not.

Can they do that under GPL?
It seems to me that they might only support one system,
but that due to the unique licensing of Linux they would not
be able to restrict you in this way.
GPL is only about redistribution of software and how that should be
done. How support is handled is up to yourself.
HTH,
Micha.

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

>Enterprise level customers generally don't buy MS products off the
>shelf and they always get support.
TC>If you can call it support.....
Usually enterprise level customers have their own technical staff with
enough qualification.

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

If you can call it support.....
Enterprise level customers generally don't buy MS products off the shelf
and
they always get support.

Re:Re: Linux Distro Licensing/Subscriptions/Maintenance releases....

"Tony Caduto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
If you can call it support.....
Most *enterprise* level customers have direct contacts inside MS.