Re: How increase Kylix sales

2003-10-04 02:13:13 PM
kylix0
JQP wrote:
most
companies have neither the skills, the resources, nor the desire to "develop
an application".
based on the above statement, I would say that you have no grasp at all on
reality.
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

"Phoenix" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
based on the above statement, I would say that you have no grasp at all on
reality.
In the US, over 90% of businesses have fewer than 100 employees. These
companies often do not have any developers on staff. Any custom work is
outsourced and is usually fairly narrow in scope. In terms of the number of
applications being used, most are bought rather than built.
That's my reality. What's yours?

JQP wrote:
In the US, over 90% of businesses have fewer than 100 employees. These
companies often do not have any developers on staff. Any custom work is
outsourced and is usually fairly narrow in scope. In terms of the number of
applications being used, most are bought rather than built.

That's my reality. What's yours?
that there is a huge market for custom-developed proprietary software. And not
just in the U.S.
--
.. Phoenix

{smallsort}

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

"Phoenix" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
that there is a huge market for custom-developed proprietary software. And
not just in the U.S.
There is definitely a market; I participate in it. Regardless of how
*huge* it is, I have no doubt that the market for turnkey apps is much, much
bigger. And a key component in creating a diverse and robust business
software market is compatibility.

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

"JQP" wrote:
I'm never afraid of "real" opportunity. Opportunities with respect to
Linux
on the server are obvious but nothing that I can see with regard to the
desktop.
www.linux-mag.com/2003-05/linuxdesktop_01.html
Peter

Andreas Prucha wrote:
pNichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

>JQP wrote:

AFAIK many people use Linux. It's just not seen so often at the desktop,
yet.

In my exp. the typical sceanario is:

1. Replace Windows-Servers with Linux servers. Desktops still run under
Windows.
2. The servers run a few X-apps which are used by X-terminal software
under Windows.
3. And then the desktops might be replaced.

IMO it's very unlikely that companies switch from Windows at the desktop
to Linux from one day to the other. This is often just too difficult. I
expect a slow migration in many cases.

Yes, I agree with this. Linux Desktops are going to takw time to come into
their own, but the momentum is shifting this way, especially overseas.
It is harder to switch to Linux on the Desktop, but not that difficult.
There are some tools that Linux likes, but that will change as more are
developed.
The Server is where Linux is growing and will take over in the next few
years to come, IMHO. Desktop will take much longer. However, Linux desktops
are already about equal with Mac use.
64 bit could make Linux grow faster on the Desktop in those places where
companies want or need to move to 64 bit Desktops. Windows is not available
as 64 bit, but Linux 64 is ready today.

Andreas Prucha wrote:

>pNichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>
>>JQP wrote:
>>

>AFAIK many people use Linux. It's just not seen so often at the
>desktop, yet.
>
>In my exp. the typical sceanario is:
>
>1. Replace Windows-Servers with Linux servers. Desktops still run
>under Windows.
>2. The servers run a few X-apps which are used by X-terminal software
>under Windows.
>3. And then the desktops might be replaced.
>
>IMO it's very unlikely that companies switch from Windows at the
>desktop to Linux from one day to the other. This is often just too
>difficult. I expect a slow migration in many cases.

Yes, I agree with this. Linux Desktops are going to takw time to come
into their own, but the momentum is shifting this way, especially
overseas.
Where is overseas? On our side of the sea (Europe)? <g>
And yes, I agree. Esp. administrations (governments) seem to favor Linux.
For example, Munich has plans to change it's 14000 desktops to Linux. And
that's just one city. And other administrations have similar plans. If
only a small part of all these organizations really fully migrates, it
would still be a huge jump forward. And if people are used to Linux at
work, they may also start using it at their private PC.
The Server is where Linux is growing and will take over in the next
few years to come, IMHO. Desktop will take much longer. However, Linux
desktops are already about equal with Mac use.
Yep. IMO it will happe step by step.
64 bit could make Linux grow faster on the Desktop in those places
where companies want or need to move to 64 bit Desktops. Windows is
not available as 64 bit, but Linux 64 is ready today.
Yep, but this also looks more like server-side to me.

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

>(1) Extremely few Unix programmers use Pascal.
AP>Propably. But people who want to develop applications for Linux and
AP>Windows and come from Delphi do.
Obviosly they has two paths, return back to Windows or use C++ on Linux
reducing their efficiency.
>(2) Kylix has never been heavily supported by Borland
AP>Yes, unfortunately.
Did you read last secret documents? Kylix was giant Borland's experiment to
train it's developers to use linux. Who should to pay for training? Of
course customers. :-)
AP>Hmm, true. At the other hand, if I wanted to completely rewrite
AP>existing
AP>Windows apps (written in Delphi) I could also use one of the many C-
AP>development tools. Why should I choose Borland's then?
Because it use Pascal.
AP>AFAIK many people use Linux. It's just not seen so often at the
AP>desktop, yet.
AP>In my exp. the typical sceanario is:
AP>1. Replace Windows-Servers with Linux servers. Desktops still run
AP>under
AP>Windows.
AP>2. The servers run a few X-apps which are used by X-terminal
AP>software under Windows.
AP>3. And then the desktops might be replaced.
And then that stupid users encounter our magnificient command line... dream
of penguinista's. :-)
Many users has problems even with Windows interface. Ha! My mother able to
forget where "Save as..." is located even if 5 minutes before she was used
it. And this situation is common. Do you think Linux solve any of user
interface problems? No! It just made it worse due to various widget sets or
window managers.
AP>IMO it's very unlikely that companies switch from Windows at the
AP>desktop to Linux from one day to the other. This is often just too
AP>difficult. I expect a slow migration in many cases.
Agreed. If it happens at all.

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

PA>Maybe your car has automatic transmission while mine hasn't. Because
PA>you don't feel comfortable in my car I have to buy one with
PA>automatic transmission too? No way!
Automatic transmission make controlling of car simplier. I don't have car
with automatic transmission, but i tried it on the Mersedess of my friend.
That kind of improvement is welcome. And it is nearly only significant
difference between car movement controls.
You will find much more significant differences in Linux UI. Just go
through all widgets used in various window managers and notice differences
in behavior.

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

I think i saw one application that use this language. It was configuration
tool for postfix. If all other apps has same look, tcl-ish UI is complete
{*word*99}.

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Do you think Linux solve any of user
interface problems? No! It just made it worse due to various widget sets
or
window managers.
<sacrcasm>
Any business user will gladly sacrifice compatibility in exchange for all
the "innovation" that non-standard GUIs have brought about. KDE and Gnome
are way easier/faster/better than Windows or OS/X.
</sarcasm>

"Ender" wrote:

Automatic transmission make controlling of car simplier.
Only when you go to automatic transmission. Not the other way.
I can name very good reasons why my car has a hand-operated gearbox, but it
is OT. People have also good
reasons to choose a particular Desktop.
There are many different cars on the road and you are used to that. I'm sure
you don't want that changed. It's just we are not used to different Desktops
on our computers, But we will. There have always been people with Apples (I
discovered only after the release of the colored Apples, the e-mac I think,
Apple mouses do have only one key??!!).
I don't have car
with automatic transmission, but i tried it on the Mersedess of my friend.
That kind of improvement is welcome. And it is nearly only significant
difference between car movement controls.
Depents on what you are used to. Where I live it is not allowed to drive a
'non-automatic' car when you got your licence on an automatic car for the
first couple of years you have your driving licence. It's too dangerous.

You will find much more significant differences in Linux UI. Just go
through all widgets used in various window managers and notice differences
in behavior.
Name them. I've not seen much difference in Comboboxes on different systems.
Peter

"Peter Agricola" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Name them. I've not seen much difference in Comboboxes on different
systems.
If there are none, where is the "innovation" that is supposedly being
prompted by not adopting a standard ?

Re:Re: How increase Kylix sales

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Because it use Pascal.
Errm, I asked why I should use a Borland product if I have to use C++.
And then that stupid users encounter our magnificient command line...
dream of penguinista's. :-)
May be we see different desktops. In a company-environment it is not really
a bad thing if the user do not think that they understand everything.
Many users has problems even with Windows interface. Ha! My mother
able to forget where "Save as..." is located even if 5 minutes before
she was used it. And this situation is common. Do you think Linux
solve any of user interface problems? No! It just made it worse due to
various widget sets or window managers.
IMO, for those people it does not really make a difference.

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
<sacrcasm>
Any business user will gladly sacrifice compatibility in exchange for
all the "innovation" that non-standard GUIs have brought about. KDE
and Gnome are way easier/faster/better than Windows or OS/X.
</sarcasm>
If you look at the newer distributions you'll see that they try to make KDE
and Gnome look very similar. That is, if you use the standard settings. If
a user is not happy about the behavior and changes it, he /chooses/ to use
a "unusual" environment - and he should have the right to do it.