IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

2003-08-07 06:34:40 PM
kylix1
IBM rolled out four tanks from theirs more than 22,000 patent arsenal
inventory. That's right 22 K .. Each of them can blow out a
multimillion dollar hole in the defendant budget. (patents are very
expensive to litigate) IBM says that SCO infringes on patents in:
UnixWare, OpenServer, SCO Manager and Reliant HA produkts. It looks
like, after all, SCO will have to pay IBM license fees to use UNIX..
;-)
www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2245961
It is a good news for Linux, therefore Kylix users and Borland.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

>IBM rolled out four tanks from theirs more than 22,000 patent arsenal
MB>i was just yesterday discussing with my student when the big boys,
MB>in particular
MB>IBM, would start playing.
MB>who would ever have imagined that the big bad IBM of yesterday would
MB>turn into the shining white knight of today ? so much for SCO's
MB>"weapon of mass destruction".
Shining _blue_ knight. :-)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 06:34:40 -0400, juliusz wrote:
IBM rolled out four tanks from theirs more than 22,000 patent arsenal
inventory. That's right 22 K .. Each of them can blow out a
I knew that IBM would respond with their own version of a Thunder Run. I
have seen it many times over the decades. What I don't understand, is why
one of the smallest and poorest outfits first went after one of the
wealthiest companies in the world instead of a far smaller objective. They
could probably have extorted Red Hat and their customers out of something,
at least.
But, IBM knows as much about the legal system as it does about computers.
After all, they fought the Feds big time twice - once to a draw and once
pounding them into the ground. And the opponent was the same folks who
print our money! I can't remember a single important case that IBM lost
when the fat lady finally sang. Far far bigger entities have tried the
same thing in the past without success- Telex, Itel, Control Data,
Burroughs, India, France.
A long legal technical fight is a money matching contest, dollar for
dollar. And the just the coffee bill for the IBM legal department is
probably larger than SCO's gross.
WE

{smallsort}

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Hilton Evans wrote:
The irony of the anti-intellectual property
crowd cheering for the biggest Mo of IP
is rich.
There is nothing wrong with concept of intellectual properties as
long as the rights of the respectful owners are respected, as it
should. And there is nothing wrong with defending it.
Open source development is base and govern on concept of intellectual
property, specifically, the copyrights; Linux is intellectual
property of many different people who agreed to use one specific form
of licensing, the GPL.
SCO claims that they own somehow some of the code and because of this
they somehow gained control on the intellectual properties of
thousands of others. This attempt to gain such control over others IP
by collecting fees is by itself direct violation of GPL and won't fly.
If SCO would be serious, as IBM is, to protect theirs intellectual
property rights they should immediately after they discovered that
some code belong to them contact the Linux maintainers and clearly
show where the problem is; exactly which lines of code they think
belong to them and are unauthorized. If this was true then Linux
people could use the extensive and precise public records to identify
the person who put the code there and consequently remove the portion
of code from the kernel. But no, SCO doesn't want tell what's wrong,
and letting the alleged infringement to continue. Why?
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Ender wrote:
Shining _blue_ knight. :-)

To be accurate; Shining big blue knight :-)
juliusz
--

Hilton Evans wrote:
"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>There is nothing wrong with concept of intellectual properties

Tell that to them ->"anti-intellectual property crowd "

And who exactly they may be, you are referring to ? Are you referring
to a particular persons you know or some extremist group with
extremists views?.. they always be there, no matter what subject of
theirs view may be. In every area of human activities there are
extremists groups and extreme opposite views. But there is much more
in between and that's what counts. :-)
>of code from the kernel. But no, SCO doesn't want tell what's
>wrong, and letting the alleged infringement to continue. Why?

Legal strategy?
A legal strategy? If yes, then it is a very bizarre strategy, indeed:
they are letting their IP to continue to be abused and all this
without any reasonable reasons, except perhaps in intention to damage
Linux business..? But, again what the profit for them doing this?
juliusz
--
[...]

ChemPen Chemical Structure Software
www.chempensoftware.com

news:3f33cf6d$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Open source development is base and govern on concept of intellectual
>property, specifically, the copyrights; Linux is intellectual
>property of many different people who agreed to use one specific form
>of licensing, the GPL.

I realize that debate is futile but what the GPL attempts to define is the
absence of IP. I suppose you could define the lack of property rights as a
property right but it is a somewhat distorted usage of the term.

A good debate is never futile, you have your argument and other person
has his own. You debate not to proof that you are right (for this I
can tell you that you are right whiteout debating <g>) , but to
search for the truth, whatever it may be... and somtimes it is fun
too. ;-)
Yes, I know what you mean, but the IP "intellectual property" is
defined as: *patents*, *copyrights* and *trade secrets* not as "the
lack of property rights". The Linux development is govern by
copyrights, the GPL is based on copyright laws, every single small
part of the Linux kernel is owned by somebody, the ownership is
defined by his copyright to the code. Its just that there are many
copyrights holders on the final product and the condition of use of
the total work is defined in the GPL copyright terms so it cannot be
stolen.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software wrote:
I don't
understand this waste of time dealing with OS wars and browser wars. Damn
it, let somebody else do that. The value for people is not in *nix or
Windows.
That's the way to go.. I only wonder what brings you here.. to the
non-tech Kylix group then... and makes you participate in such
colossal waste of time.. <g>
juliusz
--

"Hilton Evans" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The irony of the anti-intellectual property
crowd cheering for the biggest Mo of IP
is rich.
Just one more addition to a pattern of logical and philosophical
inconsistency.

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

JQP wrote:
Yes, the GPL uses copyright law --- to the extent necessary to legally strip
the original author and any derivative authors of the majority of their IP
rights.

Who told you that? It is not exactly right. The author of any part of
Linux code has a full rights to his code, he can provide this code to
anybody else with a completely different license...
The only one restriction is that he cannot change his mind and remove
his code later on, because this would infringe on copyrights of other
developers since theirs code perhaps will not function without this
part of code in question. So the GPL terms are really not "strip of
all rights" but simply, necessary restriction- additional protection
to all of the copyright holders and project.. The participant cannot
withdraw the code or change the license terms for the code because
this will disrupt the project, it is also a protection against
hijacking the project by one individuum or corporation which may want
to collect fees on the basis of its small portion of IP.
This GPL restriction/ protection on IP is no different from any
restriction/ protection imposed by a software company on an employes
work; when terminated, he just cannot demand "give me my code back"
or put up on his web site a sign “pay up a license fee for Windows
etc. or I will sue you", in any case his code, his work becomes a
property of the software company and he cannot do what the GPL
developers can - license they own code to others for a fee or
otherwise.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
you mean like this
Yes.

Re:IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software" <alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>
wrote in message news:3f33b710$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
We're all gonna be without a job in a few years anyways so let's stop
complaining and let's work on some new ideas to generates cash ;-)
Look beyond software development --- it's rapidly becoming a "3rd world"
industry.

Hilton Evans wrote:
>A legal strategy?>If yes, then it is a very bizarre strategy,
>indeed:

Are you a lawyer?

It is really irrelevant question, since one doesn't need to be a
lawyer to have an opinion. The same way I could ask you, why you
want to know, are you a journalist ? ;-)
Maybe it is a legal strategy, for all I know , but surely looks like
a bizarre one to me, and to many other people as well; there is an
interesting paper by Eben Moglen "A Hard Look at Nebulous Claims"
juliusz
--

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Look beyond software development --- it's rapidly becoming a "3rd world"
industry.
You could say that about anything outside sales and marketing.
--
Iman
"If I had to live my life all over again," said Woody Allen, "I'd do it all