Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

2006-02-09 07:07:32 AM
kylix1
Well, this is sad:
<news.com.com/To+grow%2C+Borland+to+cut+off+its+roots/2100-1012-6036734.html>
You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
This is a sad, sad day. It will be a strange thing to be in a world
without Borland compilers. I grew up on Turbo Pascal, Delphi and,
finally, Kylix.
trane
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

At 00:07:32, 09.02.2006, Trane Francks wrote:
Well, this is sad:

<news.com.com/To+grow%2C+Borland+to+cut+off+its+roots/2100-1012-6
036734.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e433>

You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.

This is a sad, sad day. It will be a strange thing to be in a world
without Borland compilers. I grew up on Turbo Pascal, Delphi and,
finally, Kylix.
Er... I think you misunderstood (the article is a bit misleading):
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33439,00.html
<<
Borland plans separate company for its developer products - by David
Intersimone
To our loyal developer community:
Today, Wednesday February 8, 2006 at 1am Pacific Time, Borland announced
plans to seek a buyer for our IDE product lines that include Delphi,
C++Builder, C#Builder, JBuilder (and Peloton), InterBase, JDataStore,
nDataStore, Kylix, and our older Borland and Turbo language products and
tools. The goal is to create a standalone business focused on advancing
individual developer productivity using the people inside Borland who are
focused on the success of these award winning products.

Also, read borland.public.delphi.non-technical, or some blogs by
Borlanders:
blogs.borland.com/abauer/archive/2006/02/07/23006.aspx
blogs.borland.com/adammarkowitz/archive/2006/02/08/23060.aspx
blogs.borland.com/MichaelSwindell/archive/2006/02/08/23076.aspx
blogs.borland.com/davidi/archive/2006/02/08/23013.aspx
blogs.borland.com/ao/archive/2006/02/08/23072.aspx
blogs.borland.com/johnk/archive/2006/02/08/23053.aspx
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied

On 02/09/2006 08:27 AM +0900, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Er... I think you misunderstood (the article is a bit misleading):
It seems so.
bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33439,00.html
Thanks for this and the other links. The picture doesn't seem quite so
bleak now.
(Oh, and sorry for the apparent double-post. I saw I had misread the
news item in my first posting and canceled the article. Too late, you
saw it.)
trane
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Trane Francks wrote:
You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
And here I had this fantasy that the reason Trolltech dropped its
minimal coding support in Qt Designer was that they'd secretly been
negotiating with Borland over a full Qt IDE...

On 2006-02-08, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>036734.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e433>
>
>You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
>
>This is a sad, sad day. It will be a strange thing to be in a world
>without Borland compilers. I grew up on Turbo Pascal, Delphi and,
>finally, Kylix.

Er... I think you misunderstood (the article is a bit misleading):
I agree, I took it at at least something with a positive potential.
The buyer and/or standalone company will have the devel tools as core
business.
(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and not
kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology; that is the
positive part)

At 11:44:50, 09.02.2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:
(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and not
kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology; that is the
positive part)
I'm sure they will carefully choose a buyer which won't do that.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Ask her to wait a moment - I am almost done."

Forrest wrote:
And here I had this fantasy that the reason Trolltech dropped its
minimal coding support in Qt Designer was that they'd secretly been
negotiating with Borland over a full Qt IDE...
Adding Qt 4 support for Lazarus is easy.
In only 1 day I alone was able to add TCustomForm, TCustomButton, TLabel
and TCustomMemo, being that TCustomMemo is based on rich edit component
on Qt.
If we had more people, full support for Qt 4 on Lazarus could be
developed in 2 or 3 months.
More information here:
wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Qt_Interface
and here: users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/fpcqt4.html
Currently Lazarus supports Gtk1, gnome and Gtk2.
Felipe

Trane Francks wrote:
You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
FWIW, I see it as Kylix having a better chance. A company that focuses
on the IDE lines would be more likely to revisit Kylix than one that is
focussing mainly on ALM.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
Have questions?: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

On 2006-02-09, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
At 11:44:50, 09.02.2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and not
>kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology; that is the
>positive part)

I'm sure they will carefully choose a buyer which won't do that.
There won't be _that_ many buyers, so there might not be a choice.
Possibilities could be Apple and Novell. From the major players, these seem
to have no good toolchain/IDE of their own (XCode is a joke), and Apple is
good in the cashdepartment atm.

On 2006-02-09, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>At 11:44:50, 09.02.2006, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
>>(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and
not>>kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology;
that is the>>positive part)

>I'm sure they will carefully choose a buyer which won't do that.

There won't be that many buyers, so there might not be a choice.
Then they might just start on their own, who knows?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools.

Re:Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
Kylix couldn't be more dead than it currently is.
So any news is good news in Kylix's case...

On 02/10/2006 11:33 PM +0900, theo wrote:

>You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.

Kylix couldn't be more dead than it currently is.
So any news is good news in Kylix's case...
My first fear was MS coming in, buying up the technology and then, poof,
it's ALL gone.
trane
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

On 2006-02-08, Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>>036734.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e433>
>>
>>You can stop wishing for Borland to breathe fresh life into Kylix.
>>
>>This is a sad, sad day. It will be a strange thing to be in a world
>>without Borland compilers. I grew up on Turbo Pascal, Delphi and,
>>finally, Kylix.
>
>Er... I think you misunderstood (the article is a bit misleading):

I agree, I took it at at least something with a positive potential.

The buyer and/or standalone company will have the devel tools as core
business.

(Of course this assumes the buyer will really exploit the tools, and not
kill them, and integrate the remains in some own technology; that is the
positive part)

Sorry to jump in this, but this thread caught my eye. How do you
guys maintain such a positive spin on this news? I mean, if
Borland *doesn't* want to maintain the stuff inhouse, how
would any other company(NON-MS) be bothered with the dev tools?
The only way I feel that any of the individual products
can survive (or at least, Delphi/C++/C#, Kylix, JBuilder..etc )
is when individual companies sell them. Concentrated
development effort on each product Delphi BDS, Kylix,
JBuilder etc.. may just help the products, especially
the lagging ones (i.e. Kylix). On one hand, since BDS
is doing well, wouldn't dumping it off to another company slow BDS'
progression? On the other hand, could this help Kylix to
improve?
Borland is certainly, as the article states, cutting off its
roots. Borland(to me) is synonymous to Development. Now,
this will not be the case. :(
Or how about OpenSource Kylix? :) (Just a precursory thought..
nothing much. :))
Edmund

Re:Kylix dead - Borland to sell developer tools

My first fear was MS coming in, buying up the technology and then, poof,
it's ALL gone.
That in fact has a point.
But OTOH, Remobject is selling Chrome, a Delphi for .NET replacement
product (Improved, they claim), that is able to produce code for Mono,
and they once said that they have good contact with Microsoft.
Maybe the world is not _that_ bad :)
-Michael

Edmund wrote:
On one hand, since BDS
is doing well, wouldn't dumping it off to another company slow BDS'
progression?
It could probably do better than it is now. Moving it to another
company could speed its progression.