Can Kylix handle this?

2003-11-11 05:44:15 PM
kylix2
I received my copy of Kylix with Delphi 7 Arhitect Package.
We use Windows and Solaris at work, and I have no use for Kylix.
But I have it, and that make me thinking.
My ISP uses some kind of Intel box running Linux for hosting.
I am aloved to use binary CGI.
I know that Kylix is buggy, and not well supported.
It's future is not clear at all.
But, it seems that bugs are in the IDE and
GUI components, and none of that is of any interest for me.
I plan to write console delphi app,
handle std input request and create std output
response in my own pure pascal code.
No databases, no framework of any kind, no nothing.
I have no trouble not even using SysUtils.
After that is done, compile source in kylix under
VMWare and upload it to my site.
If compiler works as expected, and they are
able to handle std in out flawlessly, this shoud work.
Can any of you experienced Kylix users predict
some kind of trouble in this scenario?

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Hrvoje Brozovic wrote:
[...]

There may be problems with kernel and glibc version used on target Linux.
Check versions or better write simple app and try to run it on target
machine. But if you not going to use even WebSnap or Indy it is unlikely
that you expirience typical problems.

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
There may be problems with kernel and glibc version used on target Linux.
Check versions or better write simple app and try to run it on target
machine. But if you not going to use even WebSnap or Indy it is unlikely
that you expirience typical problems.
I'm not even close to this. I have to find time to install linux under
VMWare first.
But, can't glibc from my Linux be statically linked by Kylix?
Isn't that the way to avoid problems you mentioning?

{smallsort}

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Hrvoje Brozovic wrote:
I'm not even close to this. I have to find time to install linux under
VMWare first.
You should install same version of Linux as located on target machine. Just
for reliability of tests.
But, can't glibc from my Linux be statically linked by Kylix?
No. Kylix cannot statically link glibc.
Isn't that the way to avoid problems you mentioning?
Kylix always link to glibc dynamically.

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Ender ( XXXX@XXXXX.COM ) wrote:
Hrvoje Brozovic wrote:
There may be problems with kernel and glibc version used on target Linux.
I've never encountered any single problem related to kernel or glibc
versions. We do multi-threaded tcp server daemon stuff in Kylix, and so
far it worked on any distribution, kernel and glibc version we've seen.
While the Kylix IDE and the CLX sure have quite a few bugs and
compatibility problems, everything non-visual is rock-stable.
Sorry Ender, but it sounds like you are spreading FUD.
Hrvoje, you really should try it. And there is no reason not to use
classes, sysutils or database stuff.
Simon

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

I've never encountered any single problem related to kernel or glibc
versions. We do multi-threaded tcp server daemon stuff in Kylix, and
so
far it worked on any distribution, kernel and glibc version we've
seen.

I'm second to that.
Alex

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

>There may be problems with kernel and glibc version used on target
>Linux.
SK>I've never encountered any single problem related to kernel or glibc
SK>versions. We do multi-threaded tcp server daemon stuff in Kylix, and
SK>so far it worked on any distribution, kernel and glibc version
SK>we've seen.
This does not mean that it will work flawlessly on distribution you not
seen.
SK>While the Kylix IDE and the CLX sure have quite a few bugs and
SK>compatibility problems, everything non-visual is rock-stable.
Well, try to run any dbExpress related app, for example, on RedHat 6.0. Non
visual, of course. Connect to something, retrieve data, disconnect.
SK>Sorry Ender, but it sounds like you are spreading FUD.
Maybe it seems. But also seems you has too small amount of expirience with
Kylix. About 35 of 200 Kylix related bugreports in Quality Central created
by me and about 20 is not entered. I just don't see any reason in that.
SK>Hrvoje, you really should try it. And there is no reason not to use
SK>classes, sysutils or database stuff.
Classes & sysutils - ok, database stuff - not everywhere. Just check Quality
Central.

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Kylix works great for CGI programs!!!!
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, I have CGI upload programs that have
been running perfectly since K1 came out in 2001.

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

I have K3 running on Gentoo 1.4 with all the bleeding edge stuff and it
works great.
You may run into issues runnig it on old version of linux, not really new
ones.
I even had it running on Gentoo with a 2.6 test kernel.

"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Hrvoje, you really should try it. And there is no reason not to use
classes, sysutils or database stuff.

I'll do. As for Classes, they are inevitable,
since my engine is huge consumer of
TList and TStringList.
And, thinking about that, Classes takes SysUtils
with them. So, I must correct myself,
I'm not in position not to use SysUtils.
I am very pleased with responses I received
for my post. Thank you all, I'm very encouraged.
I expect to do sam trivial test before end of November.
PS. My ISP is using Debian 2.2

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

I've never encountered any single problem related to kernel or glibc
versions. We do multi-threaded tcp server daemon stuff in Kylix, and so
far it worked on any distribution, kernel and glibc version we've seen.

While the Kylix IDE and the CLX sure have quite a few bugs and
compatibility problems, everything non-visual is rock-stable.

Sorry Ender, but it sounds like you are spreading FUD.

Simon
I agree completely...
Everything non visual is really rock-solid.
Furthermore, CGI applications are (almost) memory-leak safe
since they are immediately freed. That is: eventual
dbexpress or clx memory issues does not affect cgi applications.
Talking about web-broker style applications (our preferred
framework to make cgi apps indelphi / kylix):
- it's a really good framework
- stable
- completely cross platform (almost) between win and linux
- transparent respect to CGI, dso or dll final product
(but be careful, DSOs, DLLs accumulates memory leaks)
- extensible: you can write yourself or use third party powerful
session-management components for CGI
Sorry Ender, but it sounds like you are spreading FUD.
and it's not the first time. Your e-mail sounds strange, too...
Roberto

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Tony Caduto wrote:
I have K3 running on Gentoo 1.4 with all the bleeding edge stuff and it
works great.
With unofficial patches or out of box?

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Hrvoje, you really should try it. And there is no reason not to use
classes, sysutils or database stuff.
Classes and sysutils (and all the rtl that is shared with Delphi 6-7) are
stable and solid, database stuff (dbexpress drivers) have many problems, see
quality central, so you can use it but it's usual to find problems...

Re:Can Kylix handle this?

Alex Brainman wrote:
>I've never encountered any single problem related to kernel or glibc
>versions. We do multi-threaded tcp server daemon stuff in Kylix, and
so
>far it worked on any distribution, kernel and glibc version we've
seen.

I'm second to that.
Until you try XML/XSL with Xerces/Xalan on newer glibc.
--
Best regards
Stig Johansen