What distros do you all use?

2005-02-05 04:29:33 AM
kylix1
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.
Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment? I'm
relatively new to Linux, so I'm not terribly committed to flying under
any particular banner. I thought FC3 sounded good, but it seems as
though it all changes so fast, that people don't really want to support
it (meaning Kylix3 patches and Mono).
So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?
--clint

Re:What distros do you all use?

After previously using Kylix on older Redhat distributions, I recently
built a machine to test SUSE 9.2. I got Kylix going with little trouble
but I can't say I have really tested enough to know how well it is going
to work.
I would expect that Mono would work as well on SUSE as any other
distribution since it is sponsored by Novell.

Harry Barclay wrote:
After previously using Kylix on older Redhat distributions, I recently
built a machine to test SUSE 9.2. I got Kylix going with little trouble
but I can't say I have really tested enough to know how well it is going
to work.
Last weekend I upgraded (a new installation) from SUSE 9.0 to SUSE 9.2 and
after adding "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.6" to the "startdelphi" script
and adding the .xmodmap file/patch (www.kylix-patch.de.vu) for fixing the
German AltGr key problem, I must say the Kylix IDE works prety well. Even
the de{*word*81} worked while debugging by the CPU view (fixing QThemed
package support). The only problem I found was that the console window
which can be activated trought the "Start / Parameters" dialog does not
work. When I start the application Kylix says something like: "Cannot
start application, file not found". But I have not investigated in this
problem, yet. But when changing something for the Form's z-order problem I
need the console window for debug information so maybe I find a way to
solve this too.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Clint Herron wrote:

So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?

Hi Clint,
For me SuSE 8.2 was the best Kylix Distro so far. I am currently using
SuSE 9.2. It's quite amaizin to see how SuSE it's getting better and
better every time! Truely a polished product right now. The only
problems I am still getting having is with{*word*154}/delayed file
open/save dialogs.
You can install Mono (not the latest version) with YAST from the SuSE
cd's/DVD with SuSE 9.1 + I have never tried Mono myself..
At the moment I would recommend SuSE 9.2.
Good luck!
Siegs

Clint Herron wrote:
So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?
SUSE 9.2 32bit -- on 64bit it does not work :-(
Eugen

Re:What distros do you all use?

Hi Clint,
Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment?
Red Hat 7.2 for internal development, still works fine for me (with
Kylix 3 and InterBase 5.6 as well as DB2 UDB as databases, plus Apache
as web server).
--clint
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi Win32 & .NET training and support - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:What distros do you all use?

That problem with the console Window happens also when running the Kylix IDE
on Red Hat's 64 bit "Enterprise 3" distribution. I'm using Kylix
Professional on that distribution and it's unpatched except for adding
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 to the startdelphi script. Everything else works
great using the Delphi portion of Kylix. I haven't tried the C++ part of
Kylix on that distrubution because I presently have no need.
In case someone asks, I'm running on a corporate network system where my
home directory is on a server somewhere else in the building and I connect
through terminal emulation software running on a Windows PC (believe it or
not, this works extremely well even over VPN & Cable Modem). With that same
remote home directroy I log on to either a 32 bit Red Hat 7.3 or a 64 bit
Red Hat Enterpise 3 system. Long ago I had installed Kylix on the 32 bit
Red Hat system and just recently they brought the 64 bit system on line. So
first thing I did when I got access to the 64 bit system was try to start of
Kylix and, much to my astonishment, Kylix ran just fine after adding
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5. I mention this because I read about other people
having trouble installing Kylix on 64 bit systems and I don't want anyone to
assume that they can run out and buy a standalone 64 bit machine and install
Kylix by normal means Maybe you can do that but I have no knowledge about
whether it's true that you can.
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Harry Barclay wrote:

>After previously using Kylix on older Redhat distributions, I recently
>built a machine to test SUSE 9.2. I got Kylix going with little trouble
>but I can't say I have really tested enough to know how well it is going
>to work.

Last weekend I upgraded (a new installation) from SUSE 9.0 to SUSE 9.2 and
after adding "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.6" to the "startdelphi" script
and adding the .xmodmap file/patch (www.kylix-patch.de.vu) for fixing the
German AltGr key problem, I must say the Kylix IDE works prety well. Even
the de{*word*81} worked while debugging by the CPU view (fixing QThemed
package support). The only problem I found was that the console window
which can be activated trought the "Start / Parameters" dialog does not
work. When I start the application Kylix says something like: "Cannot
start application, file not found". But I have not investigated in this
problem, yet. But when changing something for the Form's z-order problem I
need the console window for debug information so maybe I find a way to
solve this too.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/blog)

Re:What distros do you all use?

Over the past couple of years I've had success with Red Hat 7.2, Red Hat
7.3, 64 bit Red Hat Enterprise 3, Mandrake 9.1, Mandrake 10.0, and Mandrake
10.1. What I do now is that I use Red Hat at work and Mandrake at home.
"Clint Herron" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.

Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there.
What flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment? I'm
relatively new to Linux, so I'm not terribly committed to flying under
any particular banner. I thought FC3 sounded good, but it seems as
though it all changes so fast, that people don't really want to support
it (meaning Kylix3 patches and Mono).

So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?

--clint

Re:What distros do you all use?

Hi Clint
Did you plan to use the Delphi part or the C++ part of Kylix ?
If it's the Delphi part, all distros seems to work well. But with the C++
part, that's another story ....
Regards,
Lionel
"Clint Herron" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de news:
4203db23$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
I'm discouraged and looking for some advice.

Kylix3 on FC3 is a pain, as is getting Mono up and running on there. What
flavors do you all use for your Linux dev environment? I'm relatively new
to Linux, so I'm not terribly committed to flying under any particular
banner. I thought FC3 sounded good, but it seems as though it all changes
so fast, that people don't really want to support it (meaning Kylix3
patches and Mono).

So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?

--clint

Re:What distros do you all use?

I am using Fedora 1 upgraded to the 2.6.10 kernel
on my home computer and have Kylix C++ running fairly well here
using patches generated by Andrew Hausladen.
At work I have Fedora 3 which is being updated daily
and heading toward Fedora 4 sometime within the next
4 months.
I have not been able to get Kylix to run in a useable
manner on Fedora 3. I also had no success with Fedora 2
earlier.
However, there was a new post from Andrew Hausladen.
I have not tried the "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.6"
patch at work yet.
On my FC3 system at work , Kylix C++ starts up , but all
the text in the drop down menu bars are invisible.
I have seen this problem before.
The newest distro that I have actually used to develop
any real code with Kylix C++ was Red hat 9.0.
I don't use Delphi at all.

Clint Herron wrote:
So anyway, what flavors work well for y'all?
RedHat 9 works fine for me.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Jason wrote:
That problem with the console Window happens also when running the Kylix
IDE on Red Hat's 64 bit "Enterprise 3" distribution.
The xterm was not installed on my PC. A simple "apt install xterm" solved
the problem. (I'm using apt4rpm for SUSE, makes live easier).

message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Jason wrote:

>That problem with the console Window happens also when running the Kylix
>IDE on Red Hat's 64 bit "Enterprise 3" distribution.

The xterm was not installed on my PC. A simple "apt install xterm" solved
the problem. (I'm using apt4rpm for SUSE, makes live easier).
I have xterm installed, Kylix just doesn't want to work with it. What
happens is that the program execution stalls for about a minute and then I
get a message about "cannot create process".

Jason wrote:
I have xterm installed, Kylix just doesn't want to work with it. What
happens is that the program execution stalls for about a minute and then
I get a message about "cannot create process".
Maybe xterm is not 64bit aware or the %debuggee% isn't? I do not have a 64
bit CPU so I can only guess.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen