Will there be another Kylix version?

2003-09-17 10:26:36 PM
kylix2
Now that CBuilderX has hit the scene and that there is another C++
development tool from Borland will there be any need for Kylix? The C++
side for Kylix is probably dead but will there be a Object Pascal port to
wxWindows toolkit? We as a community really need a vision plan for Kylix
now. Please someone in the know at Borland respond!!
Chris Woodruff

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

Chris Woodruff wrote:
Now that CBuilderX has hit the scene and that there is another C++
development tool from Borland will there be any need for Kylix? The C++
side for Kylix is probably dead but will there be a Object Pascal port to
wxWindows toolkit? We as a community really need a vision plan for Kylix
now. Please someone in the know at Borland respond!!

Chris Woodruff

Hi Chris,
as far as I experienced it today, Kylix will not be developed furthermore.
I received probably the same newsletter today from Borland as you did
(with the announcement of C++BuilderX)
So I called the German Sales Department and they acknowledged that Kylix
3 is definetly the last Version.
He had no official statement from Borland, but in his opinion Borland
wants to focus more on the C++ Developers. The success of attracting the
Delphi Community for developing with Borland/Linux was obviously under
expectations.
Yours,
Wolfgang

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

wants to focus more on the C++ Developers. The success of attracting the
Delphi Community for developing with Borland/Linux was obviously under
expectations.
What do you expect from a product with full of serious bugs and no bug
fixes for years?
Just check the QC bug reports for bugs going back as far as two years...
They did not release the source for dbExpress which would have been
fixed within days by the community. And this is just one example.

{smallsort}

BoBo wrote:
What do you expect from a product with full of serious bugs and no bug
fixes for years?
Just check the QC bug reports for bugs going back as far as two years...
They did not release the source for dbExpress which would have been
fixed within days by the community. And this is just one example.

Was it really that serious ? I know Kylix for just four weeks now. After
a lot of Problems with trying to install it on SuSe 8.2 I decided to
follow the Borland limit of SuSe 7.3
After that, my several little experimental applications worked well, so
far. ( C++ Version with third party Oracle Access Components)
But I can not really claim to have challenged it :-))

WMueller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
So I called the German Sales Department and they acknowledged that Kylix
3 is definetly the last Version.
I'm trying to reconcile this with Danny Thorpe's statement last
July that "Kylix is on a development schedule proportionate to
its revenue."
groups.google.com/groups
Was the German Sales Representative mistaken? Or was Danny
implying that Kylix development was continuing when he knew
that wasn't the case?
I hope there's another explanation.
In any case, I hope that the real message is that Borland is
not abandoning any of their developers, and will continue development
for all the current platforms and languages.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Rick Carter wrote:
WMueller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>So I called the German Sales Department and they acknowledged that Kylix
>3 is definetly the last Version.

I'm trying to reconcile this with Danny Thorpe's statement last
July that "Kylix is on a development schedule proportionate to
its revenue."
groups.google.com/groups

Was the German Sales Representative mistaken? Or was Danny
implying that Kylix development was continuing when he knew
that wasn't the case?

I hope there's another explanation.

In any case, I hope that the real message is that Borland is
not abandoning any of their developers, and will continue development
for all the current platforms and languages.

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

I can also intepret that to mean: "We'll put guys back to work on fixing
it and making the next version when we've sold enough copies of the
current version to cover its development costs."
David Erbas-White

WMueller wrote:
So I called the German Sales Department and they acknowledged that
Kylix 3 is definetly the last Version.
He had no official statement from Borland, but in his opinion Borland
wants to focus more on the C++ Developers.
If they have no official statement from Borland, they had no business saying
that it is or is not "definitely the last version", especially if they're
stating their own opinions only.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

So I called the German Sales Department and they acknowledged that Kylix
3 is definetly the last Version.
What's his name and phone number? I'd like to see if I can get the same
statement from him because I'd really like to know if Kylix is going to go
forward.

"Dave Nottage \(TeamB\)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
If they have no official statement from Borland, they had no business saying
that it is or is not "definitely the last version", especially if they're
stating their own opinions only.

--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Of course, you have to consider, that these guys state their own opinion, possibly mixed with internal rumors.
On the other hand, you must admit that Borland obviously didn't regard Kylix as their Key product. Although I didn't experience that in the same way as others did, Kylix seems not to be as stable as I knew that from other Borland Products. Additionally, missing Updates to actual Linux Versions (e.g. SuSE only < 7.3) are a matter of low priority on the product too.
So, in my personal opinion the situation of Kylix corresponds with the rumors.
Wolfgang
btw: @James David
I do not remember the name, I just called the number shown on the "Contact" Page of the German Website :
Sales Center
Tel: +49 (0)6103 979-320
e-Mail XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

Of course, you have to consider, that these guys state their own opinion,
possibly mixed with internal rumors.
On the other hand, you must admit that Borland obviously didn't regard
Kylix as their Key product. Although I didn't experience that in the same
way as others did, Kylix seems not to be as stable as I knew that from other
Borland Products. Additionally, missing Updates to actual Linux Versions
(e.g. SuSE only < 7.3) are a matter of low priority on the product too.
So, in my personal opinion the situation of Kylix corresponds with the
rumors.
I think you're right. I'm looking at a bid now for 50+ linux desktops that
will need two custom apps written for them. I'd like to use Kylix, but I
think we're going to have to bid it with a GNOME>GTK>GLADE package...
btw: @James David
I do not remember the name, I just called the number shown on the
"Contact" Page of the German Website :
Sales Center
Tel: +49 (0)6103 979-320
e-Mail XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Thanks for the info.

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

Kevin < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Seriously though- I don't believe it has been abandoned. At least, not
completely.

Why does everyone just assume that because Borland has released
C++BuilderX that they cannot produce a C++Builder 7 or a Kylix C++ 4?

After all, as long as their code is pretty modular all they need to do
is mix-and-match to produce a new version of C++Builder. Think about it....
I think you're right. Borland has just recently assured the
C++Builder crowd that the VCL code is not being abandoned.
There is an interesting link that still persists under the "Languages"
section on the Mono site. Kylix.NET. :-)
Yep. I'm pretty sure Borland's got something up their sleeve.
But they ain't talkin'. ;-)
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

Kevin wrote:
OK... I've mentioned mainly C++Builder 7 here, what about Kylix 4? There
is an interesting link that still persists under the "Languages" section
on the Mono site. Kylix.NET. :-)
A Kylix.NET would not be a Kylix 4. Perhaps the code name could be
KYNINKY (KYlix.Net Is Not KYlix 4)? ;)
--
Henrick Wibell Hellström,
StreamSec www.streamsec.com

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

OK... I've mentioned mainly C++Builder 7 here, what about Kylix 4?
There is an interesting link that still persists under the "Languages"
section on the Mono site. Kylix.NET. :-)

I suppose that they are referring to the test drive ".Net" compiler in
Delphi and translated that as "Kylix" because the assembly runs on a
Linux box (using Mono).
But I suppose Borland will concentrate their cross platform tools on CIL
compilers to have the assembly run on multiple OSes and multiple CPUs.
That makes more sense for them (primarily being a tool provider for
generating Desktop software) than bothering with multiple native codes.
So they are concentrating their force on Delphi 8 and maybe later (once
the IDE and the compiler are created as CIL assemblies themselves) there
will be an IDE and CIL compiler running on Linux.
Of course those that need to do "unmanaged" (=platform dependent) code
for their projects targeting Linux will have to wait some time.
-Michael

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

I think you're right. I'm looking at a bid now for 50+ linux desktops that
will need two custom apps written for them. I'd like to use Kylix, but I
think we're going to have to bid it with a GNOME>GTK>GLADE package...
Did you consider using D8 to write CIL code and have it run on Linux via
Mono ?
You should ask questions and promote that way in
borland.public.delphi.netpreview.non-technical.
-Michael

Re:Will there be another Kylix version?

Did you consider using D8 to write CIL code and have it run on Linux via
Mono ?

You should ask questions and promote that way in
borland.public.delphi.netpreview.non-technical.
It hadn't even crossed my mind. Very interesting. Thanks