Thinking of buying Kylix3

2003-11-23 11:43:35 AM
kylix0
Hello all,
I have been using Delphi for about 2 years now since I switched from
VB4,5,6 and I have been loving life. Love Delphi and its elegant
language and OO aspects.
MS is really starting to scare me. I am not an MS basher, but I want to
start writing apps in a very stable and cheap OS. The problem is that I
just learned Object Pascal! I don't want to learn another language
right now. Kind of funny. I switched to delphi to avoid .net and even
larger runtime files. Now, it seems like Windows is chasing me!
Now, I am thinking about Kylix, but I've been lurking in Kylix NG's
lately and have read the problems reported by users of Kylix concerning
bugs in the IDE, lack of support from borland, etc so I am wondering if
this would be an ideal solution since I want to port our companies main
application over to linux.
So, my first problem is whether I should even consider using Kylix or
maybe consider Java. I really, really like OP (don't really want to use
freepascal for an application like this one) and would like to solicit
any advice, suggestions, caveats about Kylix anyone may like to take the
time to offer.
Secondly, my total experience with Linux was installing madrake 8 and
playing with Kylix 2 for a few weeks about a year or so ago. Dont mind
the command line. Actually, I kind of like it. Reminds of DOS days
sorta. I haven't read up on Mandrak for a while, but had heard they had
problems and might fold.
Question: Can you suggest a free distribution of linux that can run
Kylix 3 that is fairly easy to get up to basic speed on?
Books: I definitely need books. Starter books, intermediate books, I
need good quality ones. I became pretty damn comfortable with object
pascal in about 6 months by reading a lot and always keeping a copy of
something delphi related in the {*word*99}per :)
Also, I would like to install linux on my HP laptop which has XP home
edition on it.
Anyone had any success installing linux on a laptop like my HP which has
an AMD athalon 2200 and uses a netgear wireless NIC?
I am sure that some of this post may be OT, and if so, please accept my
apologies and appreciation for reading and offering any advice or
suggestions.
--
Warm Regards,
Lee

Re:Thinking of buying Kylix3

Lee wrote:

Hello all,

I have been using Delphi for about 2 years now since I switched from
VB4,5,6 and I have been loving life. Love Delphi and its elegant
language and OO aspects.

Now, I am thinking about Kylix,

Download the open edition and give it a try. Be sure to apply the patch from
www.kylix-patch.de.vu
I use Libranet linux successfully with Kylix3 OpenEdition and the patch.
The distro is quite up to date, based on Debian with a better install.
They have a free version (2.7) that you could start with.
I have heard database stuff is somewhat problematic in Kylix. The open
edition has no database components.
If you don't want C++, maybe you could pick up the full version of
Kylix2 for less money and see if it works for you.
What type of apps are you considering?

Re:Thinking of buying Kylix3

Download the open edition and give it a try. Be sure to apply the patch
from

www.kylix-patch.de.vu

I use Libranet linux successfully with Kylix3 OpenEdition and the patch.
The distro is quite up to date, based on Debian with a better install.
They have a free version (2.7) that you could start with.

I have heard database stuff is somewhat problematic in Kylix. The open
edition has no database components.

If you don't want C++, maybe you could pick up the full version of
Kylix2 for less money and see if it works for you.

What type of apps are you considering?

Its a restaurant POS application with a firebird backend. We are using
very few of the VCL GUI controls. Pretty much the StringGrid and
TImage. TImage is used for all the buttons and most of the user
interface. I hear FIBPlus is pretty good and has Kylix 3 support, right
now we are using IBX and IBO. I'm not certain, but I don't think IBO
has Kylix support. I've been using kbmMW middleware (which I really
like) and I think that has Kylix support as well.
Keeping up with the latest distros is not that important if this app can
be ported successfully to Kylix. Once it was ported and we had a decent
distro to use, we would just standardize on that version for the next 5
years or so.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I have very limited knowledge of
linux, just the basics if you can call it that. What I thought would be
interesting to try was to have a nice beefy server running the app for
thin terminals on linux using x windows (?) which looks to me like using
terminal services or citrix for linux?
Even using fat terminals would be acceptable as well.
I was thinking of purchasing the Delphi7 upgrade to get Kylix 3...
--
Warm Regards,
Lee

{smallsort}

Lee wrote:

Question: Can you suggest a free distribution of linux that can run
Kylix 3 that is fairly easy to get up to basic speed on?

Mandrake 9.1

Also, I would like to install linux on my HP laptop which has XP home
edition on it.

Mandrake 9.1
P.S- Don't forget to update the IBX components.

Re:Thinking of buying Kylix3

Try Wine with your Delphi application.
"Lee" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

espiridiao wrote:
Lee wrote:

>Question: Can you suggest a free distribution of linux that can run
>Kylix 3 that is fairly easy to get up to basic speed on?

Mandrake 9.1
Thanks you, I have downloaded the ISO and will try again.
--
Warm Regards,
Lee