My Kylix days are over :-(

2004-08-16 10:03:35 PM
kylix2
Since Mono has been released I have converted all my server console apps and
socket servers to C#
and it was not that difficult.
If you want to use a supported language that gets frequent updates to the
CLR check out Mono.
I didn't notice a real difference in speed either since most of my apps use
Postgresql or Firebird and the bottleneck is the DB.
The neat thing is I designed,coded and compiled everything on win32, then
took the resulting exes and db assemblies and just copied them over to my
linux box and
everything just worked, no kidding!!!
Just thought I would pass it on, maybe Borland will see the light that
ignoring Kylix is a bad thing.

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

Tony Caduto wrote:
Since Mono has been released I have converted all my server console
apps and socket servers to C#
and it was not that difficult.
If you want to use a supported language that gets frequent updates to
the CLR check out Mono.
He-he. I'm switched to C++/STL/BOOST/QT/OCL about half of year ago. Of
course no integrated development environment, less fancy GUI stuff but
hey... it working, it fast and reliable. Because i don't needed to
fight with CLX and dbExpress bugs my productivity greatly growed, even
if i still novice in C++. The main advantage is that i solve my tasks
in straight and predictionable ways, instead of constant search of
workarounds.

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

"Tony Caduto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Since Mono has been released I have converted all my server console apps
and
socket servers to C#
and it was not that difficult.
If you want to use a supported language that gets frequent updates to the
CLR check out Mono.
I didn't notice a real difference in speed either since most of my apps
use
Postgresql or Firebird and the bottleneck is the DB.
The neat thing is I designed,coded and compiled everything on win32, then
took the resulting exes and db assemblies and just copied them over to my
linux box and
everything just worked, no kidding!!!

Tony what sockets components did you use on Win32 that ported directly over
to MONO?
-d

{smallsort}

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

I just used the built in .net Socket class.
All my console apps where built with Synapse so it wasn't that bad.
I can send you the server framework I have been toying around with. It's
super close to synapse functionality.
for readln I just used the network stream reader/writer and for streams I
have a handy class that is compatible with Indy's read/write stream methods.
Tony what sockets components did you use on Win32 that ported directly
over
to MONO?

-d

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

"Tony Caduto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I just used the built in .net Socket class.
All my console apps where built with Synapse so it wasn't that bad.

I can send you the server framework I have been toying around with. It's
super close to synapse functionality.
Yes, please. You should have my email address.

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

The neat thing is I designed,coded and compiled everything on win32, then
took the resulting exes and db assemblies and just copied them over to my
linux box and
everything just worked, no kidding!!!
I's a major shame that this does not hold for assemblies compiled with
D8.
-Michael

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

Michael Schnell wrote:
I's a major shame that this does not hold for assemblies compiled with
D8.
True.... let's hope they rectify this in Delphi 9!

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

Are you using MS Visual Studio for this? I really like Delphi and Kylix and
have not even looked at C#. Is it up to the job that Delphi is in terms of
fast development ?
-Lou
"Tony Caduto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Since Mono has been released I have converted all my server console apps
and
socket servers to C#
and it was not that difficult.
If you want to use a supported language that gets frequent updates to the
CLR check out Mono.
I didn't notice a real difference in speed either since most of my apps
use
Postgresql or Firebird and the bottleneck is the DB.
The neat thing is I designed,coded and compiled everything on win32, then
took the resulting exes and db assemblies and just copied them over to my
linux box and
everything just worked, no kidding!!!

Just thought I would pass it on, maybe Borland will see the light that
ignoring Kylix is a bad thing.

Re:My Kylix days are over :-(

If you use VS you just have to make sure you change to release mode (NOT
debug) when you deploy your app to MONO.
As far as console based apps I am actually more productive in VS.net or C#
builder than Kylix and you can connect to damn near any database.
The postgresql and firebird .net data providers are actually very nice.
Also I don't recommend this yet for anything other than console apps, but
for a Linux server what else do you need?