Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

2004-01-22 02:01:13 AM
kylix2
Ender wrote:
p>Besides, the secret here is "normal users." I think I have stated
p>that the "average" home user is not going to be switching to Linux
p>any time soon.Corporate users are quite a different matter.

As someone said "small companies build american economic". The companies
you named is high-tech corps where using of OS such as Linux is not
problem. But it going to be a problem when we look on small companies,
which neither have any it-staff nor desire to pay to hi-tech geeks.
BTW, Add Miami/Dade Country Government to the list of those adopting Linux
desktops. They are replacing 6,000 MS Desktops with Linux.

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

Look on MS home page. What do you see on the home page? WINDOWS IS
EVERYWHERE.
:-)))))))

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

>As someone said "small companies build american economic". The
>companies you named is high-tech corps where using of OS such as
>Linux is not problem. But it going to be a problem when we look on
>small companies, which neither have any it-staff nor desire to pay to
>hi-tech geeks.
p>BTW, Add Miami/Dade Country Government to the list of those adopting
p>Linux desktops. They are replacing 6,000 MS Desktops with Linux.
6000 desktops does not look as "small company". :-)

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

>As someone said "small companies build american economic". The
>companies you named is high-tech corps where using of OS such as
>Linux is not problem. But it going to be a problem when we look on
>small companies, which neither have any it-staff nor desire to pay to
>hi-tech geeks.
p>Small companies want to emulate larger companies.
Interesting in what way? I imagine only one method os emulation - more
money!
p>As more large companies adopt Linux, you think the smaller companies are
p>going to pay more to have less interaction with their suppliers?
I'm curious why they should to have less interaction?
p>I don't think so <G>.
p>Linux is much cheaper than Windows and provides a plethora of more
p>options.
I've heard that song many times. Yes it cheaper than Windows at initial pay,
however one give it's payment in the form of time or salary of IT-geek. Each
case you use your time to deal with some problem. Many of stupid small user
problems just not exist on Windows.
p>If, however, Linux is no threat to MS {*word*108}, I wish you guys
p>would tell that to Microsoft <G>. You could save them millions of
p>advertizing dollars and Bill and Steve would not have to fly all over
p>the world to stop governments from switching.
It is very good that someone will be always on MS's tail. Linux does not
allow to MS to create monopoly. Fine. So Windows getting better and better.
p>Another fly to your ointment theory is that smaller companies will
p>not/do not/have not/ used Linux.
p>Smaller companies have been adopting Linux for Web servers for years.
Yes. Few. And you constantly forgetting about subject. :-)))
p>If they get familiar with Linux as a server, do you really think it
p>will become more difficult for them to learn Linux with a point and
p>click GUI?
Yes. More difficult. Because "server with {*word*155} admin"<>"desktop with Joe
Average".

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

Ender wrote:
p>(2) Look at Linux server market. Growing faster than anything else
p>PERIOD.
p>That's fact, not fiction. Look on the IBM home page. What do you see
p>on the home page? LINUX IS EVERYWHERE.

Look on MS home page. What do you see on the home page? WINDOWS IS
EVERYWHERE.
:-)))))))
Does IBM own Linux? Does MS own Windows? Unfair comparison.
IBM does not profit from Linux except from services, hardware sales, and
support. MS is total Windows or they are nothing at all.
What does Oracle have to do with OS profits? Answer=none.
So stating that a company whose entire revenue base is based on an OS verses
a company who makes money on only three OSes (AIX, OS390, OS400), yet who
promotes another OS that they do not own, to any reasonale person would
seem much less biased.
IBM would certainly make more money if they backed AIX, instead of Linux.

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

Hilton Evans wrote:
.

So reminiscent of those OS/2 is everywhere, stable and unbreakable
messages so prevelent in the 1990s.

However, the difference is OS/2 was more expensive than Windows, and lacked
any good Application Development tools. Add to that the fact that the
Vendors were not pushing OS/2 (with the exception of IBM), and you have a
vastly different approach.
MS was successful, early on, because they courted developers. According to
recent reports, 55% of developers now code for Linux, and they certainly
hold negative opinions of MS. That is not a strategy for future success,
IMHO.

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>As someone said "small companies build american economic". The
>>companies you named is high-tech corps where using of OS such as
>>Linux is not problem. But it going to be a problem when we look on
>>small companies, which neither have any it-staff nor desire to pay to
>>hi-tech geeks.

p>BTW, Add Miami/Dade Country Government to the list of those adopting
p>Linux desktops. They are replacing 6,000 MS Desktops with Linux.

6000 desktops does not look as "small company". :-)
It's not even a "company"
--
Hilton Evans

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

On 01/21/04 22:37 +0900, JQP wrote:
Corporate users are not "normal" users?
It's obvious that the comment defined the difference between
corporate desktop users and home desktop users. The needs of both
are quite different.
China is obviously not small ... but it's not a "market" for software.
Says you. The company for which I work has offices in both
Shanghai and Beijing. We enjoy a growing business environment
there and have had business relations with China since 1974.
What China does mostly affects China, which OS they use is not terribly
relevant to outsiders. You and I won't be writing software for the Chinese
"market" regardless of their OS.
Stick to you not writing the software for that market. The rest
of us with the technical skill and cultural acumen to
successfully sell a product there will continue to do so.
Don't you ever get tired of being proven wrong?
Bzzzzt, wrong answer. Thanks for playing. Better luck next time. ;^)
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

Is there a small, specialized Linux distro that is hard wired to do nothing
but launch Mozilla on startup? I haven't found one. I'm giving away ideas
here but this might be a potential product for someone.
There is a "Lindows CD". Same does not use the harddisk (and thus is
secure by read-only design if you even pull the hardisk's power plug
<g>). It can do OpenOfice and such additionally to your requirements.
-Michael

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

... and made some interesting comments. Among them, " I mean it's going to
take, literally five to 10 years before "normal users" start seeing Linux
desktop..."

Did he take into account that the Microsoft policy for the next versions
(e.g. required registration via Internet, data encrypted and only
readable with software re-registered every some days) of Windows will
prevent stealing the software more effectively than today ?
I think this will push Linux in that area more than anything else.
-Michael

"JQP" wrote:
Is there a small, specialized Linux distro that is hard wired to do
nothing
but launch Mozilla on startup? I haven't found one. I'm giving away
ideas
here but this might be a potential product for someone.
I don't think you can force that by software. Using Linux for that will make
it even more difficult because you have to distribute the source to. For
what you want you need a hardware solution wich are sold by eg. Wise. These
terminals run on Windows CE or CE.NET. I think this is why some people call
them dumb terminals<g>
Peter

Peter Agricola wrote:

"JQP" wrote:
>Is there a small, specialized Linux distro that is hard wired to do
nothing
>but launch Mozilla on startup? I haven't found one. I'm giving away
ideas
>here but this might be a potential product for someone.

I don't think you can force that by software. Using Linux for that will
make it even more difficult because you have to distribute the source to.
For what you want you need a hardware solution wich are sold by eg. Wise.
These terminals run on Windows CE or CE.NET. I think this is why some
people call them dumb terminals<g>
This is easily doable. At the end of boot, start X without a window
manager and have the app, Mozilla, run via xinit. A simple loop
can check whether it bombed and therefore restart it or reboot
the system. As for distribution of source code, puhhhllleeeaaasse,
there is no requirement to distribute it, you only have to make it
available, or point to a place where you can get it.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Re:Re: Desktop Linux any decade now!

"Bob { Goddard }" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:buobs1$k2kdp$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
This is easily doable. At the end of boot, start X without a window
manager and have the app, Mozilla, run via xinit. A simple loop
can check whether it bombed and therefore restart it or reboot
the system. As for distribution of source code, puhhhllleeeaaasse,
there is no requirement to distribute it, you only have to make it
available, or point to a place where you can get it.
Is there not some way to abort before xinit runs?
What we're talking about is turning an old obsolete PC into a "dumb" browser
based terminal without any possibility of users mucking around with it.. If
this can be done, it should be much cheaper than buying "dumb" terminals.
Products from companies like Wyse generally seem to cost more than a new PC.

"Bob { Goddard }" wrote:
As for distribution of source code, puhhhllleeeaaasse,
there is no requirement to distribute it, you only have to make it
available, or point to a place where you can get it.
What's the difference?
Peter

"JQP" wrote:
Is there not some way to abort before xinit runs?

What we're talking about is turning an old obsolete PC into a "dumb"
browser
based terminal without any possibility of users mucking around with it..
If
this can be done, it should be much cheaper than buying "dumb" terminals.
Products from companies like Wyse generally seem to cost more than a new
PC.
That is why I said you need special hardware for it. When you want to turn a
PC in a dumb terminal you have at least to remove the floppy station and
make it in the BIOS impossible to boot from CD (or other devices) and secure
your BIOS setup with a password. More safe is to remove all bootable devices
except the HD. Be sure the user can't open the case to plug in his own
floppy drive. Because you need a nic and networking think about deamons like
telnet etc. But it also depends from the knowledge or intentions of your
user.
Peter