Need GUI front end to su

2005-07-04 02:06:38 AM
kylix1
I'm using makeself.sh to execute a script and GUI installation
application. In the script I use kdesu to change to root. This doesn't
work when the user only have Gnome installed. I haven't been able to
find any way to overcome this problem.
Does anyone know of a Kylix project that could be a substitute for
kdesu? Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Corwin

Re:Need GUI front end to su

Does anyone know of a Kylix project that could be a substitute for
kdesu? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Maybe this helps:
www.xpde.com/builds.php
See: src/applets/xpsu

Re:Need GUI front end to su

theo wrote:

>Does anyone know of a Kylix project that could be a substitute for
>kdesu? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Maybe this helps:

www.xpde.com/builds.php
See: src/applets/xpsu
It's been so long since I've seen any news from xpe that I forgot about
it. I did successfully build the xpsu project but I haven't been able to
get it to work with the makeself.sh script. When I started this
project it took me many hours of lost sleep to finally come up with a
solution using kdesu.
I don't remember where I got this solution. Maybe you or someone else
have a better solution.
To test xpsu I made the following change in the startwiz script:
kdesu -c ./chroot
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="`pwd`/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
xpsu ./chroot
I can enter the root password but I keep getting these type of errors no
matter what changes that I've made to these scripts:
$ /tmp/selfgz16343/chroot: line 5: /tmp/selfgz16343/install: No such
file or directory
Child terminated with 127 status
$ /tmp/selfgz16716/install: line 8: /tmp/selfgz16716/Setup: No such file
or directory
Child terminated with 127 status
$ shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory
bash: line 1: /tmp/selfgz16931/install: No such file or directory
Child terminated with 127 status
I've verified that chroot, install and Setup are extracted to the above
mentioned directories so I don't understand why this is happening.
Here are my scripts:
# ========================
# start of startwiz script
# if not root goto root
#!/bin/bash
#----------
if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
then
xhost +>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
kdesu -c ./chroot
xhost ->/dev/null 2>/dev/null
else
./install
fi
# end of startwiz
# ======================
# start of chroot script
# now in root run the
# install script
#!/bin/bash
#----------
./install
# end of chroot
# =======================
# start of install script
# from root run my Kylix 3
# app installer
#!/bin/bash
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="`pwd`/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
`pwd`/Setup
# end of install
I think xpsu would be the solution if these errors can be solved.
Thanks,
Corwin

{smallsort}