Re: Kylix Lives!

2003-07-15 08:59:52 PM
kylix2
Finally some good news. I am glad someone at Borland could make a statement
and give us Linux developers some peace of mind.
--
Chris Woodruff
Openpenguin
"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote in message
A glimmer of hope:

news:3f13595b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

Chris Woodruff wrote:
Finally some good news. I am glad someone at Borland could make a
statement and give us Linux developers some peace of mind.
could someone quote the message, I can't seem to get to the link.
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote:
A glimmer of hope:

news:3f13595b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM

This is a nice little word. Thanks to Danny.
The only thing that would please me more was if Borland
resources devoted to Kylix were MORE than proportional to
it's income stream ;-). Or that Borland was distributing
the heavy maintenance load by juciciously opening more code
to the community.
But... a corporation really ought to devote more time to
reassuring customers than an occasional bolt like this
from on high.
And... people who spend so much time {*word*75}ing really ought
to just learn QT, Java, or plain old gcc if they're so
miserable with the state of Kylix.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

On 15 Jul 2003 10:20:31 -0700, "Andrew Walsh" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
And... people who spend so much time {*word*75}ing really ought
to just learn QT, Java, or plain old gcc if they're so
miserable with the state of Kylix.

People {*word*75} because they care. But maybe you're right... why care
about a tool? Perhaps it's better to be pragmatic and just learn QT,
Java, gcc, or PyQt for that matter, write off the $$$ spent on Kylix
as a bad investment, and abandon any illusions that Borland is a
'different' sort of company with a 'special' sort of relationship with
it's customers.

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (ckd) wrote:
Perhaps it's better to be pragmatic and just learn QT,
Java, gcc, or PyQt for that matter, write off the $$$ spent on Kylix as a bad investment
I'm not saying you have to write off the time and money
spent on Kylix, but always have a backup plan. And always
know how to make Kylix work with other Linux development tools
using shared objects, interprocess communications, or
whatever. That way you won't have to worry about feeling
betrayed or stranded if Kylix lingers behind the upgrade loop.
The good thing about Linux is it's relatively easy to
make different tools work together - IPC is built into
the OS. Kylix shouldn't be the only item in your programming
toolbox.
And, no offense, but the people who talk like their lives are
being tormented by Kylix and Linux and they're up to their
necks in a cesspool of endless misery should just move on.

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Felix E. Klee" wrote
He also said something about an upcoming "big
surprise" concerning "CPP Builder" and LINUX...
Just last week I heard a disquieting rumour about Linux-BCB and Kylix,
i.e.
that the binary compatability of TObjects built with the Delphi and C++
compilers
- i.e. the equivalent layout of the VMT - would somehow be compromised in
future releases.
This used to be a major "feature" of BCB/Delphi compatability under
Windows,
upon which I've based design of exportable API classes from DLL's...
so I hope this is not true... but can anybody confirm this story?
Kristofer

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

Kristofer Skaug wrote:
>He also said something about an upcoming "big
>surprise" concerning "CPP Builder" and LINUX...

Just last week I heard a disquieting rumour
Hm, what I heard wasn't disuieting. It sounded more like a new or improved
product will be available for LINUX in the near future.
about Linux-BCB and Kylix,
i.e.
that the binary compatability of TObjects built with the Delphi and C++
compilers
- i.e. the equivalent layout of the VMT - would somehow be compromised in
future releases.

This used to be a major "feature" of BCB/Delphi compatability under
Windows,
upon which I've based design of exportable API classes from DLL's...
so I hope this is not true... but can anybody confirm this story?
I guess, they might make the C++ ABI compatible with the g++ ABI (which
would be a very good thing, IMHO) in a future release of Kylix. Would this
cause trouble for you?
Felix

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Felix E. Klee" wrote

I guess, they might make the C++ ABI compatible with the g++ ABI (which
would be a very good thing, IMHO) in a future release of Kylix. Would
this
cause trouble for you?
Yes, unless they make Delphi/Kylix ABI follow suit (under Linux)...
Kristofer

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Andrew Walsh" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
And, no offense, but the people who talk like their lives are
being tormented by Kylix and Linux and they're up to their
necks in a cesspool of endless misery should just move on.
Good point, you made me think! Perhaps I should look more seriously at
getting back to C++ and using wxWindows. I get Mac + Linux + Win32 all
in one library that people like.

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote in message
A glimmer of hope:

news:3f13595b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Cannot open it. What does it say?

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software" <alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>
wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>A glimmer of hope:
>news:3f13595b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Cannot open it. What does it say?
It says that you and I both need to get a "real" newsreader... <g>
<quote>
Yes, Linux is still a target platform for Borland. Long live Kylix, and
long live JBuilder.
Kylix is a long term investment for Borland just as JBuilder was a long term
investment in its infancy. We don't expect to see overnight financial
success from a market that is still in the "emergence" phase. When the
Linux market picks up speed, Kylix will be swept up with it, just as
JBuilder rode on the coattails of the Java market surge.
Kylix is on a development schedule proportionate to its revenue, as are
nearly all Borland products. That means Kylix may not be updated as
frequently as Delphi for Win32, or Borland may not assign as many people to
work on the next Kylix release as on the next Delphi for Win32 release.
That does not imply Borland is withdrawing from the Linux tools market. It
simply means Borland is managing its resources as any responsible,
profitable business should.
Kylix is the #1 most-used IDE for Linux application development. Period.
(Evans Data Corp, Linux Developer Survey, Fall 2001) Kylix achieved a major
share of that market within only a few months of its first release, and it
has maintained that top position ever since.
Borland has no plans to squander that hard-earned market position.
-Danny Thorpe
Compiler Architect, RAD Tools Group
Borland Software Corp.
</quote>
Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either
case, the thought is staggering. (R. Buckminster Fuller)

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>A glimmer of hope:
>
>news:3f13595b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Cannot open it. What does it say?
Look in the thread:
'Will Delphi 8 be Linux compatible?'
over in b.p.d.non-technical
Danny Thorpes answer 15.07
--
Best regards
Stig Johansen

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

Don Siders wrote:
It says that you and I both need to get a "real" newsreader... <g>
OK, what exactly does that mean? ;-)
I think I'm using a real newsreader, or does Mozilla not constitute a
real newsreader? Alessandro is probably using Outlook Express. So
which newsreader would this work with?

Re:Re: Kylix Lives!

"Kevin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
OK, what exactly does that mean? ;-)
I think I'm using a real newsreader, or does Mozilla not constitute a
real newsreader? Alessandro is probably using Outlook Express.
Alessandro and I both posted using Outlook Express... which has an untold
number of "issues".
So which newsreader would this work with?
In a perfect world... the one you have installed. Outlook Express seems to
be far from a perfect world. The URL worked fine on my recent copy of OE.
It didn't on Alessandro's. More evidence, if you ask me, that we
(Alessandro and I) need real newsreaders.
I can't comment on yours (and didn't)... I've never used it.

Don Siders wrote:
Alessandro and I both posted using Outlook Express... which has an
untold number of "issues".
The link works fine for me with Outlook Express 6.
I dont know what the untold number of issues is. OE works just fine for me.
There are some things I'd like OE to be able to do that other newsreaders
can, however those newsreaders usually fall down in other areas; at least
for me.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)