News from BorCon 2003 USA

2003-11-03 12:08:59 PM
kylix2
Ray Lischner, bless his contrary heart, asked my question for me at the
Opening Session. While his analogy was strained, linking Kylix to a
coma patient, he was spot on:
Borland, tell us if Kylix will be updated or if it will be abandoned,
so we can make our business decisions and move on.
Dale artfully passed the question on to Blake Stone, CTO. Blake
announced Borland listens to it's users, and gave those C++ users who
didn't want Kylix a solution in the form of CBuilderX. Blake then
invited Ray to talk to him after the session, and said "we listen to
our customers, if you want something from us, buy product".
I don't understand why I'd buy a product that doesn't meet my needs,
when a minor update that works on new distributions would be worth my
money.
-Brion

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
"we listen to
our customers, if you want something from us, buy product".
What a typical management nitwit.
Is he suggesting that we buy stuff we don't want or need
to give them the revenue to maybe upgrade Kylix? The logic
boggles the mind. And at this point I can't imagine anybody
buying Kylix. The world has moved on.
The only good news concerning Kylix possible out of Borland
is if they open-source it.
The sad truth is that Borland has stopped creating cool
alternatives for developers. Who needs Borland
for Java, vanilla C++, or dotnet? The above quote tells
you all you need to know about the mental level of the
people who dreamed up Borland's current business plan.
Anyway, good luck to them. But I can't imagine they can
survive on IDE's alone.

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Dale artfully passed the question on to Blake Stone, CTO.
As if the Chief Technical Officer would be able to speak to what is a
management decision, *not* a technical issue.
The reports I am getting about how Borland (at BorCon) is *not* addressing
the questions regarding the VCL and Kylix is very dissapointing.
The fact they so obviously side-stepped answering such a simple,
straight-forward question is all the answer you need.
Borland is saying that they will update Kylix if customers buy it.
Customers are saying they will not touch Kylix until Borland shows that it
is still supporting the product... Gee, I wonder what the out-come will
be...
-dennis

{smallsort}

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Dennis Landi" <none[at]none.com>wrote in message
Gee, I wonder what the out-come will be...
When Kylix was first announced, the outcome looked like a forgone conclusion
to me. So I just assumed that Borland knew something that I didn't. I
waited anxiously to find out what that "something" was. As it turns out, I
just gave them too much credit. That "something" was really "nothing".

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
When Kylix was first announced, the outcome looked like a forgone
conclusion
to me. So I just assumed that Borland knew something that I didn't. I
waited anxiously to find out what that "something" was. As it turns out,
just gave them too much credit. That "something" was really "nothing".
And people still object and object and object and object and .....
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
didn't want Kylix a solution in the form of CBuilderX. Blake then
invited Ray to talk to him after the session, and said "we listen to
our customers, if you want something from us, buy product".
Catch 22...
kjh

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Dale artfully passed the question on to Blake Stone, CTO. Blake
announced Borland listens to it's users, and gave those C++ users who
didn't want Kylix a solution in the form of CBuilderX. Blake then
invited Ray to talk to him after the session, and said "we listen to
our customers, if you want something from us, buy product".
Hmm, strange answer.
IMO Kylix offers 90 % now. It needs some work for the remaining few
percents till people are happy.
I do not really have such a big technical problem with Kylix. My major
problem is, that I do not know if Borland will maintain Kylix. As long I
do not know this, it can be dangerous to use it for some projects.
I hate this try-and-error-management decision. "Let's test the market a
little bit, and if it does not work, just stop the product". Somehow I
have the impression that these managers often have no idea about software
development. Changing the development tool just because the producers is
not willing to maintain it usually causes a complete rewrite and other
major trouble. It's not a car which you can easily switch if the old
product line is discontinued.

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

"Andreas Prucha" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
It's not a car which you can easily switch if the old
product line is discontinued.
All the more reason why a realistic, emotionally detached evaluation of
products and technologies is essential in this business. And any
"evaluation" needs to extend beyond just the technical aspects.
Developers tend to think of themselves as being more logical and rational
than the average Joe. But when it comes to critical decisions that directly
impact their livelihood; they are motivated and driven by emotion as much as
anyone else. Maybe even more so.

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

IMO Kylix offers 90 % now. It needs some work for the remaining few
percents till people are happy.

I do not really have such a big technical problem with Kylix. My major
Have you ever checked the QC bug reports filed for Kylix?
There are tons of them, a lot of major, showstopper, critical
ones.
A lot of them is there since Kylix 1, never officially fixed
(some 2 years old).
There is not a single bug fix update to any of the Kylix
versions (dbexpress, etc.).
There is the list of features for Kylix 1, 2, 3 not working
properly in the released versions but listed on the feature
lists.
I don't know what Borland executives are talking about but I
think they should say black or white for Kylix publicly and
not BS everyone.
I am amazed how can any common sense decision maker can think
that anyone will buy Kylix in its current state after some basic
research.
I would like to see Borland getting their hands out from their
$$$ and start working on Kylix. Or say to everyone to "&$$&
off (regarding Kylix) we will not do it".
They should make a decision and announce it. They had years
to think.

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

Brion L. Webster wrote:
[...] Blake
announced Borland listens to it's users, and gave those C++ users who
didn't want Kylix a solution in the form of CBuilderX.
Ummm... this may sound silly, but what about Pascal programmers that
actually WANT Kylix as a solution? CBuilderX does diddly-squat for me...

Re:News from BorCon 2003 USA

It seems that it does not worth for Borland to support them.
As the past 3 years proves it....