Re-Write

2007-01-22 11:22:59 AM
kylix1
Suppose someone sat down and said Kylix was a good thing
but Borland got certain parts wrong, what parts would u put
up as their mistakes ?
Has anyone here ever written a pascal compiler that could
be close to that of Borlands ?
How much would it cost to develop a pascal compiler from
the ground up ?
Rita

Re:Re-Write

Has anyone here ever written a pascal compiler that could
be close to that of Borlands ?
How much would it cost to develop a pascal compiler from
the ground up ?

www.freepascal.org/
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

Re:Re-Write

Rita wrote:
Suppose someone sat down and said Kylix was a good thing
but Borland got certain parts wrong, what parts would u put
up as their mistakes ?
1. Forget about Pascal. Target only C and C++
2. Use GTK+ instead of CLX or VCL
3. Avoid all pascalisms.
Has anyone here ever written a pascal compiler that could
be close to that of Borlands ?
How much would it cost to develop a pascal compiler from
the ground up ?
Freepascal and lazarus appear to be outdoing Borland on a budget of $0.
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/modules.php

{smallsort}

Re:Re-Write

1) Lazarus/FreePascal (Open source software): creates native executives
for Windows (PC), WinCE (ARM PDAs) and Linux (PC, Mac, Amiga, ARM PDAs
and some more).
2) Chrome (running on Visual Studio) (commercial product by RemObject):
Creates .NET assemblies running (supported by the supplier) on .NET (On
Windows PCs) Microsoft compact Framework (ARM PDAs), Mono (On Windows
PCs, Linux PCs and lots of different platforms <see www.mono.org>) and I
suppose there is a compact Mono version, too. I suppose it can do
DotGNU, as well.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

My two cents...
Running the Kylix development environment
is more tricky than running a compiled
application. I can still run apps made
with Kylix on SUSE 10. My vote (for
now) is to wait for a clearer path because
changing development tools is hard.
If your target is Microsoft/Net then take
a look at C# (Not C or C++). This is the
best connect for .NET and the language
was designed by the same guy that made
Turbo Pascal and Delphi - Anders Hejlsberg.
-- Mike Gallets, Giant Systems

Re:Re-Write

Running the Kylix development environment
is more tricky than running a compiled
application. I can still run apps made
with Kylix on SUSE 10.
I can still run the IDE on SuSE 10.
My vote (for
now) is to wait for a clearer path because
changing development tools is hard.
Happy waiting!
If your target is Microsoft/Net then take
a look at C# (Not C or C++).
The thread is about Kylix/Linux.

Re:Re-Write

If your target is Microsoft/Net then take
a look at C# (Not C or C++).
IMHO this recommendation holds for Linux, too, _if_ you want to go the
way of a .NET framework. There are several ways to create C# programs
(under Windows and Linux) and deploy them for Mono so that the binaries
will run in Windows and in Linux.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

I have actually been running Kylix 3 on Suse 10.0 (have not tried it on Suse
10.1) with considerable success. I do have a few font related issues, and
it took some effort to convert my large program from VCL to CLX, but overall
have been very pleased with how well Kylix seems to be working so far.
Unfortunately, the number of good third party components for Kylix is rather
limited, so if you want to do sophisticated things with Linux may end up
writing the code yourself (and quite possibly bumping up against the
limitations of the QT architecture).
By the way, I used theo's patch for Kylix (search on google: Kylix Suse 10
theo).
Good luck.

Rita wrote:
Suppose someone sat down and said Kylix was a good thing
but Borland got certain parts wrong, what parts would u put
up as their mistakes ?
Has anyone here ever written a pascal compiler that could
be close to that of Borlands ?
How much would it cost to develop a pascal compiler from
the ground up ?

Rita
MSEide+MSEgui, just released version 1.0:
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
Screenshots:
sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php
Martin

Re:Re-Write

MSEide+MSEgui, just released version 1.0:

mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
That did seem interesting but no activity since 2005. No traffic in the
newsgroups either.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

1) Lazarus/FreePascal
I just installed the latest version of Lazarus (on Windows to start
with) and was amazed to find that it now really works like expected.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

1) Lazarus/FreePascal
There are a lot of very active newsgroups and mailing lists in English
and German.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

Michael Schnell schreef:

>MSEide+MSEgui, just released version 1.0:
>
>mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/

That did seem interesting but no activity since 2005. No traffic in the
newsgroups either.
My impression is otherwise.
220 svn commits in the last 60 days:
sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php
I don't have the count here, but at least that many messages in the newsgroup at
Vincent

Re:Re-Write

I don't have the count here, but at least that many messages in the
newsgroup at news://news.dxmachine.com/public.mseide-msegui.talk
Thanks for the hint! I once attached to several msegui newsgroup that
had been announced at that time and after some initial traffic there
were no more messages since. I'll try the group you suggest right now.
-Michael

Re:Re-Write

On 2007-01-22, Rita < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Suppose someone sat down and said Kylix was a good thing
but Borland got certain parts wrong, what parts would u put
up as their mistakes ?
I'd say
- too much geared towards recompiling Delphi apps.
- too much focus on GUI. (maybe a crosscompile/remote debug solution
for server Linux apps would have been more succesful, that's
where the money was)
Also I think Linux simply has a tradition of not paying for software.
Has anyone here ever written a pascal compiler that could be close to that
of Borlands ? How much would it cost to develop a pascal compiler from the
ground up ?
A pascal compiler, a simple graduate project.
Something that can replace Kylix/Delphi (compiler only) at least 100k, more
likely several times that. More for the rest.