Redhat vs SCO

2003-08-06 11:31:05 AM
kylix2
Well, the debate is heating up at last.
Red Hat's going to sue.
Here's their legal complaint:
lwn.net/images/ns/rh-complaint.pdf
Here's SCO's "disappointed" and "ready to countersue" response:
ir.sco.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm
And in terms of how much SCO wants you to pay, it's $199 for a single-CPU
client machine, and $699 for a single-CPU server machine... if you pay by
October 15, 2003:
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030805/latu094_1.html
More pricing:
www.sco.com/scosource/description.html
Server Licenses
RTU SCO IP in a Linux Distribution Promotional License Fee
With 1 CPU
$699
With 2 CPUs
$1,149
With 4 CPUs
$2,499
With 8 CPUs
$4,999
Each Additional CPU
$749
The price will apparently go up to $1399 for the 1 CPU server
licence after that date.
Oh yes, we'll get right on cutting the checks, won't we, now? :)
-- Ritchie Annand
Senior Software Architect
Malibu Software & Engineering Ltd.
Business: www.malibugroup.com
Personal: nimble.nimblebrain.net
Wiki: wiki.nimblebrain.net

Re:Redhat vs SCO

Dave Nottage (TeamB) wrote:
This cracks me up:

"Linux includes source code that is a verbatim copy of UNIX and carries with
it no warranty or indemnification"

I don't think that all the ambiguous claims and allegation are too
credible. The funny thing is that they are changing the story every
time they talk on the subject; every new version of this mysterious
IP right and rights to control Linux users is more and more ridicules
and contradicts former explanations, statements and intends of SCO.
They are FUD Linux user and try to sale to them a form of protection
against sue retaliation; possibly illegal license for mysterious IP
to which first the court process has to establish any merit and ownership.
Brooklyn Bridge any one ?
So far we know that on the "infringing code" the "derivative works"
actually IBM owns the copyrights and patents. SCO claims some new
form of IP, a “control rights?;-)
Recently, Blake Stowell, SCO's director of public relations said:
"Copyright absolutely applies? and then “While IBM owns the
copyrights on these derivative Unix programs, SCO owns the control
rights to these and they cannot be contributed to open source. The
contracts between IBM and SCO state all of this,"
It makes me wonder how they can seal a license to Linux users just
purely on assumption that they will win in the court the contract
dispute with IBM, sometimes next several years. What happens if they
lose in court? Do they will be willing to return all the licensing
fees, compensate the industry for damages ? How? They do not making
any profit for several years, they are alienated from the market and
the industry, and the courts aren't cheap..
Regardless of whether SCO are right or not, obviously they haven't read the
GPL. Specifically, item 11.

Caldera (now SCO) chief executive Ransom Love talks about open source
and plans for Linux and Unix integration. ;-) this is the link:
insight.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020472,2093314,00.htm
"On IA32 you can run smaller applications on Open Linux, or bigger
back-office applications on OpenUnix, while on IA64 you have OpenLinux
and IBM's AIX5L, which shares 70 percent common code with UnixWare.
When we talk about unifying Unix and Linux the two have a huge amount
in common. A lot of people are running their businesses on Unix, while
Linux has a tremendous population on Web servers and other front end
servers. So we are taking both and combining them into one platform.
The only area where Linux and Unix really compete right now is for the
developer mindshare, but in future Linux will provide a whole new
applications to Unix. What it comes down to is that we have the only
platform for developers that spans from thin client to the datacentre."
and more..
www.silicon.com/news/500012/1/1025330.html
www.linuxjournal.com/article.php
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.

Re:Redhat vs SCO

Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software wrote:
"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

>What happens if they lose in court?

They would become the biggest joke ever if you ask me.
I don't think SCO will make in any court and I think they know that
too.. What they are doing is disrupting Linux business, and this
disruption effects many companies and people. The real question is
not what they are doing or in which point they are making a fool from
themselves, but why they are doing this corporate suicide? They are no
fools.. trail the money !
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/
www.superobject.com/installmade/

{smallsort}

Re:Redhat vs SCO

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
What happens if they lose in court?
They would become the biggest joke ever if you ask me.
This lawsuit is ridicolous and pointless but hey, we've seen worse <G>

Re:Redhat vs SCO

Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software wrote:
>What happens if they lose in court?

They would become the biggest joke ever if you ask me.
This lawsuit is ridicolous and pointless but hey, we've seen worse <G>
Hmmm. I don't think they need to go to court and lose for that.
--
Ruurd