Board index » kylix » Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Re: Free Kylix Version 1


2003-12-31 06:51:38 AM
kylix0
Steve wrote:
Quote
I have a copy of Kylix Version 1 that I have never opened. Its
still in the shipping box from Borland unopened.

If anyone in the USA wants it let me know and I'll ship it to you
for free.

I'm offering this because I'll never use it and I hate to throw
perfectly good stuff away. I'd rather give it away.

Steve
These are sad times for Borland.
 
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

I have a copy of Kylix Version 1 that I have never opened. Its still in
the shipping box from Borland unopened.
If anyone in the USA wants it let me know and I'll ship it to you for free.
I'm offering this because I'll never use it and I hate to throw
perfectly good stuff away. I'd rather give it away.
Steve
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Colonel Tony wrote:
Quote
I think you will have to get permission from borland to give it away....

By having not opened box he can do anything he please with it. Only
if he would install or use this software then be bound to the terms of
that license. Besides, Kylix 1 has a very good license and surely it
allows transfer.. you may transfer the software and documentation on a
permanent basis provided you retain no copies ...
Yes, Kylix 1 has a very good license. In contrast Kylix 2 had a very
prohibitive license. :(
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

I think you will have to get permission from borland to give it away....
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Steve wrote:
Quote
I have a copy of Kylix Version 1 that I have never opened. Its still in
the shipping box from Borland unopened.

If anyone in the USA wants it let me know and I'll ship it to you for free.

I'm offering this because I'll never use it and I hate to throw
perfectly good stuff away. I'd rather give it away.

Steve
Why did you never order it and never open it?
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Colonel Tony wrote:
Quote
I think you will have to get permission from borland to give it away....
Huh?
--
.. P.
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

If you are the correct owner of this software and licence, you can give
it away, but only one time, its like you buy a car and sell it ...
It's not allowed to make copies and give them away. Copies are only
for your personally backup.
regards
Prom
Phoenix schrieb:
Quote
Colonel Tony wrote:


>I think you will have to get permission from borland to give it away....


Huh?

 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

arbie288 schrieb:
Quote
These are sad times for Borland.


and for us develpers too ...
regards
Prom
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

ken moffat wrote:
Quote


Why did you never order it and never open it?

oops, scratch that first never :-)
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

prom wrote:
Quote
If you are the correct owner of this software and licence, you can give it
away, but only one time, its like you buy a car and sell it ... It's not
allowed to make copies and give them away. Copies are only for your personally
backup.
and the OP implied that it is still in the shrink-wrap, so I don't see a problem
there.
--
.. P.
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Phoenix wrote:
Quote
Colonel Tony wrote:

>I think you will have to get permission from borland to give it
>away....

Huh?
Recent Borland licenses are more careful about which rights they give
away.
In particular, your license is only valid if you obtain it from an
authorised Borland reseller, and the license is not transferrable
without permission from Borland. This does not stop you using the
product, but seems to be an attempt to shut down the 'grey market'.
I'm not a historian of Borland licenses, so I don't know at what point
the terms changed for each product, but I guess this is what Tony was
hinting at.
I suspect that Kylix 1 is old enough to have the older, more liberal
license, in which case there is no problem. But I don't have a copy
myself to check.
AlisdairM (TeamB)
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Alisdair Meredith (TeamB) wrote:
Quote
I suspect that Kylix 1 is old enough to have the older, more liberal
license, in which case there is no problem. But I don't have a copy
myself to check.
I have a copy. It would be finding it that would be the problem. :) But I suspect
that a license from that era would allow transfer of an unopened package. I can't
imagine anything in shrinkwrap not being legal to transfer, no matter what
Borland thinks they are saying in the license.
--
.. P.
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

Quote
These are sad times for Borland.
Sad times indeed, Nobody has said "Yes please I would like the software"
OK so it is old but surely someone out there would like what is after all
meant to be a good product. (Sorry I never had version 1). Or has Borlands
reputation sunk that low, with the new trainee developer community?
Cheers and a happy new year
Simon Bain
TENdotZERO
 

Re:Re: Free Kylix Version 1

ken moffat < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Steve wrote:
>I have a copy of Kylix Version 1 that I have never opened. Its still in
>the shipping box from Borland unopened.
Why did you order it and never open it?
I don't believe he said he ordered it. :)
Actually, it's possible he got a complimentary copy -- lots of
them went out. When there was a mixup in the location of
a launch event for D6 and we had to do a lot of extra driving at
the last minute, each of us was given a complimentary copy of
K1 Desktop. Actually, I never got around to installing mine.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group