Re: What to do with Kylix

2004-02-13 07:32:21 PM
kylix2
Nick Hodges (TeamB) wrote:

www.lemanix.com/lemanix/lemanixisapi.dll/Entry

Thank you for this interesting article. You stated in the first
paragraph : "adly, Kylix isn't fairing in the market place as well as
Borland would like."
I will not speculate why Kylix is not exactly what Borland anticipated
it could be in the market place, but I will rather focus on what
Borland didn't do, and still could do to make Kylix more attractive
and to effectively increase the sales of it; if that's what Borland
would like.
- Fix the completely unnecessary and very irritating bug in the
installation of Kylix - the first impression counts.
- Make all of the examples which comes with Kylix compile without
errors ?again,the first impression counts.
- Fix the dbExpress drivers and make them current.
- And first of all to announce publicly that "..perhaps we did not
decided on the next version of Kylix as yet, but we are standing
behind our product 100% and we will try to provide fixes in a timely
manner..." This by itself would restore some customer confidence in
regard of this product, and Borland as the company that we can rely on.
Furthermore, with some minimal additional investment Borland could:
- Incorporate Andreas Hausladen's patch and do extensive QA test to them.
- Recompile the Qt library with newer versions of GCC 3.2 or 3.5 and
perhaps optionally with the Intel's compiler for Linux version 8,
these compilers are producing much faster code than the GCC 2.95 used
in Kylix.
- Recompile the Kylix IDE against the newest libwine.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Nick Hodges (TeamB) wrote:
Bob Swart wrote:

>For me, Kylix is already a server development tool. <g>

Me, too, basically. But one of the main objections seems to be the
tight binding to an older version of qt. Simply take that away, and
release a "new" product. Might sell better, eh? ;-)

In regard the idea of transforming Kylix to a server/web development
tool. I think there was already Kylix Server (we have 2 boxes
$1,600.00 each) ;-)
The thing is that there are already many good development environments
for Linux in common use like the PHP -MySQL combination. So for
Kylix as such tool, to be successful must offer something new, and
much more superior, something what could make Kylix irresistible to
PHP users and Linux web developers. For example a “Totally- RAD ?
web development tool for Linux with the PostgreSQL and MySQl or
InterBase connectivity with many ready to go examples.
But the essential ingredient for any Kylix version to be successful,
is a prompt support, bug fixes and necessary upgrades.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/
www.superobject.com/imoe/download.html

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Bob Swart wrote:

But I'm not "missing" anything... I use Delphi 7 as typewriter, FTP it
over to my Linux machine, and then use the command-line compiler to
compile it to a Linux target (using some IFDEFs where required).
Kylix 3 in reality is a very good development tool despite its many
deficiencies, but one need to find a way around of many instabilities
of the Kylix IDE. One example of it would be developing a medium size
database project. It is virtually impossible not to get irritated
when after hours of work for some unknown and random reason the
database components reset some of the properties and/or do not respond
to changes when the values are changed. The work-around for me was to
prototype the interface with Kylix IDE and the real development and
testing work carry on the command line and editing with another Linux
editor (KDevelop). Linux has the nice feature that provides as many
Desktops screens as necessary, so the development environment can be
spread on many of them and be instantly accessible; Linux by itself is
a great productivity environment to me.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/
www.superobject.com/imoe/download.html

{smallsort}

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
... i.e. developer should regularly throw man-hours
on that product, or that product will be forgotten...
Unless someone offers a more practical approach (Mono?), Linux will be
forgotten as a viable desktop platform.

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Bob Swart wrote:
For me, Kylix is already a server development tool. <g>
Me, too, basically. But one of the main objections seems to be the
tight binding to an older version of qt. Simply take that away, and
release a "new" product. Might sell better, eh? ;-)
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Read my Delphi Blog -- www.lemanix.com/nick/

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Hi Nick,
>For me, Kylix is already a server development tool. <g>

Me, too, basically. But one of the main objections seems to be the
tight binding to an older version of qt. Simply take that away, and
release a "new" product. Might sell better, eh? ;-)
But I'm not "missing" anything... I use Delphi 7 as typewriter, FTP it
over to my Linux machine, and then use the command-line compiler to
compile it to a Linux target (using some IFDEFs where required).
Granted, a Kylix IDE would be nice, but I don't need it, and I'm not
sure if I actually need Qt for my web server/service or console
applications.
So for me Kylix 3 is just fine. What would you want Borland to "add" to
it? (or remove from it). And even if they did, I'm not sure I - or my
clients that use Kylix/Linux - would have the need to replace their
current Kylix 3 "way of working" (which is similar to mine) with
something new.
Deployment can be a pain sometimes, but I'm not sure if a Kylix 4 can
solve that ;-)
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
webmaster UK-BUG / DDG Developers Group - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Bob Swart wrote:
What would you want Borland to "add" to
it? (or remove from it).
To make it more palatable to the target market. In other words, people
see it and think "toy development". In other words, the qt/GUI stuff
gets in the way of seeing the power in the tool. Sometimes, less is
more.
--

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:402ce82a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Unless someone offers a more practical approach (Mono?), Linux will be
forgotten as a viable desktop platform.
You prognostications in the past about linux have proven totally
unreliable. I doubt this one is any more presceint than those in the past.
--
Iman

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

Iman L Crawford <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in
presceint
oops, prescient.
--
Iman

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
You prognostications in the past about linux have proven totally
unreliable. I doubt this one is any more presceint than those in the
past.
More unreliable than those who urged Borland to create Kylix and take
advantage of the burgeoning market for Linux on the desktop?

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:402cfcbb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
More unreliable than those who urged Borland to create Kylix and take
advantage of the burgeoning market for Linux on the desktop?
yes
--
Iman

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:402cfcbb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>More unreliable than those who urged Borland to create Kylix and take
>advantage of the burgeoning market for Linux on the desktop?

yes
Would you care to offer any facts to back your claim?

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

But I'm not "missing" anything... I use Delphi 7 as typewriter, FTP it
over to my Linux machine, and then use the command-line compiler to
compile it to a Linux target (using some IFDEFs where required).
Granted, a Kylix IDE would be nice, but I don't need it, and I'm not
sure if I actually need Qt for my web server/service or console
applications.
I use FreeVCS on windows and linux. I used wine to install it on linux and
works w/o problems.
I just check-in my source code on the windows machine and check-out on linux
and vice versa.
-i

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" wrote on his site
It can build these without all the hassles of the qt library and the
multiple layers of code

My deadline for sending app to manufacturing
is 3 or 4 days away, with lounch next friday.
So, after that I plan some free time.
I thought I'll have some 3 months ago,
when I posted original question. :(
"Hrvoje Brozovic" wrote 3 months ago
Subject: Can Kylix handle this?
I received my copy of Kylix with Delphi 7 Arhitect Package.
We use Windows and Solaris at work, and I have no use for Kylix.
But I have it, and that make me thinking.
My ISP uses some kind of Intel box running Linux for hosting.
I am aloved to use binary CGI.
I know that Kylix is buggy, and not well supported.
It's future is not clear at all.
But, it seems that bugs are in the IDE and
GUI components, and none of that is of any interest for me.
I plan to write console delphi app,
handle std input request and create std output
response in my own pure pascal code.
No databases, no framework of any kind, no nothing.
I have no trouble not even using SysUtils.
After that is done, compile source in kylix under
VMWare and upload it to my site.
If compiler works as expected, and they are
able to handle std in out flawlessly, this shoud work.
Can any of you experienced Kylix users predict
some kind of trouble in this scenario?
It seems that my idea what to do
with Kylix was pretty accurate.
But, now, with so many people
in this hot thread, can someone reassure me?

Re:Re: What to do with Kylix

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:402cfe45$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Would you care to offer any facts to back your claim?
I'll offer twice as many as you have to back yours.
--
Iman