Re: Announcing CrossFPC / looking for helpers

2005-05-09 03:16:11 AM
kylix2
That would be a step back. The goal is to simply compile
Delphi code with FPC. No parser/state-machine/translation needed.
Yes, the goal is to compile without code change but FCP must be complatible
with Delphi.

Re:Re: Announcing CrossFPC / looking for helpers

On 2005-05-08, Piotr Szturmaj < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>That would be a step back. The goal is to simply compile
>Delphi code with FPC. No parser/state-machine/translation needed.

Yes, the goal is to compile without code change but FCP must be complatible
with Delphi.
So the may push of efforts should be directed in that direction, not in the
direction of temporary ugly hacks as translations.
No real common errors are left on the pure parser level. New ones that
emerge are dealt with swiftly.
The remaining problems are nearly all deep internal or missing RTL routines
- an issue with VMT layout, which is important for COM interfaces,
- resources need to be implemented for non windows targets. And compatible.
- while there is a reasonably initial implementation of variants, more
needs to be done,
- vararrays support is new and not complete.
- custom variants are missing.
Problem is a bit that FPC core are not really into COM and variants, so work
only progresses slowly, as issues are discovered one at a time. Also working
cleanroom slows progres of course.
This could be accelerated by sb with a good general knowledge about OLE/COM
and variants and customvariants to help enhance the variants unit and
provide an initial implementation of custom variants.

On 2005-05-08, Thomas Mueller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Simon Kissel wrote:

>CrossFPC is an IDE addin for Delphi 6/7/2005 (and future versions)
>that allows to use the FreePascal compiler as a compile target inside the
>Delphi IDE.

While this is an interesting idea there is one big problem with this (as
well as with crosskylix): No source level de{*word*81} support.
Not Cross OS. One can debug the binaries with any GDB or -frontend though,
this however requires src on system.
FPC and Lazarus are debugged that way. And while not as easy as Delphi by a
mile, it goes a long way with some practice.
I think Lazarus could be used to debug crossfpc programs on the target host
directly, but though harsher, the commandline gdb use is probably more
stable.
As long as I can't just use the de{*word*81} within the Delphi IDE debugging a
program running on a different platform this won't be much more than just
that: An interesting idea. (And of course I would like to ditch Windows
completely and develop with Kylix (or Delphi 2005 for Linux) for other
platforms as well.

btw: Is there Eclipse support for Object Pascal yet?
Does Eclipse provide cross-debugging at all?
I tried searching on eclipse.org, but found nothing. There used to be a
kdevelop thingy though, but IIRC it was very basic only.

{smallsort}

On 2005-05-07, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
theo wrote:

>Of course. Writing an IDE on Linux is a different project.

KDevelop, Eclipse. Both have a plugin interface.
But is that suitable to something like Delphi? From what I have seen from
those I somewhat doubt that.
One of the things I always miss with a lot of packages is that they separate
designing a form from programming the handlers. So I from any GUI I require
that to work like Delphi (or JBuilder) does.
So roughly the add a button, click the button, program the handler routine.
Without much ado or naming steps.

Re:Re: Announcing CrossFPC / looking for helpers

Would this be for console based apps only? or would I be able to compile
apps with forms as well?
This would allow 64bit compiling as well correct?

That would be a step back. The goal is to simply compile
Delphi code with FPC. No parser/state-machine/translation needed.

Simon

Re:Re: Announcing CrossFPC / looking for helpers

Would this be for console based apps only? or would I be able to compile
apps with forms as well?
The goal is to allow - using the FreeCLX project - to also allow compilation of VCL
forms applications, yes.
This would allow 64bit compiling as well correct?
Yes, if FreeCLX gets ported to 64bit, this also would be possible.
Simon

Re:Re: Announcing CrossFPC / looking for helpers

the project sounds nice.
but why not just go for the development of lazarus? this is what i see:
for CrossFPC, one needs a licensed Delphi. it's goal is the make Delphi
will run on platforms that fpc runs on. the job here is to transport
fpc to Delphi.
but for lazarus, the focus would be on creating components (and
documentation) to meet industrial needs or catch up with Delphi
achievements.
more so, among those who invested with the price tag that Delphi comes
with, who would be interested in the project, given that most of them
have bought delphi as it by itself is already capable of fulfilling
their needs?
finally, wouldn't it be better to use the skills in improving lazarus
to immitate some of delphi's features rather than to try to get delphi
get what lazarus (or fpc) already has? in this way, lazarus users would
be more interested when compared to the already delphi buyers/users.
just a thought...