Follow up Marketshare in Delphi NG

2005-08-15 02:22:58 AM
kylix0
davout wrote:
I'm talking about IDE tools sales here, not solutions.

Well, that isn't exactly what you said. :). Follow ups in Kylix NG.
With so much free stuff around (allbeit of questionable value) what
Borland
had to do was produce a Linux developer focused high quality 'Turbo-****'
style product that sold for less than a $100.

Instead they persisted with the failed 3 tier pricing scheme which is
driving them to their own funeral.

That I agree with. I think that if you are going to choose PAY FOR over cost
hundreds or thousands of dollars, you really need something of great value
to the customer. That is why Oracle's sales on Linux are up over 100%, even
when there are FREE databases (Firebird, Postgres, mySQL).
Oracle, SAP, CA, and IBM are ALL making huge amounts of money selling
Databases, Utilities, and tools for Linux. Why? They offer something that
the free/open source tools do not.
I think the major problem with Kylix (which was a great start), is that
Borland released the 1st version with major major bugs. People who tried it
went back to Java, KDevelop, Ajunta, or Python (Black Adder). Although
these products were not nearly as RAD, they did not suffer from the huge
bug parades Kylix 1 did.
Kylix 2 was better, but still buggy. Two major versions for hundreds of
dollars does not bode well in new markets. Plus the support for various
distros was always lagging behind. I do not blame this on Borland per se,
that is just the way it was (the bugs however, were Borland's
responsibility and they were killers).
By version 3 of Kylix, Borland had a pretty reliable IDE. However, they did
not keep up with the later Kernels nor QT libs. Therefore, to use Kylix 3,
meant that you had to use older Linux systems (or find non supported
patches). The same is true, not only with GUI development, but also the
Apache libs.
Linux is not a major desktop contender yet either. For me, it is GOLD. No
more viruses, no more downloading updates every other day at best, or every
other week, at least. However, there are many companies that have huge
investments in proprietary Windows apps, that will just not run on Linux
(without buying VMWare).
Server side Linux is kicking major butt, from MS to Solaris to Unix in
general.