Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

2003-08-10 10:09:42 PM
kylix1
"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
Copyrights cover derivative works. Creating derivative works is how
everything has moved forward.
Who's gonna sue me for having made RO? <G>

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Rosimildo da Silva" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Absolutely. Look at all innovation that Linux brought to light. <g>
Yes, where would the world be without yet another *nix clone.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Roal Zanazzi" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Oh, that's a simple one: everything done by Microsoft, isn't it? <vbg>
I was thinking everything done by Open Source <VBG>.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software" <alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>
wrote in news:3f3651f6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Who's gonna sue me for having made RO? <G>
Borland has given you permission to use their libraries as derivitive
works. I haven't checked, but does borland protect you from patents they
may infringe upon? I know MS haven't in the past, and most EULA don't.
Also don't search too hard, I'm sure RO infringes on numerous patents.
Probably shared between IBM, MS, and Sun.
--
Iman
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe.

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3f36563f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Yes, where would the world be without yet another *nix clone.
the same place we'd be without a VMS clone. :)
--
Iman
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe.
Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
Borland has given you permission to use their libraries as derivitive
works. I haven't checked, but does borland protect you from patents they
may infringe upon?
Borland didn't originally invent remoting. I was referring to who actually
invented it <G>
I know MS haven't in the past, and most EULA don't.
Also don't search too hard, I'm sure RO infringes on numerous patents.
Probably shared between IBM, MS, and Sun.
LOL So, I am screwed <G>

wrote in message news:3f372dce$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Also don't search too hard, I'm sure RO infringes on numerous patents.
>Probably shared between IBM, MS, and Sun.
Actually, give me a few examples.
I am not objecting your sentence. I need some creativity <G>I cannot
imagine what I could possibily infringe but I know lawyers are very creative
<G>

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
>Yes, where would the world be without yet another *nix clone.
the same place we'd be without a VMS clone. :)
Guys, let's be objective here: the inventors of paper, tables and windows
are the real innovators. The rest is just a copy that adds no value to the
original idea <MG>

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>Remember the Borland/Lotus lawsuit.

That had to do with look and feel.
It had to do with both functionality and 'look and feel'.
I don't think it had to do with
copyrights, but I may be remembering wrong.
It was a copyright infringement lawsuit.
www.benedict.com/digital/software/lotus/lotus.asp
Lotus lost. However justice delayed was denied in this case.
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Oh, that's a simple one: everything done by Microsoft, isn't it? <vbg>

I was thinking everything done by Open Source <VBG>.

Well, I have never read about any open source project proclaiming it
"innovates".
Anyone sufficiently open-minded should admit that it's at least
ridiculous that MS says it "innovates", when it's obvious (at least to
the not-ignorant guys) it just sales something invented/done by others.
And it is even more ridiculous that it uses the "freedom to innovate"
flag on the legal side to cover what is (obviously, again) a
not-so-legal behaviour.
Anyway, innovation is not a predictable event, it could be spread on the
long term, and it could not be so clear to the people living in that
time period.
Innovation is also not so clear in its meaning and domain;
and it could just not fit to the time and/or social conditions when it
appears (Galileo Galilei once said: "Eppur si muove", but it took
relatively long time before his "innovation" was accepted widely).
One could say that open-source is clearly innovative in a social way,
and I could agree with that, even if I use Microsoft products and I
don't actively partecipate in open-source projects.
But this is an old discussion, anyone will stupidly remain on their
respective positions, isn't this soo sad?
I just sit down and wait, thinking how funny it is that two formerly
"friends" (for economical reasons) now are one against the other in this
subtle battle. After all humans are humans, even if they group up and
name themselves IBM and Microsoft, and money is money (in our western
social model).
Best regards,
--
Roal Zanazzi

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

RZ>Well, I have never read about any open source project proclaiming it
RZ>"innovates".
I have never seen any innovations incoming from open source projects. Nearly
all innovations mostly going from commercial companies or scientists that
able to put significant time/brain resources on the problem solution.
RZ>[...]
RZ>I just sit down and wait, thinking how funny it is that two formerly
RZ>"friends" (for economical reasons) now are one against the other in
RZ>this subtle battle. After all humans are humans, even if they group
RZ>up and name themselves IBM and Microsoft, and money is money (in
RZ>our western social model).
BTW, MS customers is most protected from this stupid battle between SCO and
IBM/Linux community. :-)

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Roal Zanazzi" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
One could say that open-source is clearly innovative in a social way ...
No, sorry; the social and philosophical aspects of Open Source are cloned as
well.

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software"
<alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>wrote in
Actually, give me a few examples.
I tried looking for patent remote procedure call, try 5,218,699. That was
the first one I found.
I am not objecting your sentence. I need some creativity <G>I cannot
imagine what I could possibily infringe but I know lawyers are very
creative
My problem is I can't read patents. None of the words mean what I think
they mean or what the dictionary says they mean. I need to get a law
dictionary I guess.
--
Iman
"If I had to live my life all over again," said Woody Allen, "I'd do it all

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Alessandro Federici - RemObjects Software"
<alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>wrote in
Guys, let's be objective here: the inventors of paper, tables and
windows are the real innovators. The rest is just a copy that adds no
value to the original idea <MG>
The clay tablet guys have prior art on the paper guys. :)
--
Iman
"If I had to live my life all over again," said Woody Allen, "I'd do it all
exactly the same ?only I wouldn't read Beowulf."

Re:Re: IBM strikes back .. SCO in a canopy.. ;-)

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
I have never seen any innovations incoming from open source projects.
Apache, ReiserFS, numerous programming languages. It seems to me there are
no programming language innovations happening anywhere but open source.
Nearly all innovations mostly going from commercial companies or
scientists that able to put significant time/brain resources on the
problem solution.
That doesn't preclude them from being open source projects.
BTW, MS customers is most protected from this stupid battle between
SCO and IBM/Linux community. :-)
No they're not. MS is protected. Read your EULA, MS never protects the
end user.