Open Edition still viable?

2005-09-04 12:57:02 AM
kylix1
Aside from the limitations listed below, is the Kylix Open Edition still viable for learning Delphi language and creating simple non-commercial GUI apps for Linux? Can you use FreeCLX with it?
Any other recommendations like which distro I should setup on my PC development box? Can I create fully linked executables (i.e. not dependent on a particular shared object library) that can run on newer Linux distros? Any other tips?
Supported Linux?distributions
Mandrake?8.2
Red Hat?Linux 7.2
SuSE?7.3
Thanks

Re:Open Edition still viable?

Marco A wrote:
Aside from the limitations listed below, is the Kylix Open Edition still
viable for learning Delphi language and creating simple non-commercial
GUI apps for Linux?
Why not go to Borland's homepage and look for it in the download section?
www.borland.com/downloads/download_kylix.html
Can you use FreeCLX with it?
The CLX shipped with Kylix OE is newer than FreeCLX, but without DB
support.
Any other recommendations like which distro I should setup on my
PC development box?
For me it worked with RH9, SuSE 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. But SuSE 9.3 uses a
kernel>=2.6.11. And with all Kernels>=2.6.11 the integrated De{*word*81}
doesn't work anymore. Kernel 2.6.10 is the last kernel it works (for the
moment)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Open Edition still viable?

Andreas,
You mention that KOE works on Suse 9.2. I have K3 Professional and can't
get it to work at all. I even installed your patches and nothing works
which is a shame because I really like this distro. It installs fine, but
when I try to launch either the Delphi or C++ IDE, I can see the cursor
change to the Kylix cursor and see the icon in the Taskbar at the bottom,
them it terminates. I never even see the splash screen.
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Marco A wrote:

>Aside from the limitations listed below, is the Kylix Open Edition still
>viable for learning Delphi language and creating simple non-commercial
>GUI apps for Linux?

Why not go to Borland's homepage and look for it in the download section?
www.borland.com/downloads/download_kylix.html

>Can you use FreeCLX with it?

The CLX shipped with Kylix OE is newer than FreeCLX, but without DB
support.

>Any other recommendations like which distro I should setup on my
>PC development box?

For me it worked with RH9, SuSE 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. But SuSE 9.3 uses a
kernel>=2.6.11. And with all Kernels>=2.6.11 the integrated De{*word*81}
doesn't work anymore. Kernel 2.6.10 is the last kernel it works (for the
moment)

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/blog)

{smallsort}

"Chief" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
You mention that KOE works on Suse 9.2. I have K3 Professional and can't
get it to work at all. I even installed your patches and nothing works
which is a shame because I really like this distro. It installs fine,
but when I try to launch either the Delphi or C++ IDE, I can see the
cursor change to the Kylix cursor and see the icon in the Taskbar at the
bottom, them it terminates. I never even see the splash screen.
Did you export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 ?
Jonathan

Re:Open Edition still viable?

Just tried it. No luck. Still bombs out.
news:431a16ab$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

I wrote:
>For me it worked
On my P4 3GHz HT (512MB) it worked with Kernel 2.6.8 to 2.6.10 and with
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
But that does not mean that it works an all SuSE 9.2 installations. For
example I have not installed Kylix 3 on it, I copy it since RH 9.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Open Edition still viable?

have a look in the borland kylix.distros.compatibility newsgroup.
There are a few questions regarding SuSE 9.3
siegs

Chief wrote:
Andreas,

You mention that KOE works on Suse 9.2. I have K3 Professional and can't
get it to work at all. I even installed your patches and nothing works
which is a shame because I really like this distro. It installs fine, but
when I try to launch either the Delphi or C++ IDE, I can see the cursor
change to the Kylix cursor and see the icon in the Taskbar at the bottom,
them it terminates. I never even see the splash screen.
as root
echo 1>/proc/sys/vm/legacy_va_layout
second problem could be glibc , which version is installed on your computer.
if it's 2.3.5 then you have to downgrade to 2.3.4.

Re:Open Edition still viable?

"Chief" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Just tried it. No luck. Still bombs out.
I was able to get it to work using Suse9.2 by adding
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.0
into the top of the startdelphi and startbcb scripts.
Jonathan

Re:Open Edition still viable?

Have you tried to run it from the command line, so you can see what
errors occur. Launching it from the icon, hides those messages.
I had such a problem as well. When I ran it from a bash shell I found it
does like my LOCALE, so I had to export LC_LOCAL=US or something like
that, instead of my current LC_LOCALE=C
Regards,
- Graeme -