Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

2003-10-30 09:58:06 AM
kylix2
"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
It's strange the a FLUSH_CACHE command would be used as an
UPLOAD_FIRMWARE command.
A little but it does make some sense when you consider that firmware
(apparently in flash memory) is the only thing that can be written to the
drive.
What's more strange is an installer for *free* software trying to write to
the install disk.

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

On 10/30/03 08:02 +0900, JQP wrote:
"Harry Barclay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3fa044b2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I think they confirmed that it was a problem with the design of the
drives.

As they say, there are two sides to every story.

Strange that an installer would issue a FLUSH_CACHE command which is
normally associated with *writing* to the drive. Particularly when the
drive isn't even capable of writing.
Yep. There's no reason for that command to be used.
Looks like a confirmed software problem to me.
Yep. HOWEVER, that software bug will not smoke an ATAPI-compliant
drive. The onus is still on LG. Part of writing firmware is
ensuring that the device responds appropriately to commands sent
to it by software. It's no different than writing a server
application that can handle unexpected responses from a client.
The bottom line lay with LG here.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

The bottom line lay with LG here.
But will they pick up the bill in every case?
I have some LG drives on my system, so is it my
responsibility to make sure that I don't accidentally hit
the same bug?
Certainly flagging these sort's of problems widely is
essential. How many people have had a fault report from LG :)
-----
Lester Caine

{smallsort}

On 10/30/03 16:51 +0900, Lester Caine wrote:
>The bottom line lay with LG here.

But will they pick up the bill in every case?
I suspect that depends on the consumer protection laws (if they
even exist) in the district in which the drive failed.
I have some LG drives on my system, so is it my
responsibility to make sure that I don't accidentally hit
the same bug?
It certainly appears so. :-\
This is the nastiest sort of problem -- a software bug that
brings to light a hardware bug. Worst of all, the bug results in
failure of the hardware. Ouch. It makes for the ultimate in
bi-directional finger pointing. :roll eyes:
Certainly flagging these sort's of problems widely is
essential. How many people have had a fault report from LG :)
I wonder how long it'll take for LG to issue a firmware upgrade.
Also, a firmware loader that can restore a dead drive might be a
wise move.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan
// mp3.com/trane_francks/

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
What's fixed now? The firmware ... or the software?
both.
--
Iman

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa0700e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
A little but it does make some sense when you consider that firmware
(apparently in flash memory) is the only thing that can be written to
the drive.
no it does not make sense. It goes against the ATAPI standard.
What's more strange is an installer for *free* software trying to
write to the install disk.
I guess per the standard the command should be ignored.
--
Iman

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa12e13$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
I'm sure this is comforting to those with the subject drives.
the warranty should be honored for those drives that were messed up.
--
Iman

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa12e13$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
I'm sure this is comforting to those with the subject drives.
For anyone lurking,
If you have one of these drives make sure you have firmware>1.00.
--
Iman

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
>What's fixed now? The firmware ... or the software?

both.
I'm sure this is comforting to those with the subject drives.

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"Iman L Crawford" <ilcrawford.at.hotmail.dot.com>wrote in message
the warranty should be honored for those drives that were messed up.
Expect future hardware warranties to include disclaimers regarding Linux
installs.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>the warranty should be honored for those drives that were messed up.

Expect future hardware warranties to include disclaimers regarding Linux
installs.
TROLL
--
www.mailtrap.org.uk/
www.ibrox.demon.co.uk/

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa0493b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
"Andreas Prucha" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>And?

And the installer for Mandrake Linux has destroyed some people's
hardware.
No, not really. AFAIK The drives used the flush-buffer ATAPI-command as
write-firmware command. Mandrake tried to call flush-buffer, and the
drive interpreted it as write-firmware. Why should the Mandrake-people
care about abuses of commands? And it's almost impossible to test
software on all available hardware. You /have/ to expect that the
hardware reacts as described in standards.

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3fa046fc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
Strange that an installer would issue a FLUSH_CACHE command which is
normally associated with *writing* to the drive. Particularly when the
drive isn't even capable of writing.

Looks like a confirmed software problem to me.
IIRC it was not the installer itself. If I got it right, Mandrake tried to
test if it's a writeable CD-ROM. Since it's not everybody would expect that
the drive returns an error, and not destroys itself.

Re:Re: Yikes!!! Linux fried my hardware

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM :

Almost every PC in existence contains hardware that can be damaged in
some way by malicious or buggy software.

I agree. But only buggy hardware does something different than as
documented.