Re: newsgroup traffic?

2003-10-27 11:48:32 PM
kylix2
PhilO wrote:
There are some fixes, but not enough for some people. What would be
interesting
is what percentage of users are a least somewhat impacted by unfixed bugs.
Is it 2% or 30% or what?
100% for me. I quit trying to use Kylix for any development, shortly after
the BCB version came out and it was so full of holes, it is totally
unusuable.
Kylix 3 Delphi comes much closer, but the lack of keeping Kylix up to date
with the latest distros, has cuased us to do all xplatform development in
Java. With the newer JDk 1.4.x, Java on Linux is pretty darn good and bugs
are addressed rapidly by the JCP.

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

pNichols wrote:

Kylix 3 Delphi comes much closer, but the lack of keeping Kylix up to date
with the latest distros,
Have you tried the latest unofficial patch at:
www.kylix-patch.de.vu
?

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Ender wrote:
Of course best variant if Kylix will understand g++ 3.2 ABI and link with
"standard" Qt. I'm wonder why they aren't going to make some kind of
agreement with GCC team? To be compatible.
That would be nice but there are macros and inline functions that meight
be translated to Delphi.
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Ken Moffat wrote:
I was afraid the lack of a new version sent everyone packing off to
Windows / VB land. ;-)
FWIW, Linux by itself sends me packing back to Windows. I'm beginning
to believe the people who said Linux still has a long way to go on the
desktop. As a desktop OS, it's horrid. Disclaimer: this is my
ultra-personal-nearsighted-humble opinion <g>
I can see why people like it for server-side applications, though.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Ender wrote:
It is easy to get paranoid by writing server application and once it
being put under real load discover that it completely unusable
because of memory leak in dbExpress driver.
Out of interest: which driver(s) has (have) a leak? QC report
reference(s)? I'll add it to the list of questions to take to BorCon.
I think Kylix mean very little for expansion of Linux. It only moved
interest of certain Windows developers on the Linux side.
I expect there were some Linux developers that took up Kylix, too.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

PhilO wrote:
There are some fixes, but not enough for some people. What would be
interesting
is what percentage of users are a least somewhat impacted by unfixed
bugs. Is it 2% or 30% or what?
I guess we (my business) have been lucky so far.. we're about 2 weeks
away from shipping and haven't hit one bug (that isn't our own) that
affects us... yet <g>
We've used several of the common controls, some third party GUI
controls, dbExpress (to MySQL), thread classes etc.
I also wrote the bot that logs in to the general chat room:
chatjet.borland.com/borland
..and ported it to Kylix. It's back to being a Windows service however
that was only because we wanted to host it on a Windows machine. When
it was a Linux daemon it didn't have any bugs affecting it, either
(that weren't my own). OTOH, being a daemon it had no GUI, however it
used several classes from the Indy library, thread classes, a stack of
RTL functions etc.
As I say, given what I've seen here and in QC, perhaps we've been lucky.
--
Dave Nottage (TeamB)

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

DNT>Out of interest: which driver(s) has (have) a leak?
Oracle.
DNT>QC report reference(s)?
QC 3180 - Memory leak when inserting BLOB data into Oracle tables
QC 3799 - TSQLConnection memory leak (actually it is dbExpress driver leak,
read comments please)
DNT>I'll add it to the list of questions to take
DNT>to BorCon.
And other bold and bad errors i believe caused not dbExpress driver but
DataCLX code.
QC 3413 - ORA-06550 when Oracle stored function is called.
QC 3415 - dbExpressError: Invalid parameter raised for output params in the
SQL
You may freely download all ~200 Kylix bug descrptions and ask question
about each. :-) Delphi bugs is small, Kylix bugs mainly very serious. Almost
all from K1. :-(
>I think Kylix mean very little for expansion of Linux. It only moved
>interest of certain Windows developers on the Linux side.
DNT>I expect there were some Linux developers that took up Kylix, too.
I have about 20 familiar Linux developers, that i see every week. Almost all
look on it with great suspiction and refused to use it. Top five reasons
they told to me:
1. Can't use gcc compiled stuff because of ABI incompatibility.
2. Closed source for CLX packages and dbExpress drivers.
3. No internationalization support
4. Can't use latest Qt shipped with used distro.
5. Compatibility problems with different Linux distros as for environment as
for apps.
After about two years of _my_ work with Kylix they looked on me and say: "We
was totally right, one more reason - too many bugs and no bugfixes." Only
two tried to use Kylix and damned it after few months of work... however
there is projects written in Kylix and i need to maintain it now.

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

DNT>I guess we (my business) have been lucky so far.. we're about 2
DNT>weeks away from shipping and haven't hit one bug (that isn't our
DNT>own) that affects us... yet <g>
DNT>[...]
Lucky man. Look on bugs filled by me. About 30 reports and each hit me hard.

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Dave Nottage (TeamB) wrote:
Ken Moffat wrote:

>I was afraid the lack of a new version sent everyone packing off to
>Windows / VB land. ;-)

FWIW, Linux by itself sends me packing back to Windows. I'm beginning
to believe the people who said Linux still has a long way to go on the
desktop. As a desktop OS, it's horrid. Disclaimer: this is my
ultra-personal-nearsighted-humble opinion <g>

I can see why people like it for server-side applications, though.

Try Libranet 2.8.1. (Debian offshoot)
It runs kylix 3 (at least open edition) with the unofficial patches from
www.kylix-patch.de.vu
Open office 1.1 (from Debian sid) is much improved.

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

ken moffat wrote:
Have you tried the latest unofficial patch at:
www.kylix-patch.de.vu
?
I'm not very familiar with this patch. But AFAIU it offer changed sources,
so i need to delete corresponding sources and DCU's and use only static
linking? It's include packages?

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Dave Nottage (TeamB) wrote:
FWIW, Linux by itself sends me packing back to Windows. I'm beginning
to believe the people who said Linux still has a long way to go on the
desktop. As a desktop OS, it's horrid. Disclaimer: this is my
ultra-personal-nearsighted-humble opinion <g>
I'm feel myself pretty comfortable with latest "KDE candy". It's has closest
look to my beloved XP-Reflection. These guys doing "right things". Most bad
thing is lack of various comfortable development tools like TOAD (i know
about TORA, but it terribly unstable), IBExpert, Microangelo and others...
I can see why people like it for server-side applications, though.
Yes. It is good style for server app creators to write huge and detailed
logs. In case of problem there is great change to fix it quickly.

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Ender wrote:
I'm not very familiar with this patch. But AFAIU it offer changed
sources, so i need to delete corresponding sources and DCU's and use
only static linking? It's include packages?
It includes the bplpvisualclx.so and bplpvisualdbclx.so packages and
redirects the bplvisualXXclx.so.6.9 link to bplpvisualXXclx.so.6.9 (where
XX can be "db" or empty)
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu unofficial VisualCLX patches)

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

But I will release a new version this weekend.
--
Regards
Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu unofficial VisualCLX patches)

Re:Re: newsgroup traffic?

Hi Paul,
Kylix 3 Delphi comes much closer, but the lack of keeping Kylix up to
date with the latest distros, has cuased us to do all xplatform
development in Java. With the newer JDk 1.4.x, Java on Linux is pretty
darn good and bugs are addressed rapidly by the JCP.
- Have you found any full featured grid and lookup controls like Woll2Woll,
DevExpress... for Java?
- Same for reporting. Have you found anything like RB, FastReports... for
reporting?
- My feeling is that the Delphi 3rd party market is stronger for Delphi
than it is for Java but I may be wrong.
- BTW, which IDE do you use for Java development. Borland's JBuilder,
Eclipse, Oracle ?
Thanks to share your experience.
Regards,
Oliver