RH9 rebuild kernel help

2003-10-31 02:37:21 AM
kylix0
I'm not quite sure where to post this, but I figured this is a good place to
start.
I'm trying to rebuild the RH9 Kernel in order to eliminate the Kylix 3 bug that
shows up with the open/save dialog. (I tried installing 2.4.21 kernel with the
"unofficial" patches, but my machine won't boot from that one.)
So I've got the source for 2.4.22 kernel. I run through it and it always says
that the footprint is too big. I'm running zImage at the end, and the resulting
file is down to 902kb now, which is apparently still too big.
I'm wondering if anybody here has a .config file you could share with me that I
could use to build this small enough. You can email it to me at:
d.schwartz(at)asu.edu (A config file for 2.4.21 would be ok, too.)
(I reset everything to the default values, then made the SCSI support a Module
option, added Reiserfs and a couple of things like parallel port support, and
switched a few other options to Module support. There just doesn't seem to be a
heck of a lot of stuff to exclude now without losing access to parts of the
hardware, like USB support.)
thanks
-David

Re:RH9 rebuild kernel help

Forgot to mention that this is for a machine with an Intel Pentium 3 CPU on it.

Davids < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I'm not quite sure where to post this, but I figured this is a good place to
start.
A Linux newsgroup would have been better ...
So I've got the source for 2.4.22 kernel. I run through it and it always
says that the footprint is too big. I'm running zImage at the end, and the
resulting file is down to 902kb now, which is apparently still too big.
Are you sure it says that the kernel is too big? When I compile a kernel, I'm
usually told that the result is too big for booting from a floppy disk. I
have never had a problem booting such a kernel from the hard disk.
I'm wondering if anybody here has a .config file you could share with me
that I could use to build this small enough.
I'd use a copy of the config file that RedHat used to compiler your current
kernel.

{smallsort}

Re:RH9 rebuild kernel help

I recently went through this process, check out these web pages for a nice
step by step guide:
For non-redhat systems:
www.keyspan.com/support/linux/docs/recompile/
For Red Hat:
www.keyspan.com/support/linux/docs/redhatrecompile/
Best of luck!
Tyler
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:49:15 -0700, Davids wrote:
Forgot to mention that this is for a machine with an Intel Pentium 3 CPU on it.

Davids wrote:

Re:RH9 rebuild kernel help

Davids wrote:
So I've got the source for 2.4.22 kernel. I run through it and it always says
that the footprint is too big. I'm running zImage at the end, and the resulting
file is down to 902kb now, which is apparently still too big.
Did you do 'make zImage', or 'make bzImage'? You need to do the latter,
the former gives the error you describe.
HTH,
Micha.

Re:RH9 rebuild kernel help

aha! It seems that solved the problem.