Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

2003-12-13 01:42:09 PM
kylix2
>2. Compiler not available on other platforms (UNIX'es).
MM>Honestly, i dont care if the IDE is necessarily hosted on every
MM>platform I target as long as I can comiple with make.
But this is key to widespread of Delphi language in *x world. One of great
advantages C/C++ that it has compiler for almost all platforms. Kylix itself
has problems even with certain commonly used Linux distros. And this is
enough for existing Linux users not to use Kylix.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

Mike Margerum wrote:
>What JDK version are you using? This is not true with 1.4.2,

whats not true, the high memory usage or performance problems. it
still seems to use a lot of memory tho it does run fast. The graphics
are noticably slower than win32 apps.

>>Is there a way using the JDK to not JIT code and cut the memory usage
>>down?
>>
>Sure, but you are speaking of major speed impediments.

This is what I dont get. Python is interpreted but its runs really
fast. Its doesnt use a buttload of memory because it doesnt need ot
JIT. Why cant java run respectably without JIT'ing?
Java runs as fast or faster in most cases, than Python. So, I guess you are
either using (A) Pythons apps that are much simpiler than there Java
counterparts, or (B)You are using a very old JVM.
I have used both and in most cases Java wins speed wise, hands down. The
exception would be if you are using the native QT widgets with Python. In
this case, for a fair comparison between Python and Java, you would need to
use the SWT libs in the Eclipse libraries, or use the QT Java libraries, or
the GTK Java libraries. Personally, I would opt for the SWT libraries,
since the documentation and xplatform nature, is reserved.
However, I do not know why most people keep thinking JDK 1.4.x is the same
as 1.1.x

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

Mike Margerum wrote:
>Enforcing method signature for example. Compile errors if you do not throw
>or catch an exception specified by a called method for example. Compile
>errors if you happen to forget an '=' as in:
>
>if (x = true) {}
>
>to name a few examples.

Bah. The compilers i use warn me about this type of scenario. A
better example is forgetting a break statement is a switch. Now that
can be a {*word*156}e to find.
He is speaking of Java here Mike. This one has been a known de{*word*81} bug for
a while.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

"Mike Margerum" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I just dont get what all of the fuss is about. Who cares if something
is write once if it doesnt run well anywhere.
People who have invested in proprietary, overpriced "enterprise" hardware
and are now searching for an escape route.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

p>However, I do not know why most people keep thinking JDK 1.4.x is the
p>same as 1.1.x
Because they usually use one or two Java-based apps which usually include
certain JVM in their installation. They usually does not differ versions of
JVM's 1.1 vs. 1.4. it is just Java or not-Java application.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

better example is forgetting a break statement is a switch. Now that
can be a {*word*156}e to find.
Unfortunately other than with "=" you can't avoid the warning if you
intentionally want to drop through into another case (ok you could use a
goto...).
-Michael

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

oops sorry. misread that post.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

i agree aside from GUI toolkits java is faster than python. My point
was python runs acceptbly without JIT'ing, so why cant that be an
option for java?

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

Mike Margerum wrote:
i agree aside from GUI toolkits java is faster than python. My point
was python runs acceptbly without JIT'ing, so why cant that be an
option for java?
It is, -nojit, but why would that be important? JIT turns it into native
exe/bin code.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

It is, -nojit, but why would that be important? JIT turns it into native
exe/bin code.
Because JIT'd code uses such a ridiculous amount of memory.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

"Mike Margerum" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Because JIT'd code uses such a ridiculous amount of memory.
In other words, Java's JIT is shit<g>?

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Because JIT'd code uses such a ridiculous amount of memory.

In other words, Java's JIT is shit<g>?
How would you know? You have never used it.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

Mike Margerum wrote:
>It is, -nojit, but why would that be important? JIT turns it into native
>exe/bin code.

Because JIT'd code uses such a ridiculous amount of memory.
You mean like DOT.NET?

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
How would you know? You have never used it.
Note the question mark at the end of my post. Also note the "<g>". It was
meant as a humourous paraphrasing of a prior post.
But now that you brought it up, there is no need to "use" it (as in waste
time building something with it). Just find an interesting Java app (if you
can<g>), load it, watch the memory usage, observe the performance and draw
your own conclusions.

Re:Re: DElphi/Kylix Vs. Java ??

"pNichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>Because JIT'd code uses such a ridiculous amount of memory.
You mean like DOT.NET?
You'll never know since you don't use it <G>