K questions

2004-01-02 03:53:32 AM
kylix1
Hi all.
Can someone ( or may be some TeamB person ) answer me to that 2 my simple
questions:
1. Is Kylix dead ? Will be any K4 version ?
2. Is that true that CLX is no longer supported by D8 ?
TIA.
Mark.

Re:K questions

In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Mark < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
<3ff47abd$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
1. Is Kylix dead ? Will be any K4 version ?
Kylix is all but dead. Though Borland has not officially pulled the plug,
they have officially stated that there will
be no updates or new versions of Kylix in 2004.
2. Is that true that CLX is no longer supported by D8 ?
D8 is for .NET and has no CLX capability of any kind. It does have a VCL.NET
for porting VCL into .NET. But there is nothing for CLX. Presumably Mono
would allow D8 stuff to run on Linux if Mono ever fully materializes. That's
as close
as Delphi is going to get you to Linux these days.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:K questions

Is there a migration path from Kylix to C++BuilderX?
Will there a "PascalBuilderX" for the users who used Object Pascal in Kylix
previously?
"Captain Jake" <johnjac76[nospam]@comcast.net>wrote in message
In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, Mark < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message
<3ff47abd$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>1. Is Kylix dead ? Will be any K4 version ?

Kylix is all but dead. Though Borland has not officially pulled the plug,
they have officially stated that there will
be no updates or new versions of Kylix in 2004.

>2. Is that true that CLX is no longer supported by D8 ?

D8 is for .NET and has no CLX capability of any kind. It does have a
VCL.NET
for porting VCL into .NET. But there is nothing for CLX. Presumably Mono
would allow D8 stuff to run on Linux if Mono ever fully materializes.
That's
as close
as Delphi is going to get you to Linux these days.

--
***Free Your Mind***

{smallsort}

Re:K questions

I use Borland's products even before Delphi 1, and I thought that day will
never come, but I see how the ship named "Borland" slowly sinking, and
nothing more left for us the "small rats" to start abandon it. No CLX, no
multiplatform. M$ way is not our way - it's time to find other opportunity.
But I'm still wondering: How much "uncle Bill" must "invest", so Boland to
left behind such great ideas ?
Mark.
P.S. I'll be surprised if the post left more than 10 min in the forum.

Re:K questions

"Mark" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:3ff54c0c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
M$ way is not our way - it's time to find other opportunity.
But I'm still wondering: How much "uncle Bill" must "invest", so Boland to
left behind such great ideas ?
Oh c'mon. It's evident theat Kylix was a poor seller from day one.
The pro version was originally priced well above what its traditional
Delphi buyers were willing to pay. And any price was too high for
the software wants to be free penguins. Even after its 75% price
reduction there was little interest in the tool as evidenced by the
number of messages in the Kylix NGs.
<sarc>Also, I suppose "uncle Bill" needs to double his investment as
Borland is still developing and selling JBuilder. </sarc>
--
Hilton Evans
ChemPen Chemical Structure Software

Re:K questions