Gambas for RAD under Linux

2004-12-06 05:13:42 AM
kylix0
Have a look at Gambas.
It is a new rad environment with hooks to Postgresql , Mysql and Sqllite.
Good things:
It is free
It is still actively developed
It runs on most versions of Linux
It can emit installation packages for most common Linux packaging systems.
Problems:
It uses a dialect of basic
( but you can use it to generate a GUI that can then be programmed in C++)
It lacks the polish and functionality of Kylix
(but it is rapidly improving)

Re:Gambas for RAD under Linux

Problems:
It uses a dialect of basic
( but you can use it to generate a GUI that can then be programmed in C++)
It lacks the polish and functionality of Kylix
(but it is rapidly improving)
- It is Linux-only, and not cross-platform
- It uses QT, and therefore can't be used for commercial development without
buying a license form trolltech
- It's BASIC. Yuck.
And, finally:
- It's totally off-topic here.
Simon

"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
- It is Linux-only, and not cross-platform
So when did this group become borland.public.kylix.crossplatform ?
- It uses QT, and therefore can't be used for commercial development without
buying a license form trolltech
Not a problem if you release your work as open source.
- It's BASIC. Yuck.
True.
However, it is not dead like Kylix.
- It's totally off-topic here.
Wrong.
It is another rad alternative on Linux.

{smallsort}

Re:Gambas for RAD under Linux

>- It is Linux-only, and not cross-platform
So when did this group become borland.public.kylix.crossplatform ?
You listed "Problems" aka drawbacks of that product. Borland Kylix
is a cross-platform offering, Gambas is not. That's a problem, right?
>- It uses QT, and therefore can't be used for commercial development without
>buying a license form trolltech
Not a problem if you release your work as open source.
Right.
>- It's totally off-topic here.
Wrong.
It is another rad alternative on Linux.
This borland.* newsgroups are about discussing alternatives to Borlands products.
You are abusing Borlands resources to post advertising material for competiting
products. You are abusing Borlands resources by posting false information stating
that Kylix is abandoned, while it's still being sold.
In other words: You are acting "harmful to the business interests of Borland", which
is against the newsgroups guidelines.
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html
Please get lost. From now on I'll simply ignore you and hope TeamB comes around
and takes care of this matter.
Simon

Re:Gambas for RAD under Linux

This borland.* newsgroups are about discussing alternatives to Borlands products.
^ add a NOT here :)
Simon

Israel T wrote:
Have a look at Gambas.
It is a new rad environment with hooks to Postgresql , Mysql and Sqllite.

I do not understand what your motivations are for posting these things
here..
Not to criticise Gambas, but it does not sound like you want to create
real business apps - like you can with Kylix for a Delphi developer. Why
don't you rather use an alternative mature technology like Java instead?
Have a look around, however I am sure Kylix will still be here waiting
for you in the end :)
siegs

Re:Gambas for RAD under Linux

"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Please get lost. From now on I'll simply ignore you
Plonk.
Into my kill file.

Israel T wrote:
"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Please get lost. From now on I'll simply ignore you

Plonk.
Into my kill file.
And you are into everyone elses.