Cross-platform library

2005-08-19 01:49:33 AM
kylix2
I said a while ago:
I'm trying to build a cross-platform library, that will incorporate a GUI
system similar to the VCL. It will be cross-compiler, and I'm hoping that
I'll be able to get it to work in Pascal. It is basically a C++ shared
library, and so I hope that I'll just have to write a Pascal header for
it
to be C++ / Pascal.

The GUI system will be completely library-drawn, so apps on Windows and
Linux, written using this library will look and act the same.
And, now I've finally finished an alpha release for you all to check out,
and give me your opinions on.
www.jomitech.com/jaf
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
And, now I've finally finished an alpha release for you all to check out,
and give me your opinions on.
Some info regarding the library:
Written in C++
Uses GD for drawing. I'm thinking if changing this, maybe someone has a
replacement for me ?
Currently only has a JFButton, JFLabel and JFTextBox.
Currently only supports Windows, but that is going to be changed.
The example project demos the three components currently in the library. I
would really appreciate component submissions, ideas, bug reports,
suggestions etc.
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
And, now I've finally finished an alpha release for you all to check out,
and give me your opinions on.
I'm sorry about the bugs in that first release. I forgot to include some
necessary headers, and so those who downloaded it, must have had problems
trying to build their own apps, or compile the example.
So, I've finished alpha release 2. Please give me opinions / feedback /
ideas etc. Please even tell me if I'm wasting my time.
www.jomitech.com/jaf
Jonathan

{smallsort}

Re:Cross-platform library

So, I've finished alpha release 2. Please give me opinions / feedback /
ideas etc. Please even tell me if I'm wasting my time.
I'll be honest: As a Delphi/Kylix/Pascal user, I think this is useless and
you are wasting your time.
There are already more than enough c/c++ GUI toolkits on the market.
Simon

Re:Cross-platform library

"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'll be honest: As a Delphi/Kylix/Pascal user, I think this is useless
and
you are wasting your time.
Thank you very much for being honest.
There are already more than enough c/c++ GUI toolkits on the market.
The problem I have with those toolkits, is that they either don't look
fancy, or they have complicated APIs. I don't want to look like I already
have decided that this is not a waste of time, but I would like to check if
I do have valid reasons.
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

I agree with Simon I'm afraid - I think you're completely wasting your time.
The problem I have with those toolkits, is that they either don't look
fancy, or they have complicated APIs.
Can you explain how yours will "look fancy"? Not quite sure what you mean.
Most developers don't care about that - we want speed and a great library.
I don't understand the complicated API's point either - what will you be
doing exactly to simplify?
Dean
news:430779b4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Dean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I agree with Simon I'm afraid - I think you're completely wasting your
time.
Thank you. I don't want to go ahead on a useless expedition. <g>
Can you explain how yours will "look fancy"? Not quite sure what you
mean. Most developers don't care about that - we want speed and a great
library.
I don't really have a problem with libraries like wx and Qt under Windows
and Mac, but under Linux most that I know of, tend to lose the "commercial"
look. Eg: www.wxwidgets.org/images/screens/minimal_gtk.gif. Qt is ok
here, but it does cost. Whereas mine will always look the same regardless
of the platform.
I don't understand the complicated API's point either - what will you be
doing exactly to simplify?
Well, maybe I don't know much here, but it seems complicated. For example
the event handling:
In wxWidgets, you use event tables. This seems like going back to OWL and
MFC, but maybe I'm wrong.
In GTK, you use signals and you connect them to the app.
In QT, it seems to be similar to GTK.
In mine, like the VCL, you just assign the event handling methods, eg:
JF_SETNOTIFICATION( MyButton->OnTrigger,
(JFSimpleNotificationFunction)(&JFMyWindow::MyButtonTrigger) );
Another thing is the design of the API. It resembles the VCL API, because I
think that Borland "got it right".
Have you looked at the Example1.cpp file ? Because you might be able to see
what I mean.
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

OK Jonathon, thanks.
I'll take another look and at the example source code.
Dean
news:4309a053$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>I agree with Simon I'm afraid - I think you're completely wasting your
>time.

Thank you. I don't want to go ahead on a useless expedition. <g>

>Can you explain how yours will "look fancy"? Not quite sure what you
>mean. Most developers don't care about that - we want speed and a great
>library.

I don't really have a problem with libraries like wx and Qt under Windows
and Mac, but under Linux most that I know of, tend to lose the
"commercial" look. Eg:
www.wxwidgets.org/images/screens/minimal_gtk.gif. Qt is ok here,
but it does cost. Whereas mine will always look the same regardless of the
platform.

>I don't understand the complicated API's point either - what will you be
>doing exactly to simplify?

Well, maybe I don't know much here, but it seems complicated. For example
the event handling:

In wxWidgets, you use event tables. This seems like going back to OWL and
MFC, but maybe I'm wrong.
In GTK, you use signals and you connect them to the app.
In QT, it seems to be similar to GTK.
In mine, like the VCL, you just assign the event handling methods, eg:
JF_SETNOTIFICATION( MyButton->OnTrigger,
(JFSimpleNotificationFunction)(&JFMyWindow::MyButtonTrigger) );

Another thing is the design of the API. It resembles the VCL API, because
I think that Borland "got it right".

Have you looked at the Example1.cpp file ? Because you might be able to
see what I mean.

Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

Have you seen this (vcf-online.org/)? Looks similar to what you're
trying to achieve.
--
Ray Mond

Re:Cross-platform library

"Ray Mond" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Have you seen this (vcf-online.org/)? Looks similar to what
you're trying to achieve.
Yes, I have seen it. I downloaded it and VCF Builder today, and it comes
very close to what I'd like, or rather
BCB/Kylix is. Maybe this is an option for me, but I'm not sure. Still seems
to be beta.
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

"Dean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'll take another look and at the example source code.
Thank you very much. Have you looked at it yet ?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Have you seen this (vcf-online.org/)? Looks similar to what
>you're trying to achieve.
PS. It doesn't support Pascal, so this is a big negative for me. Not that
I'm a Pascal programmer, but I want a Pascal / C++ library.
Jonathan

Re:Cross-platform library

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
"Dean" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:4309a053$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Can you explain how yours will "look fancy"? Not quite sure what you
>mean. Most developers don't care about that - we want speed and a great
>library.

I don't really have a problem with libraries like wx and Qt under Windows
and Mac, but under Linux most that I know of, tend to lose the "commercial"
look. Eg: www.wxwidgets.org/images/screens/minimal_gtk.gif. Qt is ok
here, but it does cost. Whereas mine will always look the same regardless
of the platform.

Hi Jonathan, I know you want to have your library look the same on all
platforms. But just to be honest to wxWidgets, they can be compiled with
gtk2+ which in my opinion looks better, more "modern". It's then
comparable to Qt in the look&feel.
Pavel

Re:Cross-platform library

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:09:50 -0400
"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>"Ray Mond" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>Have you seen this (vcf-online.org/)? Looks similar to what
>>you're trying to achieve.

PS. It doesn't support Pascal, so this is a big negative for me. Not that
I'm a Pascal programmer, but I want a Pascal / C++ library.
Since yours is a C++ library as well, have you though about how you're going to achieve Pascal compatibility, when the VCF is maybe unable to ?
Differently: why not maintain Pascal bindings for the VCF ?
Micha

Re:Cross-platform library

"Pavel Reznicek" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi Jonathan, I know you want to have your library look the same on all
platforms. But just to be honest to wxWidgets, they can be compiled with
gtk2+ which in my opinion looks better, more "modern". It's then
comparable to Qt in the look&feel.
GTK does have a "nice" look. I also like how you can "theme" it:
Eg: (I really like this one)
themes.freshmeat.net/projects/1in1-xp-gtk/
Also, I do think that the RAD addon for wxWidgets to dev-cpp is fairly good
too, but buggy.
So, maybe instead of building a library, I need to build a cross-platform
IDE based on wxWidgets / wxPascal ?
Jonathan