Board index » kylix » Lazarus

Lazarus


2004-01-03 03:45:53 AM
kylix0
Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks promising.
The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base and frequent
updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi, other Borland products
and especially .Net.
 
 

Re:Lazarus

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Quote
Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user
base and frequent updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi,
other Borland products and especially .Net.
Who are "we"?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Java: the elegant simplicity of C++ and the blazing speed of
Smalltalk." -- Roland Turner
 

Re:Lazarus

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Jeff Undercash wrote:

>Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
>promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user
>base and frequent updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi,
>other Borland products and especially .Net.

Who are "we"?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)

"Java: the elegant simplicity of C++ and the blazing speed of
Smalltalk." -- Roland Turner
Forgive him Rudy.
He want to say
"<You>don't see much future in Kylix, ...."
And that's why you from "B" stop believe in it.
How pity..
 

{smallsort}

Re:Lazarus

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
Quote
Jeff Undercash wrote:
Who are "we"?
They! :-)
 

Re:Lazarus

Rider of the storm wrote:
Quote
"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
news:xn0dct7bemxxkf00orudyspc@medion3000...
>Jeff Undercash wrote:

>Who are "we"?

They! :-)
You mean... Them? Run for the hills!
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Happiness is good health and a bad memory."
- Ingrid Bergman (1917-1982)
 

Re:Lazarus

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Quote
Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks promising.
The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base and frequent
updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi, other Borland products
and especially .Net.
I think lazarus is great! It just need to be a little more easy to
install and compatible (it actually don't work well on my knoppix)
and it would be perfect!
 

Re:Lazarus

Mark wrote:
Quote
Forgive him Rudy.
He want to say
"<You>don't see much future in Kylix, ...."
And that's why you from "B" stop believe in it.
How pity..
Er... I read this again. Are you thinking that TeamB are Borland
employees? We're not.
www.teamb.com
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."
-- Mark Twain (1835-1910)
 

Re:Lazarus

{MSX} wrote:
Quote
Jeff Undercash wrote:

>Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
>promising.
>The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base and
>frequent
>updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi, other Borland
>products
>and especially .Net.


I think lazarus is great! It just need to be a little more easy to
install and compatible (it actually don't work well on my knoppix)
and it would be perfect!

There are various versions of fpc and lazarus. Some seem to be less
successful in cooperating. Knoppix is deb based, There is a deb for fpc
in sid (maybe elsewhere?) and you can get a tarball or the cvs from
www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php
It's a bit ragged, but coming along. I just saw a post on the lazarus
list where someone is making .debs. They will be here shortly:
wiki.shortcircuit.net.au/
 

Re:Lazarus

Jeff Undercash wrote:
Quote
Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base
and frequent
updates.
I agree - it looks promising. And I say that even though I have not yet
managed to successfully link and run a simple 'Hello World' project. I have
nonetheless seen enough to think that this is a project worth keeping an
eye on.
Does anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to include support for
C++?
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London
Homepage: graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/
Email Address: Please see my Home Page
 

Re:Lazarus

Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
Quote
Jeff Undercash wrote:

>Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
>promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base
>and frequent
>updates.

I agree - it looks promising. And I say that even though I have not yet
managed to successfully link and run a simple 'Hello World' project. I
have nonetheless seen enough to think that this is a project worth keeping
an eye on.

Does anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to include support for
C++?
Lazarus site states no future development planned for C/C++. I owuld look at
Borland Builder X, which looks extremely promising.
 

Re:Lazarus

"Jeff Undercash" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
promising.
The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base and frequent
updates. We don't see much future in Kylix, Delphi, other Borland
products
and especially .Net.


Is the Lazarus at the level of Delphi 2 or at least Delphi 1?
-i
 

Re:Lazarus

pNichols wrote:
Quote
Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:

>Jeff Undercash wrote:
>
>>Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
>>promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user base
>>and frequent
>>updates.
>
>I agree - it looks promising. And I say that even though I have not yet
>managed to successfully link and run a simple 'Hello World' project. I
>have nonetheless seen enough to think that this is a project worth
>keeping an eye on.
>
>Does anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to include support for
>C++?

Lazarus site states no future development planned for C/C++. I owuld look
at Borland Builder X, which looks extremely promising.
Currently C++ BuilderX does not support RAD using VCL or CLX, and it is not
clear whether or not future releases will. In the absence of a clear
commitment from Borland, I am interested in finding a platform to which I
can migrate my project if need be.
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London
Homepage: graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/
Email Address: Please see my Home Page
 

Re:Lazarus

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:52:04 -0800, Ioan Ghip wrote:
Quote
Is the Lazarus at the level of Delphi 2 or at least Delphi 1?
The IDE or the compiler?
The compiler should be close to D7 I think, while the IDE... well, how do
you measure that?
johannes
 

Re:Lazarus

pNichols < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Borland Builder X, which looks extremely promising.
Is there a form designer in BCBX?
I did not found that on feature matrix and not from
personal edition either.
Vesa
 

Re:Lazarus

Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
Quote
pNichols wrote:

>Chris Gordon-Smith wrote:
>
>>Jeff Undercash wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone used Lazarus at www.lazarus.freepascal.org? It looks
>>>promising. The coolest thing about Lazarus is its enthusiastic user
>>>base and frequent
>>>updates.
>>
>>I agree - it looks promising. And I say that even though I have not yet
>>managed to successfully link and run a simple 'Hello World' project. I
>>have nonetheless seen enough to think that this is a project worth
>>keeping an eye on.
>>
>>Does anyone know how easy / difficult it would be to include support for
>>C++?
>
>Lazarus site states no future development planned for C/C++. I owuld look
>at Borland Builder X, which looks extremely promising.

Currently C++ BuilderX does not support RAD using VCL or CLX, and it is
not clear whether or not future releases will. In the absence of a clear
commitment from Borland, I am interested in finding a platform to which I
can migrate my project if need be.

No, Builder X will use wxWindows as the default GUI platform. Since this is
pretty much a main stream Open Source way to build XPlatform GUIs, I, for
one, am glad Borland is not going a strict proprietary CLX/VCL route.
Think if Kylix had been able to use a GNU, Intel, Borland, Forte, or
Micosoft compiler in the beginning. Think if Kylix had been able to tie
into any framework and any compiler for x operating system. Would that not
be a dream?
That is where I see Builder X heading. All of the preliminary stuff I have
tried compiling and running on Xplatforms has worked well. I wish I had a
MAC and could try that. I have tried it on Windows, Solaris, and Linux, all
with very good results.
Why Borland only came out with the GUI Builder preview for Windows, I do not
understand (like you). wxWindows is not normally associated with Windows
development, but Unix. Of course the beauty of wxWindows is it is OS
independent, but I would have preferred to try it out on Linux, since I
only run Windows to update legacy applications.
Once Borland gets Builder X perfected, I can easily see it becoming
Borland's number one selling tool. JBuilder is getting a lot of competition
these days, albeit it is still my favorite. But Eclipse and Net Beans are
definitely getting better with each release.