Board index » kylix » Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect


2004-04-01 06:32:09 PM
kylix1
Pascal,
Thanks for this very interesting information.
Max.
"Pascal Boivin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht
Quote
Hi

I just want to tell everybody that Kylix 3 install and work as is on SUSE
9.
No patch required, no special setup, just perfect!

--
************************
* Pascal Boivin *
************************


 
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

"Max Bernaert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<406bf090$0$1941$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
Quote
Pascal,

Thanks for this very interesting information.

Max.

"Pascal Boivin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht
news:WWW_F1C38FD8@www.nbautomation.com...
>Hi
>
>I just want to tell everybody that Kylix 3 install and work as is on SUSE
9.
>No patch required, no special setup, just perfect!
>
>--
>************************
>* Pascal Boivin *
>************************
>
I am new to Linux this year, but have many years with MS (the other
OS). I start CS courses this summer including some pascal,c, and c++.
I first looked at Kylix and Borland gently pushed me away because it
had not been tested. I tried Lazarus. Couldn't even complie the little
program in the tutorial without errors. You sound really confident
about Kylix. I must say that I was quite interested in it when I read
about it as well. Mostly because I want to program on SuSE 9 and need
to be able to take the programs to "that other OS" as well.
My experiance with SuSE and Linux so far has been exciting and
educational I just want to make sure before I make the investment that
this is the right thing to do. Also on a more personal not, long term,
I want to learn to write useful programs - on linux.
Quote
>
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

"Max Bernaert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:<406bf090$0$1941$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
Quote
Pascal,

Thanks for this very interesting information.

Max.

"Pascal Boivin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht
news:WWW_F1C38FD8@www.nbautomation.com...
>Hi
>
>I just want to tell everybody that Kylix 3 install and work as is on SUSE
9.
>No patch required, no special setup, just perfect!
>
>--
>************************
>* Pascal Boivin *
>************************
>
>
Pascal,
I am new to Linux and using SuSE 9 (and loving it). I played with VB 5
way back when. Not much of a programmer - yet. I love databases and
what can be done by writing your own programs. So, this summer I start
taking CS courses. I know Kylix 3 is probably over kill for school,
but I hope to do a little learning on the side. I digress.
Obviously you and many others here have more experiance than I, so I
am just wondering how much testing you did on suse 9 with it? When I
talked to Borland they naturally pushed me away because they have not
tested it themselves.
Thanks for posting this in the first place. I have been looking
everywhere for someone with experiance who had some feedback.
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:55:11 -0500, "Pascal Boivin"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Hi

I just want to tell everybody that Kylix 3 install and work as is on SUSE 9.
No patch required, no special setup, just perfect!
Didn't work for me. It installs ok but I try to build anything and it
won't compile. Even a simple blank form that comes with creating a
new project will not compile
Damon Register
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

Did you install as ROOT or as a normal user? I don't remember wich one was
working, but only one of them!
I've changed my PC in the meantime, now I'm using SuSE 9.1 PRO and didn't
reinstall Kylix yet.
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

Pascal Boivin wrote:
Quote
Did you install as ROOT or as a normal user? I don't remember wich one
was working, but only one of them!

I've changed my PC in the meantime, now I'm using SuSE 9.1 PRO and didn't
reinstall Kylix yet.
With SuSE 9.1, i've put the CD in the computer, wait 3 seconds for the
"Autorun" to start. It ask me the root password, and install without
problem.
Without rebooting, I click on Kylix (Delphi) and nothing shows up. After a
reboot, same thing. I was going to uninstall it using Yast, but Yast tell
me some files were missing for Kylix. I let Yast install the missing file.
Kylix was still not starting, so i've look in the
borland.public.install.kylix and found that (Subject: Kylix 3 and Suse
9.1):
Edit your StartDelphi/StartBCB script, and add
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.0
Now, everything is fine!
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

Quote
Now, everything is fine!
Hi,
I have SUSE 9.1 with kernel 2.6.x . I just installed kylix3 open edition
But after ANY compilation, my compiler get down with the very "famous
messsage":
Vmem.c : 90 !bad error code.
I installed kylix3 as normal user ( not root ).
I cannot simply use kernel 2.4.x because of company policy. I have to use
SUSE 9.1
Som my general question is: is kylix3 for me?
Anybody has any solution for this situation?
Sincerely Yours
Boguslaw Fries
 

Re:Re: Kylix3 on SUSE 9 = Perfect

Boguslaw Fries wrote:
Quote


>Now, everything is fine!
Hi,

I have SUSE 9.1 with kernel 2.6.x . I just installed kylix3 open edition
But after ANY compilation, my compiler get down with the very "famous
messsage":
Vmem.c : 90 !bad error code.
I installed kylix3 as normal user ( not root ).

I cannot simply use kernel 2.4.x because of company policy. I have to use
SUSE 9.1
Som my general question is: is kylix3 for me?
Anybody has any solution for this situation?
Sincerely Yours
Boguslaw Fries
Seems fine but where is "StartDelphi/StartBCB" script to edit, I'm just busy
to migrate from windows then a little bit slow to understand.
Many thanks,
Phil.