Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

2008-01-10 05:07:40 PM
kylix2
Hi People,
The subject is my question.
I know that Borland doesn't officially support the product, but i still want
to try some time...
Has anyone information about obtaining the product and the latest version ?
Regards and thanks...
Serdar K.

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

Why not try Lazarus ?
-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

I tried and I liked it very much,
but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.
Need to test it very long time.
I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be used
in a critical national project.
Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K, but in
Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M (in
windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I assume
that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may be
bigger code.
If you know some solutions about that, i would like to try it, because i
want to go on one path for Windows and Linux...
Regards,
Serdar
"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Why not try Lazarus ?

-Michael

{smallsort}

On 2008-01-14, Serdar K <serdar.kiziltoprak>wrote:
I tried and I liked it very much,
but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.
Need to test it very long time.
I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be used
in a critical national project.

Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K, but in
Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M (in
windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I assume
that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may be
bigger code.
strip it. It has debug info internal. So strip <x>on the cmdline. I always
use the rough rule of thumb that Lazarus size =< 1.5 * Delphi size. If
that's not the case there is something else wrong
Not that it might be wise to keep an eye out for Kylix anyway if you are on
a tight schedule.

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

I tried to set the Xs option, but the size didn't change very much. 13MB
still...
And the test app only has two simple forms and no code.
Thanks for the answer.
Regards,
Serdar
On 2008-01-14, Serdar K <serdar.kiziltoprak>wrote:
>I tried and I liked it very much,
>but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.
>Need to test it very long time.
>I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be
>used
>in a critical national project.
>
>Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K, but
>in
>Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M
>(in
>windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I
>assume
>that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may
>be
>bigger code.

strip it. It has debug info internal. So strip <x>on the cmdline. I
always
use the rough rule of thumb that Lazarus size =< 1.5 * Delphi size. If
that's not the case there is something else wrong

Not that it might be wise to keep an eye out for Kylix anyway if you are
on
a tight schedule.

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

uncheck all debug option page in Lazarus
"Serdar K" <serdar.kiziltoprak at ume dot tubitak dot gov.tr>
сообщи?сообщила ?новостях следующе?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>On 2008-01-14, Serdar K <serdar.kiziltoprak>wrote:
>>I tried and I liked it very much,
>>but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.
>>Need to test it very long time.
>>I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be
>>used
>>in a critical national project.
>>
>>Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K,
>>but in
>>Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M
>>(in
>>windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I
>>assume
>>that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may
>>be
>>bigger code.
>
>strip it. It has debug info internal. So strip <x>on the cmdline. I
>always
>use the rough rule of thumb that Lazarus size =< 1.5 * Delphi size. If
>that's not the case there is something else wrong
>
>Not that it might be wise to keep an eye out for Kylix anyway if you are
>on
>a tight schedule.

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.
Did you use strip ? (You can enable stripping in the Lazarus project
settings.)
Need to test it very long time.
? What do you mean by that ?
I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be used
in a critical national project.
AFAIK, the _compiler_ (FPC) is very secure. What is still in late Beta
state is the Lazarus IDE and the LCL (visual component library),

Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K, but in
Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M (in
windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I assume
that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may be
bigger code.
See above ("stripping").
-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

I just learned that with the current compiler
-Xs does not work if -g is set.
So if using Lazarus options be sure that you set -Xs and do not set -g.
-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

Hi,
"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>but the code size is very big and that makes more concerns about the sw.

Did you use strip ? (You can enable stripping in the Lazarus project
settings.)

>Need to test it very long time.

? What do you mean by that ?

I meant to be sure like other IDE's and compilers tested since years, like
Delphi, i need
to test the software a while...
I like Lazarus, and being open of it, but that will not be only my decision.
And there are many VCL libraries like JEDI. Do you know any library work for
LCL ?
Thanks.
>I need to find some compiler i can be sure of integrity which will be
>used
>in a critical national project.

AFAIK, the _compiler_ (FPC) is very secure. What is still in late Beta
state is the Lazarus IDE and the LCL (visual component library),

>Some test program i write in Delphi (only one form) compiles in 400K, but
>in
>Lazarus it is about 20Mbytes, and when optimized, it sizes down to 13M
>(in
>windows). But when i add new forms its size doesn't change much. I
>assume
>that Lazarus adds all libraries at once whether you use them, or it may
>be
>bigger code.

See above ("stripping").

-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I just learned that with the current compiler
-Xs does not work if -g is set.

So if using Lazarus options be sure that you set -Xs and do not set -g.

-Michael
The size is now smaller, i.e. 1.5 MB, which is more usable by me.
I will at least switch my personal projects into Lazarus in some time.
Because i like its portability.
Thanks and regards,
Serdar

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

And there are many VCL libraries like JEDI. Do you know any library work for
LCL ?

Any Library for Delphi that you have in source code should be usable
with Lazarus with only minor modifications At least in a Windows
environment, but many will quite easily be ported to work in Linux as
well. But right now not many commercial suppliers specify their products
for Lazarus. I only know one: RemObjects specify their RPC project to
work with Free Pascal (and thus with Lazarus).
-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

The size is now smaller, i.e. 1.5 MB, which is more usable by me.
Good to hear that !
In the Free Pascal Developers mailing list the executable size issue
just was discussed at some extend.

I will at least switch my personal projects into Lazarus in some time.
Because i like its portability.

Great !
-Michael

Re:Is there any place where I can get Kylix legally ?

Since Lazarus doesn't support the BPL package project format, I understand
that i have to install i.e. JEDI components individually, or create a new
project and add the units. Is there any easier way for this ?
Or is there some VCL-LCL converter ?

Serdar K wrote:
Since Lazarus doesn't support the BPL package project format, I understand
that i have to install i.e. JEDI components individually, or create a new
project and add the units.
AFAIK, Jedi "officially" supports Lazarus, so I suppose there is some
installation scrip or whatever.
Regarding non-visual components "installing" is nothing more than
setting the search paths to the appropriate source code or compiled units.
Regarding _visual_ components, with Lazarus you need to recompile
Lazarus itself to install something in the Visual Component Gallery.
Installing (and using) the help files provided with some commercial
components is not possible with Lazarus. This might be a major problem,
if they don't provide a stand alone help file.
Or is there some VCL-LCL converter ?

I don't understand what you mean VCL and LCL are just libraries and are
not bothered with installing 3rd party stuff.
Of course VCL and LCL are not 100% compatible. You supposedly will need
to do some work "porting" your own and the 3rd party components to
Lazarus/LCL.
-Michael